Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:10 AM

30 posts, read 93,785 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband is considering a job offer in Calabasas. I've been doing some research and am not sure that we can afford to live anywhere near there. Still a little baffled at how the median salary in calabasas is around $125K yet the median cost of a home is $1.2 million.
So, where can a family of 4 (husband making about $125K and wife stay at home mom and 2 kids) live and commute to Calabasas. 3 bedroom house in the $300's? Simi Valley? Santa Clarita? Ideas?
We are not familiar with LA area. We lived in San Francisco bay area years ago and moved for husband's job to Tulsa OK. Like California better but we do own 3 homes here in Tulsa 2 of which we rent out and one that we live in. Now hubby has chance for job in Calabasas, but we don't really feel like spending all our money on housing. I realize it costs more to live in California but I also realize there are some bedroom communities that are less expensive, I know where they are in bay area, but I don't know where they are in LA area. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:30 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
you could always sell your homes in tulsa and put any equity you have into a home in/near calabasas (since a home here is probably worth 3x those in tulsa anyways). or you could look in the thousand oaks or simi areas. you should be able to afford a home in the $500k range of which there should be plenty to choose from while remaining within a reasonable distance from your husband's office.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:57 AM

142 posts, read 442,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky View Post
Hello, My husband is considering a job offer in Calabasas. I've been doing some research and am not sure that we can afford to live anywhere near there. Still a little baffled at how the median salary in calabasas is around $125K yet the median cost of a home is $1.2 million.
So, where can a family of 4 (husband making about $125K and wife stay at home mom and 2 kids) live and commute to Calabasas. 3 bedroom house in the $300's? Simi Valley? Santa Clarita? Ideas?

They bought years ago or had a family inheritance to put down a huge downpayment.

I think Simi Valley and Santa Clarita are good starting places to consider. You might also consider Thousand Oaks, Oak Park, etc.

Also, West Hills in the San Fernando Valley....schools are in the LAUSD but many of the local schools are good out there.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:44 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Santa Clarita commute would be waaaay too much. I am not a fan of Simi Valley or Thousand Oaks either.

What is your budget?
Buying or renting?
Ages of kids?

Woodland Hills is right next to Calabasas and the schools are great. The 14 year old goes to El Camino Real high school which is probably the best high school in all of LAUSD. Taft high is another option as well.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:12 PM

30 posts, read 93,785 times
What is your budget? house in the $300-$400K's
Buying or renting? buying
Ages of kids? 7 and 3 they currently go to a montessori private school (well, 7 year old does, and 3 year old will)and i haven't checked yet if there are any montessori's in that area, but if there are any in a reasonable drive of where we lived we would want them to go to montessori private school until high school age. so we budget for that and spend money on that instead of a bigger house and mortgage. but they would go to the public high school so that would be a consideration. if there are no montessori schools within a 30 minute drive of where we buy then they would go to the public school and then we could afford up to $500K

Old 04-15-2010, 05:24 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Still a little baffled at how the median salary in calabasas is around $125K yet the median cost of a home is $1.2 million.
The people working there more than likely live somewhere else. Those that live there many of them work somewhere else as well, think entertainment industry.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:00 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
The area we used to call Calabasas Park is quite expensive. I suspect that the job is closer to Las Virgenes and Agoura Rd. Or maybe Mureau. In any case, that part of Calabasas (western part) is not nearly as expensive and I would search there and continue the search west to Agoura, Thousand Oaks, etc. as necessary.

Simi Valley is possible but it isn't a great commute, especially to the western part of Calabasas.

Santa Clarita is a bad commute to Calabasas.

Woodland Hills, as mentioned, is an excellent idea as well.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:03 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
Your best options are Simi Valley or Moorpark or Newbury Park, but 150k isn't going to buy you much. Or you could try going out further to Camarillo.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 PM

3 posts, read 12,654 times
Try Woodland Hills, Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park and Agoura. Simi Valley and Moorpark will be more affordable.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The people working there more than likely live somewhere else.
Isn't that median income statistic for people who live in Calabasas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County