Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 07:45 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,172,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Botev and MntSurfer,

Please answer these two questions.

1. What year did you move here, exactly?

2. How long have you lived here in the PNW?

Thank you. ~A
Been here since 2006 and besides a few years May thru mid October have mostly been nice. June is the month that could be disappointing because it's usually gloomier than May. Also, winter has never bothered me because most other places in the US have harsh winters.

Last edited by Botev1912; 07-11-2020 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 09:00 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,371,078 times
Quote:
... I moved here 17 years ago for the weather. I love the rain, and all that comes with it, so this is no rain-bashing post. What this post is is an accurate assessment of what it’s really like here, not embellished when a late day sunbreak occurs, and suddenly all is awash in utter beauty…for a short bit, maybe until sunset.

... Here’s my experience with the weather. July 4th is the day WA natives hope/pray is the first day of summer. We’ve got WA native neighbors who’ve been here 70 years, so they confirm a lot of things I’ve observed. July 4th is what they told us and what we have corroborated as fact, at least for the last 17 summers we’ve been here. ...

... I’ve asked my 70 year old WA native neighbors if this is accurate, and they agree. The only thing they say is that it used to be colder, rainier, and snowed a lot more in the past. I can attest to that because from 2003 to about 2010, our first 7 years here, I remember A LOT more snow than we’ve had the last 10 years or so. And the winters have been significantly warmer with last and first frost days definitely changed. The growing season has lengthened. I grow a lot of food (one reason why I pay such close attention to rain, sun, and heat), and our last frost could be late May, but now it’s so much earlier.

So there it is from someone who loves the rain and can no longer stand to see glowing posts only when pretty pictures of random days are shared. It’s gray here A LOT, a SUPER LOT. Trying to play with the random gorgeous day and the 20” sunbreak insisting that it doesn’t rain here as much as people say, well, why? It IS gorgeous here. I LOVE it here, but people, please, it’s gray here A LOT, and even if it doesn’t rain in deluges, there is often a constant low-level of rain that gets you wet, for days and days on end sometimes. Then you get one day with a sunbreak late in the day, or a day with some clearing, oh lovely! (see any one of photos above in this thread) But it's sandwiched between another week-10 days of relentless gray and rain.

This, is the real picture.
Correct. We're seeing quite a bit more sunshine and warmer weather here than in the past. Apparently this is the new normal. But I find it odd that someone who has only lived here part time for a little over a year wants to tell native northwesterners what our weather is actually like. Plus, anybody who can just up and head south when the winter gray gets too overwhelming doesn't really get it.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:11 PM

8,234 posts, read 16,773,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Divorce is a viable exit strategy for some, for others it is not. "Til death do us part".

At that point each will leave the PNW, one by the sky, and one by land.
Stealth, obviously if one spouse wants to stay and the other leave, that's another issue entirely, domestic in nature. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with that one in our various moves. I guess we think more alike when it comes to climate. Everyone has their preferences, after all.

Quote:

Last I heard, C-D was a public forum for +/- of relocating 'advice'. Of course some comments might not fit the "Chamber of Commerce mode" of (self) promotion and elevation.

Different strokes....

from, "OMG this is heaven" (self promotions for 300+ days / yr!)

to
"This, is the real picture."
Stealth, the only thing I'm promoting is the truth for those looking for it and planning a move. There is nothing else to gain here. The whole purpose of the post is to challenge the false notion and fake news that the sun never shines for 10 months out of the year. That is also clearly stated in the title.

Like Bigfoot, there are more than a few legends of the PNW. The 'terrible' climate is one of them when exaggerations are made like this constantly. I realize folks many times exaggerate a point to make a point. While others really don't like the climate here and would like to move somewhere else. But when you're looking to relocate like we were and all you hear is to prepare to not see the sun for 8-10 months a year, that clearly is a false statement, plain and simple.

No one is this thread has ever questioned the obvious which is that there are lots clouds and rain throughout the year. That's actually one of the Pros of the PNW and why its so green It also keeps the temperatures moderate like they are right now in July. That was never in question as some seem to imply. Maybe these recent posters simply didn't read much of thread and then jumped to their own conclusions, perhaps. Or they're simply creating a straw man argument. I don't really know. But rain and clouds should be expected by anyone doing a little relocation research. What isn't so obvious, and the point of the thread, is that there will be breaks in between and that makes all the difference for many including us. So, that is the proof I have provided for those considering a relocation. The sun will come out in every season at some point. Just don't jumble that up with its wonderfully sunny 300+ days a year which never has been stated or even implied by anyone.

Some have also complained that dispelling this myth will cause more people to move to WA. Well, CD is about relocation and what its like to live here. So, sorry if that bursts some provincial goals and bubbles to keep others out. But the truth will come out eventually.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-11-2020 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-11-2020, 03:11 PM

511 posts, read 630,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Why does that even matter?

We've been here just over a year and love it. I know, I know, just wait 30 years, right? lol

Waiting for something like 'Well, listen sonny boy, until you've lived here 30+ years, it doesn't really count." lol

The thing is, I don't really care. I'm old enough now and lived in enough places to not have to wait 30+ years to really enjoy a place. In fact, every day, week and year that's a good one is a gift. Life's too short as you get older to care about what it's gonna be like '15 years from now.' Only then will you know. Sorry, but I just don't buy into that line of thinking. If I'm grumbling about the climate after 15+ years and I'm still alive and kickin', well, I'll get over it or move. It's really that simple. Why be miserable if you can do something about it? Living in CO didn't work for us, so we left. And I could tell pretty early on some things just weren't working. Once that becomes obvious, then you just work on a good exit strategy. Likewise, I think there are folks here that simply need to move on and out. I've seen it in every state and on the CD forums as well. Sometimes you gotta know when to 'hold 'em or when to fold 'em.'

Derek
My original post included what the weather is like here. This thread reminded me of another where the OP insists weather is not what it actually is by citing statistics (photos are used here primarily but I've also seen similar stats here as well) to support his/her premise that the overall weather is differnt than it actually is.

I continue to live here, after 17 years, because I love it. But I hate to see inaccuracies that do not present an accurate picture of the weather here. Sunbreaks and random gorgeous days and sometimes just moments, sandwiched between long stretches of gray are not enough for many people, to keep them in their best form. Only two months of what most people consider "summer" will disappoint many unless they prefer a wetter, milder, cooler, grayer climate.

I post on c-d to help people, not to share my personal happy moments in life. On c-d, I like to share all the facts, not just the parts that hit my personal happy spot. I love it here. I love the weather, but others may not. After 17 years here and getting to know a number of natives and discussing what I'm personally experiencing with them, I've gotten a solid understanding of my environment here in the PNW. And to get an accurate holistic picture of anything, anyplace, that takes time. This, MtnSurfer, is why it matters how long you've lived here. One year, you say? Oh. OK.

Last edited by Algiz; 07-11-2020 at 04:13 PM..

Old 07-11-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Been here since 2006 and besides a few years May thru mid October have mostly been nice. June is the month that could be disappointing because it's usually gloomier than May. Also, winter has never bothered me because most other places in the US have harsh winters.
Ah, then almost as long as I've been here. I will counter and say that, for me, April all the way through October and into November is nice. You do see, though, that our "nice" is subjective. Based on your words above, it appears you prefer more cool than heat, clouds over sun, and wet over dry, which proves to be a succinct description of PNW weather.

Old 07-11-2020, 03:53 PM

8,234 posts, read 16,773,346 times
Quote:
My original post included what the weather is like here. This thread reminded me of another where the OP insists weather is not what it actually is by citing statistics (photos are used here primarily but I've also seen similar stats here as well) to support his/her premise that the overall weather is differnt than it actually is.

I continue to live here, after 17 years, because I love it. But I hate to see inaccuracies that do not present an accurate picture of the weather here. Sunbreaks and random gorgeous days and sometimes just moments, sandwiched between long stretches of gray are not enough for many people, to keep them in their best form. Two months of what most people consider "summer" will disappoint many unless they prefer a wetter, milder, cooler, grayer climate.

I post on c-d to help people, not to share my personal happy moments in life. On c-d, I like to share all the facts, not just the parts that hit my personal happy spot. I love it here. I love the weather, but others may not. After 17 years here and getting to know a number of natives and discussing what I'm personally experiencing with them, I've gotten a solid understanding of my environment here in the PNW. And to get an accurate holistic picture of anything, anyplace, that takes time. This, MtnSurfer, is why it matters how long you've lived here. One year, you say? Oh. OK.
I'm not sure I get why you think this perspective wasn't portrayed unless you really didn't read many of the posts in this thread. Maybe you saw a few pictures on sun and assumed that was the point? There are lots of assumptions being made here.

Sarcasm aside, anything you can provide to shed more light on what its like is welcome. But the fact that you've asked how long Botev1912 and I have lived here simply shows your intent to prove us wrong with some sort of superior knowledge. Well, that's wonderful. Botev1912 has lived here for about as long as you have and I'm the newbie. So what? There's not really much different you've said that's surprising or different.

I guess the only real point I'm seeing that may be slightly different is that you love those gray skies while other may not. I've heard some even say they hate the sun and that's why they long for even more cloudy days. But hey, everyone has different preferences, right? I think there is a pendulum of climactic preferences that work well for many in the PNW vs. just one. Our family likes clouds and rain and prefer that overall to hot, dry, sunnier climates. The caveat for us is that there are some sun breaks throughout the year which there are. For others that clearly isn't enough. And there are those who may wish for more but are still content knowing all the other benefits which this climate provides. So, yes, every time the sun comes out, they look forward to it. And there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I know native Washingtonians like that.

Oh, and BTW, we also have friends and family who have lived here for decades. And we got their advice prior to move. So I'm not just speaking from my own experiences regarding the PNW. Even they have different preferences for sunlight, clouds, etc... There's no one size fits all or superior state of knowledge on the matter.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-11-2020 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-11-2020, 08:58 PM

315 posts, read 117,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
hot lol

No shortage of heat here in 2015, 2017, and 2018. 30+ days over 90 in those summers. If that's not hot enough for you, try Yuma.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:59 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,119,747 times
Well I am not really qualified to say since I’ve only been a part timer since 1982.
We have been coming up here 3-4 times a year to spend time with the wife’s family.

Seen every season.
Seen every weather.
Spoke with family several times a month and I don’t believe that a person won’t see the sun for 10 months where they and we are at one bit.

But hey there might be more qualified people than me that don’t see the sun where they live.

There are a bunch of micro climates might cause that but I don’t know for sure.
I do believe in the “rain shadow”.
CA has those as well.

I know where we have been and who we have had constant communication with (mainly in Victoria and just south of there) do see a decent portion of nice weather.

Oddly enough in Diablo CA 100 degree temps are quite common and yet Diablo receives I think a good 6 more inches of rain than our Clallam county place.

I am well aware that that is due to the drizzle up north and ca is sunnier.

That’s all I got.

All the best.
Andy.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:26 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,172,001 times
Quote:
Ah, then almost as long as I've been here. I will counter and say that, for me, April all the way through October and into November is nice. You do see, though, that our "nice" is subjective. Based on your words above, it appears you prefer more cool than heat, clouds over sun, and wet over dry, which proves to be a succinct description of PNW weather.
Actually I like comfortable/pleasant weather but not really hot weather. My ideal climate is San Diego, so basically Seattle summer weather for 10 months of the year. But I would much rather have drizzle and 50-60 degrees over 95 and humid or 10 and blizzard. So Seattle weather may not be the best but it's a lot more desirable than most of the US.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Actually I like comfortable/pleasant weather but not really hot weather. My ideal climate is San Diego, so basically Seattle summer weather for 10 months of the year. But I would much rather have drizzle and 50-60 degrees over 95 and humid or 10 and blizzard. So Seattle weather may not be the best but it's a lot more desirable than most of the US.
San Diego, you say? You must have been one of my ESL students when you first came to the US. I taught at Grossmont, and I hadn't thought of one of of of my fellow instructors for ages. She used to use "No banana for you" with her students, and it made everyone laugh.

When I used "no banana for you" in my response to you earlier, it put me a bit off balance because it's not something I generally say, and it pulled me back 20 years...I wondered where that had come from, jarring my memory from long ago for some reason that didn't make sense at the time.

Now I get it. You remind me of an ESL student I had back then, and it must be why you refer to San Diego's weather - perhaps because you moved there when you first immigrated to the US. You might even be that student. El Cajon housed a significant number of immigrants from two specific regions of the world.

I left San Diego for a number of reasons, but what finally got me to finally take the leap and leave my friends and family was the heat. "72 and sunny year around" was how it used to be when I was growing up. By 2000, it had heated up noticeably every successive year for quite a few years, and the motto no longer held. Although this year is proving to be the old time summer coastal San Diego weather, this hasn't been typical since about 2000.

I return at least twice a year, and depending on what my family is doing, more often some years. It must have been a while since you've returned if it seems like San Diego has Seattle summer weather 10 months of the year. The difference is Seattle may have a very short hot spell, and it goes away quickly. San Diego now has weeks and months on end of very hot days all year around. Maybe you're lucky and somehow miss those 90 degree Super Bowl winter days when you visit. Summers there can be brutal any more, even if you live right on the water.

A few years ago, I arrived around 2pm, too early to go to where I was staying, and so decided to do the Mr. Frostie thing on Garnet. I had just passed the Shell car wash when I realized it was blistering hot and looked at my temperature gauge and was astounded to see exactly 100 degrees! This was May, and I was, what, a mile from the beach? 100 in PB was unheard of, and would be as strange as snow falling on the beach there. This wasn't even during the Santa Anas in September, but still spring. This heating up is the new normal for everywhere it seems. Sigh...

Fyodor, that was his name. You remind me of Fyodor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington