Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 10:31 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousPete99 View Post
When you described wanting to be in a city where everyone knows everyone and people are polite and friendly, I don’t believe you will find that in Puget Sound or anywhere in Seattle for that matter. What you are describing is more common in the Deep South and Midwest. People in the Pacific Northwest are very reserved. They are polite yet have no interest in getting to know you. That being said, people will warm up to you eventually given that they feel they have something in common with you. I lived in the Puget Sound for 1-year and it was a bit of a culture shock for me. I am from the south and we are used to being very friendly and warm with everyone. People in PS are very uncomfortable with eye contact and they might walk by you and pretend that you don’t exist. The coldness was hard to deal with but I got used to it eventually. I lived with my wife here and she felt the same way. Luckily, we had each other during our brief time there. It would be pretty hard to deal with moving to Washington as a single person. I left and moved back to the south the first chance I got. I wouldn’t want to raise a family there. Southern hospitality is important and it’s better to be in an environment that supports this.
A number of Southerners have posted around C-D, that the friendliness and warmth are only superficial, and that there can be backstabbing going on behind people's backs, while maintaining the facade of Southern friendliness. The way to make friends in the Northwest is to get involved in community activities, where sharing activities of common interest brings people together and makes it easy to break the ice. Plenty of couples result from meeting that way, get married, and raise happy families all over the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 03:58 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Diana and Ruth kinda nailed it.

I will add,
We have 4 friends from our old California group that live here.
The ones that are extroverts and join groups do very well.
One of our friends is an introvert (a computer nerd ) that works from home and does struggle socially.

Me?
I’m in the middle but all my new friends are from doing activities that I enjoy.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Diana and Ruth kinda nailed it.

I will add,
We have 4 friends from our old California group that live here.
The ones that are extroverts and join groups do very well.
One of our friends is an introvert (a computer nerd ) that works from home and does struggle socially.

Me?
I’m in the middle but all my new friends are from doing activities that I enjoy.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:52 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Last August I brought my then 87 year old mom and her friend with me to Boston Harbor area of Olympia.

My tenants bought a home so I was up to do a little cleaning and repairs.

Both Mom and her friend kept saying how friendly everyone is… total strangers would come up and offer them a ride or say I saw you yesterday walking… they love to walk and did so everyday to places like Priest Point Park, Boston Harbor Marina, Burfoot Park, Lighthouse, etc…

The folks at Gull Harbor Mercantile could not have been nicer so they made this their coffee stop and the nearby fire house said anytime they needed a place to rest or use the bathroom please do so.

It was only two weeks but this carried over just about everywhere we went… grocery shopping, my trips to Lowe’s, little sight seeing around Mount Rainier and our evening dash to the coast for ice cream at Buddy Moos in Hoquiam during the heat wave!
Attached Thumbnails
What is it like living on the Puget Sound?-de98dac0-c1fe-46ca-903b-c73b91ca7302.jpeg  

Old 06-25-2022, 09:45 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
What a great story Ultrarunner.
My mom is about the same age and has a way of becoming friends with all the local Germans whether is at the grocery store or waiting for a table at a restaurant.
Some weren’t even born there but tell her that she sounds like their Omi .

Yeah you definitely get more friendliness back when you are friendly.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:19 AM

Mom is an Omi… and proud of it.

Took her no time to find a suitable walking stick and map out all the black berry patches along the way…

People always think she is the native and say how nice it is for me to visit…

I would love to explore all of WA one day.

So far mostly Western WA and she loves mountains because they remind her of home… a small family dairy farm with snow capped mountains visible when not obscured by rain clouds…

We do search out German eateries as a way of connecting
and sad to say last year many shuttered for good…

Even our favorite place, Falls Terrace in Tumwater closed indefinitely:-(

Old 06-25-2022, 10:58 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Ever seen the Southpark spoof on Smug?

The city of choice for that was San Francisco, but Smug was well-entrenched in the Puget Sound area. Not universal, so maybe OP found a pocket unafflicted by it.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Mom is an Omi… and proud of it.

Took her no time to find a suitable walking stick and map out all the black berry patches along the way…

People always think she is the native and say how nice it is for me to visit…

I would love to explore all of WA one day.

So far mostly Western WA and she loves mountains because they remind her of home… a small family dairy farm with snow capped mountains visible when not obscured by rain clouds…

We do search out German eateries as a way of connecting
and sad to say last year many shuttered for good…

Even our favorite place, Falls Terrace in Tumwater closed indefinitely:-(
There used to be a German grocery and bakery in the U District of Seattle, on Roosevelt Way. I tried looking it up last year, and it seems to be gone. Most of the Germany bakeries and such seem to be in small towns scattered around Western WA.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:58 AM

I think when the owner decides it’s time to retire the business dies.

Enjoyed a good schnitzel in Olympia and Lacey in the past but last visit both had ceased operation.

They were like a conduit to things German as one owner had married a US Soldier stationed in Germany and opened her business stateside…

Anyone know the Real Story of the Falls Terrace in Tumwater?

Website says closed now for a very long time…

Old 06-25-2022, 12:24 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Anyone know the Real Story of the Falls Terrace in Tumwater?

Website says closed now for a very long time…
I thought I saw something that it was for sale... but The Olympian published this article Earlier this month:
An early victim of the pandemic, Falls Terrace closed down in 2020
...snip....

But wait, there’s good news: The restaurant is expected to reopen. Falls Terrace owner Daniel Vavrinec is working on repairs to the business and is having supply chain issues, he told the Olympian earlier this week. But he doesn’t have a timeline for when the restaurant will reopen.

Read more at: https://www.theolympian.com/living/f...#storylink=cpy

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington