Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 AM

1 posts, read 14,192 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

My partner and I currently live in Spokane and are thinking about moving to Wenatchee. It seems to have nearly everything we are looking for but I cannot find any information on how gay friendly the city is.

For those of you who have lived there especially - what are your opinions?

It makes me think that because I couldn't find anything (except suggestions for therapy for gay people) that it is a pretty conservative city; but that doesn't mean it isn't at least gay friendly.

I would love any other suggestions you may have about cities to live in or just other info on Wenatchee as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 AM

256 posts, read 541,360 times
Wenatchee is the agricultural hub in the state so it leans to the right and in elections they voted Republican.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 PM

173 posts, read 225,170 times
Nearly 43% of Chelan County (of which Wenatchee is the largest city) voted for I-74, same-sex marriage. So there is some support. Not exactly Bible-belt territory.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downnice View Post
Wenatchee is the agricultural hub in the state so it leans to the right and in elections they voted Republican.
1) Republican does NOT automatically = Homophobic

2) Although I can not specifically speak to the "gay-friendliness" of everyone in Wenatchee, I can attest that I can think of at least two specific couples that I had as clients, when I lived there, that I knew fairly well - who had never mentioned anything about anti-gay treatment from anyone in town.

At worst, like every other town in Eastern WA, Wenatchee has a "live and let live" attitude.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
Tolerant, but not overly so. This is still a conservative area of Washington.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 12,695 times
I think Wenatchee is gay friendly, I moved here from San Diego 3 years ago and never had a bad experience at work or anywhere in town. I have gay friends visiting all the time and we always have a good time when we go out for drinks, skiing or eating in a local restaurant.
There are few gay guys, but probably not enough to support a gay bar.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 11,574 times
Having been born in raised in Wenatchee, I find I surprise people when I say that it's more progressive than you would think. The constant influence from incoming Seattleites and Californians has knocked the more conservative edges off the town. That's not to say its perfection but I'm fairly sure that a gay couple could easily fit into town as long as they follow the rules that every other couple follows about PDAs, etc. I've never had any problem when I've gone back with a boyfriend and I've deliberately placed myself right in the middle of Apple Blossom as a test. The live and let live attitude mentioned above is the norm, not the exception so I wouldn't worry much. There's also the point to be made that Wenatchee had a pretty popular gay owned restaurant 30 years ago.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 8,429 times
I'm not sure if this is a dead thread but.........

I've been researching places to live and discovered Wenatchee. I'm more interested if this city is a tolerant place more than specifically "gay" friendly.

Is there still anyone out there from Wenatchee who I can have a dialog about what it's like to live there....taxes, retirement, etc.?

Old 08-18-2017, 03:40 PM

467 posts, read 526,617 times
i moved from Wenatchee two years ago. My husband and I loved Wenatchee and the surrounding area. I can think of several times we did business with gay couples. There must have been many more where we were not aware of whether they were gay or not. Leavenworth also has some gay couples we know. At no time did any of them mention being uncomfortable in the area, but then again, it was never a topic of conversation.

As for living the retired life, utilities are some of the lowest in the country. Property taxes are lower than what we pay now in Clark County. Housing costs have raised rapidly since we moved. Medical care is good. We found it very easy to access everything we wanted to do.

We would have stayed in Wenatchee, but kids and grandkids were all in Portland.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:46 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
As Jane mentioned, if you are considering Wenatchee for retirement, I would be much more worried about the ridiculously high real estate prices than I would any anti-gay sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington