Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:45 PM

68 posts, read 211,111 times

Advertisements

Tacoma is a truly underrated city, with neighborhoods on the North End (Proctor, Oldtown, Stadium, dare I say HIlltop etc.) that have every bit as much charm and character as those in North Seattle at a lower cost. The South End area is decent too for the most part - ethnically very diverse by PNW Standards and full of unique businesses and beautiful old homes. The East side and far south side (towards Lakewood/Parkland) are what gives the whole southern area a bad rep, and still the area isn't as bad as its reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 10:47 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Yeah, even if I wanted to live in Oakland, or anywhere in the Bay Area, I couldn't afford it. Although, from your last post, maybe Oakland is worth visiting.. Perhaps, I listened to too much Northern Cali rap music back when I was young and got the wrong idea of the place. I have a brother in San Fran and may go down there eventually to visit.

As far as Tacoma, it is much more affordable. There are some sketchy places. I suppose the work you do is another factor. Did you say you worked from home? I do, so the Tacoma/Federal Way area was much more economical for me with my income and I am still within reasonable driving distance to Seattle if I want a couple times a week. However, I found this area to be not so bad and the scenery is actually nicer than Seattle. There also is plentiful nature areas all around Tacoma. If you need to find a job in Tacoma, then you may have some issues, depending on your field. If you are bringing a Northern Cali income with you, then you can get a real nice place in Tacoma, whereas Seattle is closer to San Fran prices.

It's a bit liberal for me, but Olympia is only 30-40 min from Tacoma as well. It is a quirky hippyish kind of town. There also is one of the largest Cabelas in the country right near Lacey, if you are into outdoors stuff. I love having Cabelas nearby. If nothing more, just to hang out.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
is the seafood selection and quality as good as Seattle's? I go crazy for seafood and that's a huge plus to me for Seattle.
Yes... Why wouldn't it be?

If it was the case you're looking for a specific fish (and if none of the Tacoma's stores had it)... You could always check H-Mart in Federal Way.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yes... Why wouldn't it be?

If it was the case you're looking for a specific fish (and if none of the Tacoma's stores had it)... You could always check H-Mart in Federal Way.
Well, I personally don't like H-Mart. I'd advise you to make the trip to Renton or even Seattle and go to Uwajimaya which is 100 times better store and get even better quality fish and Asian food products than you can get at H-Mart. I was purchasing cases of Organic Natto at Uwajimaya. There is no other store in the Pacific Northwest that can get you Organic, Fresh Natto, but that store.

Oh yeah, if you don't speak Korean, good luck getting around H-Mart. Very few employees speak English and the ones that do it is quite broken. I always bring my Android Korean translator with me when I shop at H-Mart. It really helps as the people can read the Korean it translates.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Well, I personally don't like H-Mart. I'd advise you to make the trip to Renton or even Seattle and go to Uwajimaya which is 100 times better store and get even better quality fish and Asian food products than you can get at H-Mart. I was purchasing cases of Organic Natto at Uwajimaya. There is no other store in the Pacific Northwest that can get you Organic, Fresh Natto, but that store.

Oh yeah, if you don't speak Korean, good luck getting around H-Mart. Very few employees speak English and the ones that do it is quite broken. I always bring my Android Korean translator with me when I shop at H-Mart. It really helps as the people can read the Korean it translates.
Eh, while I would put Uwajimaya a couple notches above H-Mart, I think H-Mart is a still a good store with a great and affordable selection. The produce is definitely more affordable than Uwajimaya and I feel that they've offer more selection. I haven't had a problem with the employees. I do remember one talked quite fast that my husband (who's deaf) asked if she's hustling me. LOL. And I do *love* Natto, I don't generally come across Non-Japanese folks who do like it. My mother would make it and it'd stunk the whole room. Yummy!

But my point was simply that Gentoo wouldn't be completely deprived of whatever he needed or wants should he choose Tacoma over Seattle.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:48 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Tacoma has stores and restaurants that Seattle has, like Metropolitan Market, and Steamers and Anthony's. They've got seafood markets like Johnny's and Northern Seafood which have been around forever, and Tacoma Boys.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
My dad used to own a house in Napavine when he lived in WA and I still have some family there and in Centralia. I found the people almost disgustingly friendly. My cousin lives in Spokane and while I've not yet been there, he said the same thing. She wanted to moved back to CA but she said the people in WA really won her over.
I've found WA'ians to be friendly just about everywhere. Everett, Spokane, Seattle, you name it. Same goes for much of western OR (not so much eastern, in my experience).

One time, a realtor in Centralia refused to show my mother any homes. Of course, this wouldn't be indicative of Centralia as a whole, but it did provide sour grapes at the time.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,819 times
So i just saw this post i am wanting a change of scenary and want to move to tacoma from san antonio texas as a nurse how is it job wise in the medical field and just starting over new in a new city..... Crime to me is everywhere i mean people die everyday in san antonio and get robbed getting out of cars so its crime everywhere i want to know about the city as a whole

Old 05-08-2013, 03:43 PM

419 posts, read 656,406 times
Personally, I love North Tacoma but don't live there - wish I did. I love the Proctor district. Also, Fircrest is very nice. Puyallup is ok but I think it has become too crowded especially South Hill and you have to travel through Meridian to get anywhere in Puyallup which is always crowded. There are places in Puyallup that don't require traveling on Meridian and they would be nice. Ruston, Pt Defiance is also nice. I would stay away from the Stadium district - it use to be nice but to me it has gone downhill. Just my opinion. Others might think differently. Stay away from Hilltop. Also places in Fife, east of hwy 5 has some really nice areas. Some parts of Lakewood are very nice also. Good luck to you.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times
East Tacoma, it's where all the nice parts are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington