Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 09:10 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times

Advertisements

Most of the properties right on the beach are privately owned. There aren't public frontage roads directly on the beach at Ocean Shores. But in WA, private owners can't control or prevent passage on the beach. Beaches are public.

There are public access roads that dead end at either parking areas, or beach access areas.

There's lots of places where people don't drive on the beach. It's mostly only on the Long Beach Peninsula where it's common. A quick search shows there may be a few others, but I don't remember seeing cars on the beach at Westport when I was there. I'm only an occasional tourist... I don't know all the ins and outs and it's not for me to change the rules for them.

The topography of the Washington beach might be part of the issue. There are WIDE expanses of sandy dunes in WA... any permanent road would perhaps have to be well back away from the beach. Further than I would want to walk!

This looks like a typical summer day of beach usage. Lots of people do use it in summer:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.0073.../data=!3m1!1e3

If you go further up north to Kalaloch, there is a road right along the beach, and a campground, and traveling along the road, there are several places where one could park and walk down. No driving on the beach there.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 08-04-2020 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 09:28 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Most of the properties right on the beach are privately owned. There aren't public frontage roads directly on the beach. But in WA, private owners can't control or prevent passage on the beach. Beaches are public.

There are public access roads that dead end at either parking areas, or beach access areas.

There's lots of places where people don't drive on the beach. It's mostly only on the Long Beach Peninsula where it's common. A quick search shows there may be a few others, but I don't remember seeing cars on the beach at Westport when I was there. I'm only an occasional tourist... it's not for me to change the rules for them.

The topography of the Washington beach might be part of the issue. There are WIDE expanses of sandy dunes in WA... any permanent road would perhaps have to be well back away from the beach. Further than I would want to walk!

This looks like a typical summer day of beach usage. Lots of people do use it in summer:

If you go further up north to Kalaloch, there is a road right along the beach, and a campground, and traveling along the road, there are several places where one could park and walk down. No driving on the beach there.
Thanks. There are places like that in California, where there are beachfront homes, but the beaches are public, and there are designated public-access beach spots with a large parking lot. Of course, there's nothing to stop people from parking at the public-access point, then walking up or down the beach to where the beachfront homes are, and using that part of the beach, but it's rare for people to do that, unless there's a good surfing spot in front of a section of homes.

But most beaches have a highway paralleling them, with parking areas here and there. No beachfront properties.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
We lived in Texas for about a decade and I used to despise vehicles on the beach. Port Aransas allowed it, South Padre did not. Difference was night and day for visiting. On weekends, Port Aransas could be such a drunken mess (because people with big trucks could haul enormous parties down with them) and it was unsafe to even let your kids wander for fear of getting run over by a drunk college student. South Padre was far more family-friendly. But I guess WA beaches are not that crowded.

Port Aransas

South Padre
I get this... and I appreciate that anyplace that is too crowded. isn't good. I think ocean shores *can* be crowded at rare times, but is *usually* not. And it's my assertion that if you want peace and quiet with your beach experience, being able to drive a bit down the beach and not be limited to your walking range *can* be a good thing.

Interesting about your picture... I'm not quibbling with the quality of the experience there, but that does look like the matching umbrellas and furniture of a hotel resort... that would obviously be a different experience than an open public beach.

But I do note, in the foreground, there are many tire tracks in the sand. They may be service and enforcement vehicles... but just sayin'... That beach isn't vehicle free either. Fair enough?

Old 08-05-2020, 11:45 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
I get this... and I appreciate that anyplace that is too crowded. isn't good. I think ocean shores *can* be crowded at rare times, but is *usually* not. And it's my assertion that if you want peace and quiet with your beach experience, being able to drive a bit down the beach and not be limited to your walking range *can* be a good thing.

Interesting about your picture... I'm not quibbling with the quality of the experience there, but that does look like the matching umbrellas and furniture of a hotel resort... that would obviously be a different experience than an open public beach.

But I do note, in the foreground, there are many tire tracks in the sand. They may be service and enforcement vehicles... but just sayin'... That beach isn't vehicle free either. Fair enough?
Condo complexes put out their own umbrellas on the public beaches. If you aren't a guest or resident they may chase you away from using their umbrella and lounger, but can't and won't stop you from setting up right next to if if you want. It is one of the amenities you pay for like the pool. So that you don't have to drag your own umbrellas and loungers down to the beach. There is usually some staff member that takes them down at night and stacks the loungers and then sets them back up in the morning. But it's all public beach and you can use the space yourself if you want.

The tracks are from beach patrol vehicles who do drive up and down doing law enforcement, emptying garbage cans, that sort of thing. But private vehicles are prohibited.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,270 times
Great discussion guys! A lot of good points I hadn’t thought about. I still though don’t see how polluting vehicles on a beach are a good thing. I’m not an environmentalist by any stretch of the imagination but i keep thinking about the vehicle fluids that potentially leak from ones car. You see the rainbow of colors of such a leak on any wet roadway after it rains. It must happen just the same on a beach and then the tide comes in and brings it back into the ocean? Overall though and back to my original point is that having vehicles on a beach makes visiting such a beautiful stretch of coastline less desirable for me and buying property as well. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond!

Old 08-05-2020, 04:25 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Quote:
Most of the properties right on the beach are privately owned. There aren't public frontage roads directly on the beach at Ocean Shores. But in WA, private owners can't control or prevent passage on the beach. Beaches are public.

There's lots of places where people don't drive on the beach. It's mostly only on the Long Beach Peninsula where it's common. A quick search shows there may be a few others, but I don't remember seeing cars on the beach at Westport when I was there. I'm only an occasional tourist... I don't know all the ins and outs and it's not for me to change the rules for them.

Originally, the beaches were the roads.

Yes, because of dunes and bluffs, the road can be set back a considerable distance from the beach, with limited access points. It's not like southern California or northern Oregon, where the highway runs adjacent to the beaches. Driving on the beach helps distribute people down the beach. When I was a kid we would drive down the beach until the car tracks ran out, taking the chance of getting stuck in order to get away from people.

Old 08-06-2020, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,591 times
Hey guys, sorry to change topic again but my husband and I are considering a move to the Seattle/Tacoma area and Ocean Shores caught our attention. We like not being near the hustle and bustle and the proximity to the beach but we're in our 30's and he would have to find employment within commuting distance (I work from home so it's not a problem for me).

If you aren't retired, where do you work if you live in Ocean Shores? Is Aberdeen a realistic every day commute for work? His background is in manufacturing and that seems to be where any warehouse/production jobs would be. Thanks for any tips.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:34 PM

Jobs are probably the tough part of the decision. I would search the employment section of the local Aberdeen Craigslist and see what you can find. Ocean Shores is a nice community, I've really become fond of it.... but Aberdeen is a fairly depressed economy.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:25 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie87 View Post
Hey guys, sorry to change topic again but my husband and I are considering a move to the Seattle/Tacoma area and Ocean Shores caught our attention. We like not being near the hustle and bustle and the proximity to the beach but we're in our 30's and he would have to find employment within commuting distance (I work from home so it's not a problem for me).

If you aren't retired, where do you work if you live in Ocean Shores? Is Aberdeen a realistic every day commute for work? His background is in manufacturing and that seems to be where any warehouse/production jobs would be. Thanks for any tips.
Ocean Shores has expensive, slow, and severely capped Internet (Coast Communications), which could impact your work from home plans. 100 Mbps + 300 GB Data = $99.95. 250 Mbps + Unlimited Data = $154.90. Westport has Comcast, which is a much better choice, believe it or not.

Right now, however, Zillow shows only one rental at Ocean Shores and none at Westport - that's probably because they've all been turned into vacation rentals (although Covid could be part of it too). Aberdeen has only three rentals.

I suppose you could get work cleaning vacation rentals - someone has to change the sheets and towels, clean, vacuum, dust, disinfect. Short season, however.

Tons of places for sale, however:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...55051234_zpid/ (I'd be concerned about that big crack, however.)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...55075477_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...55054310_zpid/

Old 08-06-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Right now, however, Zillow shows only one rental at Ocean Shores and none at Westport - that's probably because they've all been turned into vacation rentals (although Covid could be part of it too). Aberdeen has only three rentals.

I don't think Zillow is popular for rentals out here... probably because not many Real Estate agents do them. They're mostly FRBO. Craigslist or FB Marketplace usually have more rentals than Zillow, at least in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington