Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 10:14 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,685,759 times

Advertisements

I really miss the days when people who didn't read much or know much beyond their work knowledge, were not aligned with any political party, and openly admitted their ignorances. I respected those people who were able to say,"I don't really know much about that." Compare that with all the internet experts we suffer on a daily basis. Self made doctors, medical researchers, statisticians, sociologists, all pouring onto the web to spread their gospel of a supposed superior point of view.

In the case of Covid19 research we have the truly educated people allowing us their conclusions regarding the best way to protect ourselves, and then we have social media/internet-educated types telling us these real docs are just lefty tools and outright simpletons. We know that this virus has no political component so the web-doctors just apply their pretzel logic to a medical dilemma and--Presto, the virus has now mutated into an integral appendage of the Democratic party.

I don't know how most people go about seeking advice from all manner of professionals, but I just listen to what they have to say and then ask for the best way to move forward with whatever problem I've been dealing with. I don't go to a dentist and then tell them how I think they should proceed, same with an electrician, Lawyer, or anyone who has been truly educated in their field. And yes, I listen to Dr Fauci and Dr Osterholm for the same reason, I know my limitations. I'm grateful for the truly educated people who are trying their best to help us, and I'm perplexed, to say the least, by those who have morphed into experts based on their less than stellar knowledge--Of anything..

I thought that this video-education phenomenon may have found it's way into the medical field through the advent of DIY television shows and YouTube presentations wherein the entirety of a home remodel is accomplished in a mere half hour and, supposedly, the expertise needed to do this is adequately demonstrated in ways that allow the average homeowner to tear out walls and entire bathrooms and be done with the remodeling in a weekend. I have known people who think of themselves as knowledgeable nutritionists, home remedy types who freely give their advice to the masses, I've known my share of DIY'ers who feel they have the expertise to tackle almost any job, from complex auto repair to carpentry. And, like the vaccine doubters, they think of the REAL pros as cheats who just take your money while doing very little work. What has happened to the notion of education as a prerequisite to having true knowledge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 03:13 PM

22 posts, read 16,929 times
Good! The more who get vaccinated the better. Don't most healthcare orgs require other routine vaccinations, like the flu shot anyway? It's part of keeping people healthy after all.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:35 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,757,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I really miss the days when people who didn't read much or know much beyond their work knowledge, were not aligned with any political party, and openly admitted their ignorances. I respected those people who were able to say,"I don't really know much about that." Compare that with all the internet experts we suffer on a daily basis. Self made doctors, medical researchers, statisticians, sociologists, all pouring onto the web to spread their gospel of a supposed superior point of view.

In the case of Covid19 research we have the truly educated people allowing us their conclusions regarding the best way to protect ourselves, and then we have social media/internet-educated types telling us these real docs are just lefty tools and outright simpletons. We know that this virus has no political component so the web-doctors just apply their pretzel logic to a medical dilemma and--Presto, the virus has now mutated into an integral appendage of the Democratic party.

I don't know how most people go about seeking advice from all manner of professionals, but I just listen to what they have to say and then ask for the best way to move forward with whatever problem I've been dealing with. I don't go to a dentist and then tell them how I think they should proceed, same with an electrician, Lawyer, or anyone who has been truly educated in their field. And yes, I listen to Dr Fauci and Dr Osterholm for the same reason, I know my limitations. I'm grateful for the truly educated people who are trying their best to help us, and I'm perplexed, to say the least, by those who have morphed into experts based on their less than stellar knowledge--Of anything..

I thought that this video-education phenomenon may have found it's way into the medical field through the advent of DIY television shows and YouTube presentations wherein the entirety of a home remodel is accomplished in a mere half hour and, supposedly, the expertise needed to do this is adequately demonstrated in ways that allow the average homeowner to tear out walls and entire bathrooms and be done with the remodeling in a weekend. I have known people who think of themselves as knowledgeable nutritionists, home remedy types who freely give their advice to the masses, I've known my share of DIY'ers who feel they have the expertise to tackle almost any job, from complex auto repair to carpentry. And, like the vaccine doubters, they think of the REAL pros as cheats who just take your money while doing very little work. What has happened to the notion of education as a prerequisite to having true knowledge?
Yes. This is exactly what I’ve been thinking.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:01 PM

527 posts, read 387,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

THIS is exactly the problem with our world today.

According to your logic the Wright brothers should have stuck to building bicycles right?

You want to know why so many people are seeking out alternative means of information?

Do you want to know why “vaccine hesitancy” is so high?

It was people like Dr. Fauci LYING about natural immunity.

“If I have antibodies, T-Cells and B-Cells, (still high months after infection) all to help me fight a pathogen,
Why is Dr. Fauci saying I should loose my job if do not take an injection that gives me only 1 aspect of what I already have?”

It’s beautiful to see humanity thinking for themselves.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Any thoughts as to ...... Inslee mandating vaccine passports for everywhere in the state soon
This makes me so sad to read

Old 08-24-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
You don't know the first thing about it...

The number of deaths in India escalated massively during the Delta outbreak. The official count (above 400K) was very understated (by a factor between 2 and 10) for political reasons (as the Modi government was caught with its pants down). This is a well known fact in India and its diaspora. I add a reference to a Nature article supporting that assertion which makes the argument for 4M deaths being the correct number. And, while the infections have gone down in certain regions, it is spreading and killing heavily in at least 2 states. Even so, 400K+ (the lowest estimate) deaths in a 4-5 months is a hardly an evidence of "less virulent".

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02146-w

The UK is a different story - in that a much higher proportion of the population is vaccinated. So, the anti-vaxxers using the UK experience as to support their argument is vile or stupid or both. The UK experience is the argument in favor of vaccination.
Just curious how you spin Israel data to support injections?

Old 08-25-2021, 09:36 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,685,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy1986 View Post
THIS is exactly the problem with our world today.

According to your logic the Wright brothers should have stuck to building bicycles right?

You want to know why so many people are seeking out alternative means of information?

Do you want to know why “vaccine hesitancy” is so high?

It was people like Dr. Fauci LYING about natural immunity.

“If I have antibodies, T-Cells and B-Cells, (still high months after infection) all to help me fight a pathogen,
Why is Dr. Fauci saying I should loose my job if do not take an injection that gives me only 1 aspect of what I already have?”

It’s beautiful to see humanity thinking for themselves.
Thank you for the clarification----Doctor.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:33 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,908,556 times
Bull. Vaccinations work. Yes it is the only way out of this. Want to die? Skip the vac. Look at the stats. Most who die from this are non vaccinated. Facts. Sad so many don’t accept factual information. I pray for all those who refuse the vac, God Bless their souls.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-25-2021 at 10:53 PM..

Old 08-25-2021, 11:09 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,425,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Any thoughts as to ...... Inslee mandating vaccine passports for everywhere in the state soon
It's only logical.

It's going to be the norm in most places.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:17 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,329,543 times
TONS of doctors and nurses leaving in droves...

Everything is understaffed.... try going to urgent care in Spokane...

dumba$$ move by the gov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington