Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:33 AM

147 posts, read 167,638 times

Advertisements

You will notice many political Trump signs around town and jail Hillary signs. People who put them up and never took them down. Also billboards against Planned Parenthood. Lots of churches. Typical small town America. But that being said, I have never encountered anyone having heated discussions about politics. They had their first gay pride parade here this year. There is a liberal population, but many of the long time locals and older local population that are the most conservative. Most people you encounter are friendly and non-judgmental. On social media you find that there are many conservative opinions and complaints about the 206's moving in and driving up real estate prices.
There is a lot to do, outdoor recreation is great. Many good restaurants and bars. Not much traffic, fresh fruit, low cost utilities, irrigation water, all pluses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,999 times
Not sure about Wenatchee but my daughter and her girlfriend have lived in both Cle Elum and Ellensburg and have never had any (that I'm aware of) issues with unacceptance of same sex relationships. This may be due to being more socially acceptable being two females but I've also known a few men that have never mentioned much negativity except there isn't much of a dating pool. Since that's not an issue for you i think you'll be alright fitting in..

Old 08-28-2017, 10:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
There are generally two levels of gay acceptance in Washington State. "Very Accepting", and "Accepting". Wenatchee and most of Eastern WA would fall to the latter. My major point here is there are very few who hate gays in Washington.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-28-2017 at 10:52 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 11:16 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
As Jane mentioned, if you are considering Wenatchee for retirement, I would be much more worried about the ridiculously high real estate prices than I would any anti-gay sentiment.
And wildfires...

Old 08-29-2017, 06:48 PM

467 posts, read 526,074 times
Thank you, Crazey Donkey. The fires are a major reason we left Wenatchee.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:17 PM

147 posts, read 167,638 times
The smoke in the Wenatchee valley so far this year has been from wildfires in Canada, and now wildfires in Oregon.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
And wildfires...
Yes. Anyone who lives anywhere in the Western US, other than the small, geographically isolated coastal regions, needs to realize that wildfires are a fact of life in the summer.

If you live here, wildfires WILL affect you in some capacity at some point - as for Washington state this year (so far) it's only been poor air quality due to distant fires - but as recently as 2 years ago, there was serious property damage, evacuations, and loss of life due to major wildfire activity.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:40 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Yes. Anyone who lives anywhere in the Western US, other than the small, geographically isolated coastal regions, needs to realize that wildfires are a fact of life in the summer.

If you live here, wildfires WILL affect you in some capacity at some point - as for Washington state this year (so far) it's only been poor air quality due to distant fires - but as recently as 2 years ago, there was serious property damage, evacuations, and loss of life due to major wildfire activity.
While 2015 was a terrible wildfire season, I don't recall as much smoke in the central basin as this year.

But we are getting away from the OP topic here.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 8,422 times
Thx PS90 and Jane for your feedback!

Old 09-30-2017, 05:35 PM

1,487 posts, read 781,364 times
If you want to go somewhere else east if the mts, go to Ellensburg, Central Washington U's campus. Collegiates are always going to be open-minded and tolerant of alternative lifestyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington