Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 09:57 PM

8,234 posts, read 16,773,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Depends on your activities / responsibilities.

If you are farmer and just sprayed $300 of mildew protection on your orchard and it rains while you are cleaning your spray rig - you just lost your time, $, and crop. For a librarian, / teacher who can operate 'rain or shine', you likely have a very different perspective..
Yes, I used to work in construction, so I've sat on both sides of that window. I also remember telling myself I wasn't going to do that the rest of my life. But some love working outdoors and have no desire to work 'behind a desk.' Many of my coworkers loved to tout lines like that as they were banging nails outside rain or shine. There are trade-offs with both types of occupations.

I think these same things are true in most places. When I lived in CO and had that crazy weather living on the continental divide where weather literally turned on a dime, I remember working indoors during the winter with snow blowing sideways outside. I watched as construction workers still had to do their jobs outdoors and it was below freezing. Or when it went from sunny to instant thunder then big hail. The hail damages everything in its path including cracking windshields, denting cars, etc... And yes, destroying crops. Early freeze, blizzard in early fall, late Spring freeze and snow? Yes, to all the above. Yet these same folks continue to do their jobs. Does it suck more for them when bad weather strikes? I think most definitely.

Yet the big difference between CO and the PNW is folks seem to suck it up if that is their profession. Not only are they not complaining about their climate, they are actually doing the opposite and bragging about 300+ days of sun a year! What they many times fail to state is the extremely harsh weather even if the sun does come out. When it's 5 degrees, with sub zero wind chill and 'sunny' it's still really bad weather for most folks. So its sorta the opposite problem in terms of representing what the climate is actually like when asked.

My main point is simply calling a spade a spade. If the sun literally doesn't come out 9-10 months a year then fine. But if that's really not the full story (whole truth) then I think that needs to be stated. Otherwise, its fake news. If its raining and dreary for days, weeks or months on end, I think most folks will be glad to see some sunlight breaking out. So there is a difference than if it actually had not. But to your points, the difference will not impact their livelihood if working indoors.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-26-2019 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Actually this year has been cloudier especially in summer. And last October was so much sunnier than this one.
Wow, I hope that is really true because I've really enjoyed what the weather has been like. Of course, I still haven't experienced 'winter' here yet. But if the rest of the year is even remotely this nice then its way better that what I had expected. Ironically, that is a silver lining for me because I've had very low expectations coming in after hearing so much belly aching.

Derek

Old 10-27-2019, 12:51 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,455,618 times
It depends on what area of western Washington you live in. There is so much variance in cloud cover, so many microclimates.

I really think a person needs to spend at least 5 continuous years in the same area of Washington, and not leave for “sun breaks” in the winter, to really have a full knowledge of “Western Washington weather”. And even then, you will only be knowledgeable about your area, not an area 100 miles, or even 10 miles, from your “spot”.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:53 AM

13,129 posts, read 7,618,088 times
SR, try the Willamette Valley where you don't have the drying wind of the Gorge.
I will admit, that being in the Sound is a bit damper and cooler than I what I am used to in Oregon. Air conditioning is a must have in Western Oregon..
I always used a sticker when I put on a early season spray.

Last edited by leastprime; 10-27-2019 at 01:02 AM..

Old 10-27-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
It depends on what area of western Washington you live in. There is so much variance in cloud cover, so many microclimates.

I really think a person needs to spend at least 5 continuous years in the same area of Washington, and not leave for “sun breaks” in the winter, to really have a full knowledge of “Western Washington weather”. And even then, you will only be knowledgeable about your area, not an area 100 miles, or even 10 miles, from your “spot”.
Fair enough. I just want to let anyone looking for honest answers know what it really is like without the hyperbole. So to be clear I am saying that any notion of 9-10 months with no sun is a false statement, pure and simple. If anyone else disagrees with that statement 'wherever' you live in WA for however long (5, 10, 20+ years), then please say so. My experience has shown it to be false and that includes multiple visits to western WA to various locations during different seasons. Living here is pretty much like those visits with a mixture of rain, clouds, some warmer days, some colder days, and yes, sun beyond the summer months.

I'm not saying there aren't longer periods of dreary weather especially during winter months and that some places are more dreary than others. Those are really separate topics all together. Where is the least cloudy, rainy, snowy, <fill in the blank> place in Western WA? Microclimates are everywhere as are many other climactic variations. They're a simple fact of life. I'm only questioning the One myth stated above.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-27-2019 at 02:39 AM..

Old 10-27-2019, 04:30 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,521,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
What I've always said is that we have just enough grey weather to make us really stop and appreciate the sun breaks in between.

For a few minutes at least.... The sun is so much more intense in winter when it comes in the windows sideways, that as soon as it does come out, we run around and close all the blinds.
I moved here from Hawai'i, which is sunny the vast majority of the time. I hated sun. Was so sick of sun. I now like the sun, because I'm not seeing it all the time. I love clouds, and cool, windy, rainy weather. But I can appreciate the sun now like I never did before. I also lived up here in the '90s, and I remember hearing (my first winter) that it was hitting some record for the most rainy days in a row. I loved it! My husband is a huge sun worshipper. He does feel like it's dreary and mainly sunless here 10 months of the year.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,819 posts, read 58,384,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
.... When I lived in CO and had that crazy weather living on the continental divide where weather literally turned on a dime, .... Yet these same folks continue to do their jobs. Does it suck more for them when bad weather strikes? I think most definitely.

Yet the big difference between CO and the PNW is folks seem to suck it up if that is their profession. ....they are actually doing the opposite and bragging about 300+ days of sun a year!...

Derek
30 yrs in Colorado / WY for me and delivering lambs mid winter (Often in a blizzard + a truckdriving career in same). BUT you have 300+ decent days / yr to work on your outdoor needs (roofs, fences, trenches, pouring concrete...) in PNW you have 80 - 100 days to do all that + cut / stack / dry firewood and prepare for all your buildings and livestock and vehicles for winter. In PNW when you have to wait a week for the ground to dry enough to till, or you have tilled and your seeds are rotting in the ground due to cold and damp you get antsy and are more likely to complain than if you are in a semi-arid climate where your soils can be ready after just one night of wind. (I.e. the pressure to get it done is far lass in CO / WY climate when you will have plenty of available days to do so) Yes, the hail and hoppers took plenty of my crops (and cars),

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I moved here from Hawai'i, which is sunny the vast majority of the time. I hated sun. Was so sick of sun. I now like the sun, because I'm not seeing it all the time. I love clouds, and cool, windy, rainy weather. But I can appreciate the sun now like I never did before. ...My husband is a huge sun worshipper. He does feel like it's dreary and mainly sunless here 10 months of the year.
Same at our home... DW is a SoCA beach kid who gets by just fine in PNW. (loves the green... moss, slugs, mildew...) She doesn't have to fix the roof / power-wash the house / lay in the mud... or even go outside if she doesn't want to. I live (in) it (everyday, all day) and dislike it a lot . 30+ yrs in PNW & there will be no 'getting-used-to-it' for me. But I don't control the entire vote. I just make suggestions and provide the revenue to keep the doors open.

Maybe in my next life. I will get a "Me First" option and not be a FT caregiver. Get to ride my bike or motorcycle any day of the yr. and Plant and harvest my garden when convenient. and NOT have a leaking car (rainwater pouring down fusebox), and get to go camping in a DRY tent ....

At least if I am maimed by injury or health, I have my application all filled out to be moved and accepted into a care home outside of PNW! Hurrah, no one ever needs to come visit me in the sunshine of a mtn state. I'll be just fine.

I moved (3) friends OUT of PNW the day they retired. They are SO happy, and I am very glad for them.

Everyone will be very different in how dreary, dark, and wet affects them. Especially jobs, health, desires....

That's good as I will need a buyer for a nice view home in PNW, if spouse kicks the bucket before me (unlikely).
I can assure you I will be GONE before the funeral (unless my own is first...)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-27-2019 at 09:24 PM..

Old 10-27-2019, 09:48 PM

8,189 posts, read 8,363,278 times
Beautiful outside today in the Puget Sound area.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Beautiful outside today in the Puget Sound area.
The weather lately has been spectacular. We have relatives visiting who've never been to the PNW and its kinda funny because all they hear about is how dreary and rainy it is. The trip was planned months ahead of time. And by random chance they're getting excellent fall conditions... with fall colors as well. Kinda hard to complain when its this nice out in late October. Our CO relatives have already had to deal with their first blizzard. From a local hike yesterday:

Sunrise in the Gorge the day before:

Paddleboarding in the local lake recently:

Washington Park last weekend:

Too bad the sun never comes out in October. lol

Derek

Old 10-28-2019, 03:53 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,455,618 times
January & February arriving soon...tick-tock...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington