Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 07:50 AM

41 posts, read 140,499 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, where is the best place to experience the Washington coast? I want to see it, and I might just have one day. I suppose the only requirement would be that it has to be somewhat of an accessible area from a car, and maybe a short walk, but no hiking! I don't need to play in the sand, fly a kite or anything else...just needs to be easily accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,848,910 times
Highway 101 between Queets and Abbey Island.

Especially around Kalaloch.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Highway 101 between Queets and Abbey Island.

Especially around Kalaloch.
I agree, but I also like Neah Bay and LaPush. That whole drive between the 3 has some great views and access, some don't require a hike, but a lot of rustic stairs.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:34 PM

268 posts, read 367,243 times
In order of accessibility:

The areas mentioned on US-101 are the most convenient and accessible, and therefore, the most popular. (The beaches there are becoming so crowded in the summer that I find them less enjoyable than in the past.)

I find the drive to Neah Bay and the short walk / hike to Cape Flattery to be much more spectacular. The road to Neah Bay is rather "long" and winding however. (Some people drive faster than I would on that highway, so I would suggest pulling over and taking photos if you find yourself impeding the flow of traffic.) And there are some nice beaches in that area too.

While not for the OP, if hiking and / or camping and less people are of interest, hiking to and from the Pacific Ocean on the Ozette Loop Trail are certainly worth the effort.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:11 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,382,944 times
One day from where? You can go to Forks and Kalaloch and La Push from Seattle in one day, but it is a long day with at least 9 hours of driving time and possibly an hour or two sitting in a parking lot waiting for a ferry. It is a beautiful area, but you're not going to be able to stop anywhere for any length of time.

If you want to see some quintessentially northwestern landscapes with time to get out and explore, I'd recommend Anacortes, Deception Pass and Whidbey Island. Washington Park in Anacortes has great views of the San Juans (and the short drive to the top of Mount Erie also offers great views.) The north side of Deception Pass around Bowman Bay is beautiful, and the short walk out to Rosario Head is well worth it. Walk across the bridge over Deception Pass. On you way down Whidbey check out Ebey's Landing and Fort Casey. At Fort Casey, walk up the bluff on top of the old fort and see a very expansive view of Port Townsend, Admiralty Inlet, Mount Rainier, and the Olympics. You'll likely see shipping passing fairly close. Keep heading down the island and take the ferry from Clinton back to the mainland.

Not as spectacular as the Olympic coast, but if you only have a day you'll be able to spend more time out of your car and you'll still be next to salt water.

You can also get to Ocean Shores in a couple of hours from Seattle, but there isn't much "there" there and I'd only recommend it if you want to see ocean waves on a broad sandy beach. Cape Disappointment is another long drive - about 7 hours there and back, but beautiful.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:46 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,545,150 times
If you are coming from Seattle, go to Ocean Shores, it will take the least amount of time. The beach is wide, long & clean. Great sunsets.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:51 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,634,875 times
As someone else mentioned, I would recommend Cape Flattery just outside of Neah Bay- just a stunningly beautiful place that feels so incredibly remote- we truly felt like we were in a lost world when we went up there a couple years ago. It is a long ways, though, from Seattle- probably almost 90 minutes northwest of Port Angeles.
It's a rocky coastline at the furthest point northwest in the continental US. Just offshore from the lookout point is a small island with an abandoned light house on it- it's fascinating to look at it and imagine what it would be like to get onto that island and explore the light house and the small grounds around it, or what it was like for those who used to live there back in the day.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:42 PM

719 posts, read 989,309 times
Anywhere with a nearby bluff that I can scramble up in the event of an earthquake/tsunami. In all seriousness, though, I liked Pacific Beach a lot. And that new development in and around Seabrook is exceedingly tasteful (though feels more like something out of Cape Cod than the PNW).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Just offshore from the lookout point is a small island with an abandoned light house on it
Cape Flattery Lighthouse is automated (like most lighthouses), but hardly abandoned. If you want an example of a truly abandoned lighthouse, check out Smith Island Lighthouse, although as far as I know nothing is now left of it (sad, really -- it was a nice looking building once).

Old 07-02-2014, 08:14 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,634,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Anywhere with a nearby bluff that I can scramble up in the event of an earthquake/tsunami. In all seriousness, though, I liked Pacific Beach a lot. And that new development in and around Seabrook is exceedingly tasteful (though feels more like something out of Cape Cod than the PNW).

Cape Flattery Lighthouse is automated (like most lighthouses), but hardly abandoned. If you want an example of a truly abandoned lighthouse, check out Smith Island Lighthouse, although as far as I know nothing is now left of it (sad, really -- it was a nice looking building once).
Ah, yeah, I guess by "abandoned" I meant that nobody was living there anymore. But I suppose if it's still in use as an automated light house, maintenance crews still frequently visit the island? I don't know why it's so fascinating, but it would be amazing to step foot on that island and spend an hour or two there!

Old 07-02-2014, 10:30 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,382,944 times
When you find a destination be sure to look at Google Maps to see how long it will likely take to get there to see if you have time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington