Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:10 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is a good response. "Ghetto" doesn't necessarily equal car break ins either. I live in Richmond, CA., GHETTO AS HELL but there are virtually no car or home break ins here.

Inkpoe, how much of Tacoma would you say is bad and what does bad mean for Tacoma?
Meh... When it comes to "bad", you'd really have to ask how much time the person has spent in Tacoma. Most Seattleites don't step foot in there, but will regale you about how "bad" and smelly and bleh Tacoma is. People watch Cops: Lakewood... which really doesn't help (though it does give an idea of what the problems bad areas have). But I've come across enough people who love Tacoma so much they don't step foot in Seattle because Seattle's overrated and their needs are very well met that there's no need to go to Seattle. Seattle does have several things that Tacoma doesn't have, so they'll go. But that's just the thing, its not necessary. Tacoma has a lot going on for it. My husband and I would definitely consider living there. As for crime, I can always talk to the police departments and see the problems areas are at. But I wouldn't avoid Tacoma because the reputation. I've visited area many times and just like it. In fact I actually like it a lot more than Seattle. (And yes, I agree with Rotse, people are very friendly there.)

The part of Tacoma I don't like is South Tacoma because there's a huge swath of land and industry that just makes that place look very unpretty and old. Very depressing. I could personally never live in South End Tacoma as well, I guess if there were a description I can come up with, it'd be low-end blue collar (for both South and South End). My friend did grow up in that area and the one thing that drove me nuts is how they did their layouts. Numbers - east/west; names north-south... which is fine, except they don't always have street signs or the signs are so beat up or bend that they never got around to fixing. Even worse, there... house numbers don't even reflect the street. I can remember the first time I went to her house, she said it was blue-gray, number 127. Street signs were not there. I was standing at a house that was blue-gray, numbered 127 and kept getting mad at my friend on the phone because I'm banging the door and she's telling me she doesn't hear me. Turns out I was off by 2 streets down. I'm really good with directions and all, but oy vey

I have another friend that currently lives between Lincoln Park and McKinley Park. Lots of old charming small homes. Seems nice enough.

If there was a cut off, I'd say the Tacoma I like most is north of 19th st. I would also include most of University Place (which kinda feels like a more spread out West Seattle) to that list, even though the two are separate towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 05:48 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Meh... When it comes to "bad", you'd really have to ask how much time the person has spent in Tacoma. Most Seattleites don't step foot in there, but will regale you about how "bad" and smelly and bleh Tacoma is. People watch Cops: Lakewood... which really doesn't help (though it does give an idea of what the problems bad areas have). But I've come across enough people who love Tacoma so much they don't step foot in Seattle because Seattle's overrated and their needs are very well met that there's no need to go to Seattle. Seattle does have several things that Tacoma doesn't have, so they'll go. But that's just the thing, its not necessary. Tacoma has a lot going on for it. My husband and I would definitely consider living there. As for crime, I can always talk to the police departments and see the problems areas are at. But I wouldn't avoid Tacoma because the reputation. I've visited area many times and just like it. In fact I actually like it a lot more than Seattle. (And yes, I agree with Rotse, people are very friendly there.)

The part of Tacoma I don't like is South Tacoma because there's a huge swath of land and industry that just makes that place look very unpretty and old. Very depressing. I could personally never live in South End Tacoma as well, I guess if there were a description I can come up with, it'd be low-end blue collar (for both South and South End). My friend did grow up in that area and the one thing that drove me nuts is how they did their layouts. Numbers - east/west; names north-south... which is fine, except they don't always have street signs or the signs are so beat up or bend that they never got around to fixing. Even worse, there... house numbers don't even reflect the street. I can remember the first time I went to her house, she said it was blue-gray, number 127. Street signs were not there. I was standing at a house that was blue-gray, numbered 127 and kept getting mad at my friend on the phone because I'm banging the door and she's telling me she doesn't hear me. Turns out I was off by 2 streets down. I'm really good with directions and all, but oy vey

I have another friend that currently lives between Lincoln Park and McKinley Park. Lots of old charming small homes. Seems nice enough.

If there was a cut off, I'd say the Tacoma I like most is north of 19th st. I would also include most of University Place (which kinda feels like a more spread out West Seattle) to that list, even though the two are separate towns.
Great info. Tacoma sounds almost exactly like Oakland; bad rep due to heavy weighted negative media coverage but is overall friendlier than its more popular neighbor. You really have me considering Tacoma a bit more now. I just need to go for a visit as I've not yet been there.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:06 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Great info. Tacoma sounds almost exactly like Oakland; bad rep due to heavy weighted negative media coverage but is overall friendlier than its more popular neighbor. You really have me considering Tacoma a bit more now. I just need to go for a visit as I've not yet been there.
You should totally visit Tacoma.
1. It has more cool old houses than Seattle.
2. Mountain and water views galore.
3. Some great Farmer's Markets.
4. They've got a streetcar line.
5. Point Defiance Park is spectacular.

To me, the Proctor District and Old Town are the tops.
I'm not sure where the dividing line should be( ha, maybe Division St?), but North Tacoma and West Tacoma are generally nicer than South and East, although Brown's Point is lovely and on the east side.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
I agree with most of what InkPoe said in the last post.. Unlike others here, I live near Tacoma and have hung around all sorts of areas in the town. I really love the 6th Ave District, which has a long strip of interesting bars, restaurants and even a Co-OP (which sucks, but at least they have one!). Tacoma has a better health food store than any of the ones in Seattle, called Marlenes. Marlenes store in Federal Way is the best health food store in the Puget Sound, period. Seattle, actually has a crappy selection of health food stores, although I do like Whole Foods, for certain types of items. Glad they have one and wish Tacoma had one. One strike against Tacoma.

I am petrified of Oakland and would never think Tacoma could ever compare. My only experience of Oakland was taking a Greyhound Bus there and approaching a barbed wire gate with armed guards who opened the gate and let the bus through. This was the mid 90s, however, and so maybe things have changed. I don't know. However, I do hear Oakland has some nice neighborhoods. Nonetheless, Tacoma has considerably much less crime than most places I have been in California, especially Oakland. Just review the crime statistics and Tacoma is considerably lower than Oakland. Even NE Portland (during the 90s) felt sketchier than Tacoma does now. Although I heard Tacoma in the 90s had a lot more crime.

Also, most of the gangs and crime in Tacoma occurs in the SouthEast/Eastern side and the Lakewood area. Most people, except people who live there, have no reason to go down there. Parkland, has some pockets of grime, but also some nice areas near the Pacific Lutheran University.

Tacoma has better scenery and better state parks than Seattle. Tacoma also does have nicer architecture and feels more historic than Seattle. I would say Tacoma has more soul than Seattle. Seattle feels soulless, Tacoma has a soul and some chutzpah (as I would say it).

Having Mount Rainier taking up the skyline on a clear day is a so breathtaking, even in the worst area of Tacoma it overwhelms you and you don't notice all the grit around you. If I was to stay in the USA the rest of my life, which I doubt, I'd be happy living in North Tacoma. I'd like to buy one of those old Victorian historic houses with a view of the Sound and Rainier.

One caveat about Tacoma.. It's segregated. People don't seem racist at all, but I notice the black people live in their own areas and don't seem to go to the areas with white people. Tacoma feels like a very white town. However, it's blue collar, lower/mid-income people which makes them seem fairly accepting. I always wonder why Tacoma is not more diverse as the people don't seem that polarizing, unlike in Seattle. However, the Tacoma Mall seems like a melting pot of almost all ethnic groups of people in Tacoma. I find the mall to be quite interesting, actually.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
You should totally visit Tacoma.
1. It has more cool old houses than Seattle.
2. Mountain and water views galore.
3. Some great Farmer's Markets.
4. They've got a streetcar line.
5. Point Defiance Park is spectacular.

To me, the Proctor District and Old Town are the tops.
I'm not sure where the dividing line should be( ha, maybe Division St?), but North Tacoma and West Tacoma are generally nicer than South and East, although Brown's Point is lovely and on the east side.
Ira, I have always liked the info you provide and now I think my next visit to the sound will definitely include Tacoma. The mountain and water views galore pretty much clinched it for me.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I agree with most of what InkPoe said in the last post.. Unlike others here, I live near Tacoma and have hung around all sorts of areas in the town. I really love the 6th Ave District, which has a long strip of interesting bars, restaurants and even a Co-OP (which sucks, but at least they have one!). Tacoma has a better health food store than any of the ones in Seattle, called Marlenes. Marlenes store in Federal Way is the best health food store in the Puget Sound, period. Seattle, actually has a crappy selection of health food stores, although I do like Whole Foods, for certain types of items. Glad they have one and wish Tacoma had one. One strike against Tacoma.

I am petrified of Oakland and would never think Tacoma could ever compare. My only experience of Oakland was taking a Greyhound Bus there and approaching a barbed wire gate with armed guards who opened the gate and let the bus through. This was the mid 90s, however, and so maybe things have changed. I don't know. However, I do hear Oakland has some nice neighborhoods. Nonetheless, Tacoma has considerably much less crime than most places I have been in California, especially Oakland. Just review the crime statistics and Tacoma is considerably lower than Oakland. Even NE Portland (during the 90s) felt sketchier than Tacoma does now. Although I heard Tacoma in the 90s had a lot more crime.

Also, most of the gangs and crime in Tacoma occurs in the SouthEast/Eastern side and the Lakewood area. Most people, except people who live there, have no reason to go down there. Parkland, has some pockets of grime, but also some nice areas near the Pacific Lutheran University.

Tacoma has better scenery and better state parks than Seattle. Tacoma also does have nicer architecture and feels more historic than Seattle. I would say Tacoma has more soul than Seattle. Seattle feels soulless, Tacoma has a soul and some chutzpah (as I would say it).

Having Mount Rainier taking up the skyline on a clear day is a so breathtaking, even in the worst area of Tacoma it overwhelms you and you don't notice all the grit around you. If I was to stay in the USA the rest of my life, which I doubt, I'd be happy living in North Tacoma. I'd like to buy one of those old Victorian historic houses with a view of the Sound and Rainier.

One caveat about Tacoma.. It's segregated. People don't seem racist at all, but I notice the black people live in their own areas and don't seem to go to the areas with white people. Tacoma feels like a very white town. However, it's blue collar, lower/mid-income people which makes them seem fairly accepting. I always wonder why Tacoma is not more diverse as the people don't seem that polarizing, unlike in Seattle. However, the Tacoma Mall seems like a melting pot of almost all ethnic groups of people in Tacoma. I find the mall to be quite interesting, actually.
That bus station is in an area that was crazy in the mid nineties, that part of downtown. Most of Oakland's crime is concentrated in a 100 square block area. Unfortunately, the airport requires you to pass through the worse part of the city. Oakland actually has areas that are very safe. The cool parts of town with things buzzing are Rockridge and Temescal. There are multi million dollar homes in the hills.

Sorry, just had to set that record straight. Everything you all are telling me about Tacoma is making me think I certainly would like it better. In the Bay Area, Oakland has more charm and soul and "chutzpah" than San Francisco. In San Diego, I personally preferred Chula Vista, the second largest city there for the same reasons. it seems as though these "second" cities is where all the real character and charm lie in a metro. I definitely want to live in a place that feels more integrated (Oakland is very much that way) and less segregated (like SF) so Tacoma may be my new target.

If there's not a Whole Foods, I'll do ok if there's a Trader Joes.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
If there's not a Whole Foods, I'll do ok if there's a Trader Joes.
There's a Trader Joe's in University Place. But why go there when you got the Tacoma Boys!

Tacoma Puyallup Lakewood Fresh Produce Fruits & Vegetables, Butcher Meat & Seafood, Garden Plants for Tacoma, Puyallup, Lakewood, University Place - Tacoma Boys - H & L Produce

Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Oh my God! This is sooo looking like the place for me. I liked them on my Facebook. That's the kind of place I love to shop. Frsh produce, and seafood too?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Oh my God! This is sooo looking like the place for me. I liked them on my Facebook. That's the kind of place I love to shop. Frsh produce, and seafood too?
I think you would like Tacoma, Gentoo. I'm personally not a fan of Trader Joes. Seriously, with two Marlenes, one nearby in Federal Way and the other in Tacoma, you will have some good options. I haven't walked into a Trader Joes in many years and have not missed it. I get real free range eggs and raw grass fed milk at Marlenes. Good luck finding that at Trader Joes or even Whole Foods.

As far as finding a place that is not segregated, well Tacoma is segregated, but also a little integrated. It seems the Black people live in their own neighborhoods. Why, I am not sure? People don't seem segregated in their mentality. I have walked around the town in my traditional Middle Eastern type of clothing and nobody insulted me or gave me evil stares. I don't know how to describe it. It is a blue-collary, hipstery, lower-middle class Pacific Northwest town. It reminds me of living in SE Portland during the 90s, minus the hippies, as Tacoma is not plentiful in hippies, unlike Portland used to be.

I know some pretty cool spots in Tacoma, so if you ever visit, I can give you some tips. I'm also planning on hiking through the beautiful parks on the Sound I keep hearing people rave about.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I think you would like Tacoma, Gentoo. I'm personally not a fan of Trader Joes. Seriously, with two Marlenes, one nearby in Federal Way and the other in Tacoma, you will have some good options. I haven't walked into a Trader Joes in many years and have not missed it. I get real free range eggs and raw grass fed milk at Marlenes. Good luck finding that at Trader Joes or even Whole Foods.

As far as finding a place that is not segregated, well Tacoma is segregated, but also a little integrated. It seems the Black people live in their own neighborhoods. Why, I am not sure? People don't seem segregated in their mentality. I have walked around the town in my traditional Middle Eastern type of clothing and nobody insulted me or gave me evil stares. I don't know how to describe it. It is a blue-collary, hipstery, lower-middle class Pacific Northwest town. It reminds me of living in SE Portland during the 90s, minus the hippies, as Tacoma is not plentiful in hippies, unlike Portland used to be.

I know some pretty cool spots in Tacoma, so if you ever visit, I can give you some tips. I'm also planning on hiking through the beautiful parks on the Sound I keep hearing people rave about.
Mentally segregated I guess is what I'm referring to. old neighborhood living habits die hard but mentalities often change way ahead of them, this happened in San Diego. Sounds like Tacoma has a lot of options for good food shopping. Oakland and Berkeley do too but they are snottily expensive. I miss Henry's in San Diego but Tacoma will likely give me plenty more options. is the seafood selection and quality as good as Seattle's? I go crazy for seafood and that's a huge plus to me for Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington