Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2020, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 897 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how lgbt friendly is Roslyn? Do you think they would be ok with an older transwoman living and working there? Considering moving and am looking at possible choices. Safety is my concern.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 734 times
I know this is a really old thread but I grew up in Wenatchee and went to school there in the 1990's. The Homophobia I saw amongst the males in the early to late 90's was scary. In the early 90's one kid at the high school came-out but the other boys hazed him until he went somewhere else. It's not like it was 1 or 5 guys, but it was a significant number of guys we doing it. Not only that but quite a number of those guys talked about how much they hate Homosexuals. It wasn't just limited to the jokes teenage boys make, and I'd also see adults make crude gay jokes.

I'm not gay but the homophobia I saw there made a strong impression. Because of this, I can see how this homophobic mentality can escalate and end up hurting someone like Matt Shepard. Most of those guys are still living in Wenatchee, and personally I wouldn't want to be around them if I was gay. From what I've seen in my years, most people don't every grow out of their Homophobia, they hide it.

Racism in Wenatchee wasn't ever that bad, and usually people of other races were treated fairly well in Wenatchee.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:17 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Kids are homophobic.

Wenatchee is a very tolerant community, particularly when it comes to homosexuals. The number of homosexuals in the community is very high, but they do NOT live a "visible" lifestyle so most folks don't notice.

That said, Wenatchee has been totally trashed since 2010 with urban refugees from western Washington. LOTS of them were right wing people from western Washington that thought since we voted Republican, they bought into the stereotypes.

The traffic is awful, the McMansions are ugly, and it just gets worse and worse year by year. Along with that, the tolerance and acceptance of good people in the community is falling as it is ALL ABOUT BEING RIGHT by the western Washington refugees.

We got a western Washington Congressional representative in 2010 and we became part of western Washington with all its flaws.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:47 PM

Oh, forgot to add that Wenatchee is now 40% Mexican....nice folks, but not very tolerant of homosexuals.

That might be an issue.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:11 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
I think Wenatchee would score in the middle on this subject. The area has a mix of very tolerant folk, but also some conservatives with a different view.

I just happen to be in Wenatchee visiting some friends right now. A bit off subject but traffic is a mess here, likely because there is only one main Street (Mission) and it is a pain. While there is a bypass east of the the river they need one west of the river. But I don’t know where they would put it.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-14-2022 at 11:44 PM..

Old 04-15-2022, 08:42 AM

Welcome to the NEW Wenatchee.

Brought to you by urban refugees from the Seattle area!!! As a local realtor, said "we NEED to provide to the POOR people moving from Seattle that cannot find a place to live"

There is NO fix for traffic in Wenatchee. The landscape doesn't allow for any solutions.

Fewer people, we need to follow the Canadians and require a permit to live in highly desirable areas like eastern Washington.

Unfortunately, that is not going to happen. Get a good stereo for your car, while you sit in traffic.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:22 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Welcome to the NEW Wenatchee.

Brought to you by urban refugees from the Seattle area!!! As a local realtor, said "we NEED to provide to the POOR people moving from Seattle that cannot find a place to live"

There is NO fix for traffic in Wenatchee. The landscape doesn't allow for any solutions.

Fewer people, we need to follow the Canadians and require a permit to live in highly desirable areas like eastern Washington.

Unfortunately, that is not going to happen. Get a good stereo for your car, while you sit in traffic.
It seems like WA, in general, is experiencing growth. Someone made the comment that this might be similar to what NYC was in the late 1800's regarding massive, ongoing growth.

At some point NYC was as developed as Seattle (very little, just indigenous peoples) So, it only figures that at some point, Seattle could be as developed as NYC.

That's a scary thought not just to you.

It's going to get worse, but for the entire state, not just where you happen to live.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:22 PM

I likely won’t be around but I think by 2050 Seattle will be a major us center competitive with LA, Chicago, NYC. I don’t see growth slowing but I do see many from the the mega cities will be moving there. I am certain city planners understand this, hence, continued investment in light rail, airports, etc. Seattle has always been a boom and bust city but this cycle may becoming to an end.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-17-2022 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-19-2022, 08:40 PM

I don’t think Wenatchee will ever be considered a suburb of Seattle, mainly due to the Cascade range. However it will continue to be a “spillover” spot, resulting in tremendous population growth. I predict mid to high rise condos within 15-20 years, though there may be some zoning issues that likely would be changed as needed. I think Wenatchee is in for some major growth the next two decades.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-19-2022 at 08:59 PM..

Old 04-20-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I don’t think Wenatchee will ever be considered a suburb of Seattle, mainly due to the Cascade range. However it will continue to be a “spillover” spot, resulting in tremendous population growth. I predict mid to high rise condos within 15-20 years, though there may be some zoning issues that likely would be changed as needed. I think Wenatchee is in for some major growth the next two decades.
It is a suburb of Seattle. Check the traffic counts on weekends. Same amount of traffic headed west as east

The city of Wenatchee, which is run by Democrats, is expanding the city boundary under the Growth Management Act. As they expand, the new "city" areas are being converted to high density zoning, primarily large apartment complexes. Yeah, you might be right, we will have high-rise condo's and traffic that is NOT moving anywhere.

The Growth Management Act gave the Governor authority to over ride local zoning by "conservative" County Commissioners in eastern Washington. The thought was that "western" Washington values are more in tune with protecting the environment.

Yeah, right.

So far, it is has been used to OVER RIDE local decisions protecting the environment to allow development by western Washington interests!!!

The Growth Management Act was suppose to protect agricultural lands, except when those lands were needed by Western Washington companies to develop.

Yes, Wenatchee is now part of western Washington and headed to the same cesspool that is western Washington.

You know, I think the Democrats in western Washington think living in a cesspool is NORMAL. They miss it when they move over here and quickly want to same "smell" in their homes HERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington