Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 03:56 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,718,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Our cloud cover is oppressive in addition to the short days. The clouds hang low and dark even during the day so it feels like no daylight at all. Remember that scene in Joe Vs. the Volcano where Joe's eyes keep twitching from the florescent light? That's us in December and January. You don't want to suffer that way do you? Denver is much sunnier.
I think it is GREAT that you are discouraging people from moving to Seattle. You need to be less subtle, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 04:01 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,734,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I think it is GREAT that you are discouraging people from moving to Seattle. You need to be less subtle, though.
Less subtle? Got it, thanks! If you move to Seattle, you could die!

Old 10-02-2016, 04:05 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,020,196 times
Quote:
Our cloud cover is oppressive in addition to the short days. The clouds hang low and dark even during the day so it feels like no daylight at all. Remember that scene in Joe Vs. the Volcano where Joe's eyes keep twitching from the florescent light? That's us in December and January. You don't want to suffer that way do you? Denver is much sunnier.
Blah, blah, don't move to Seattle, blah, blah.

How's that working for ya? LOL

Old 10-02-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Blah, blah, don't move to Seattle, blah, blah.

How's that working for ya? LOL
I am not giving information that is inaccurate. If people move here and become deeply depressed from the dark skies and endless rain, at least we warned them!

Old 10-02-2016, 04:20 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,059,136 times
Quote:
I am not giving information that is inaccurate. If people move here and become deeply depressed from the dark skies and endless rain, at least we warned them!
We live in Wenatchee.

My wife is already making plans for going to Arizona, before the cloudy weather hits. We don't get the endless rain, but once the clouds show up it is awful.

I don't mind the dark ( I have plenty of telescopes)....it is the clouds. There is NO good for being dark and cloudy!!! At least it needs to be clear!!!

Old 10-02-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
We live in Wenatchee.

My wife is already making plans for going to Arizona, before the cloudy weather hits. We don't get the endless rain, but once the clouds show up it is awful.

I don't mind the dark ( I have plenty of telescopes)....it is the clouds. There is NO good for being dark and cloudy!!! At least it needs to be clear!!!
See? This is from someone who lives here and they are going to Arizona! People should be looking at Arizona, which is very sunny.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:25 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,718,874 times
Seriously, has anyone sctually claimed that moving to Seattle, or western WA for that matter, caused them to become depressed? Hmm, maybe they were already prone to depression long before moving.

I guess living in the much-hyped Olympic rain shadow has given me a different impression. Seattle must be much, much wetter and grayer.

Sun came out full blast this morning and it felt almost hot. Night skies have been clear enough to see some starts some nights, but it is still crappy for stargazing. This is one of the diffs between winter here and the Northeast US, which was the original question. NOT comparisons with winter in AZ or CO.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Seriously, has anyone sctually claimed that moving to Seattle, or western WA for that matter, caused them to become depressed?

I guess living in the much-hyped Olympic rain shadow has given me a different impression. Seattle must be much, much wetter and grayer.

Sun came out full blast this morning and it felt almost hot.
Have you ever spent time on the Seattle board? Many have claimed Seattle made them depressed and once they leave they keep posting about it like it scarred them.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,059,136 times
Quote:
Seriously, has anyone sctually claimed that moving to Seattle, or western WA for that matter, caused them to become depressed? Hmm, maybe they were already prone to depression long before moving.

I lived in Vancouver, Canada from September through April one year. It felt like eternity. I would have NEVER moved there if I had the information available on this forum.

I don't see the issue of being "prone to depression" due to weather. If you depressed by cloudy, dark weather what difference does it make?? Don't MOVE to western Washington.

It is a serious problem west of the Cascades. 40% of the homes in Chelan County and 50% of the homes in Okanogan County are owned by western Washington residents (US Census). Those second homes are not being bought for the high speed fiber network in Chelan County!!

I did live in the NE US as a child. I have more memories of cloudy days than sunny ones. However, that is not a valid sample.

I do find it funny how western Washington residents talk about the rain and clouds.

TRUE STORY. I had just moved to Wenatchee and being in my 30's took up golf. As a single golfer I got paired with three golfers from western Washington. I made mention of my awful experience living west of the Cascades. This was met with comments "its not so bad"....."you never notice the rain"...."it is more of a mist"...etc. etc. The conversation moved on....and after several holes I asked "so what brought you to Wenatchee this weekend?". The answer.....IT WAS RAINING AT HOME.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:34 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,020,196 times
People have second homes where they like to spend their recreation time- I don't think that's news.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of the folks who have second homes on the east side of the mountains bought for the primary reason of weather being better over there. I'd be shocked if it was any real significant number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington