Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 09:51 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,265,666 times

Advertisements

I might be forced to relocate to simi valley for a job in the next few months. I have never been out around that area before so I am just curious about simi valley and the surrounding areas. From what i've read on the boards so far, it seems that simi valley would be terrible and boring for a young single guy to live in.

so, from some google mapping and wikipedia, i have made a beginning list of areas to research. Of these area's, which is the best:

thousand oaks, westlake village, agoura hills, oak park, and calabasas.

how are the commutes from these differnt places to simi valley (since my work is in simi valley)?

or are the commutes bad and should i be looking at places such as chatsworth and porter ranch?

N.B: i apologize to the mods when they see that i made the same thread in the general california website. I was not sure where to place the thread to get the most responses since these areas arent realy in LA "proper" but they are close enough to la that i might get more responses in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 12:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
I might be forced to relocate to simi valley for a job in the next few months. I have never been out around that area before so I am just curious about simi valley and the surrounding areas. From what i've read on the boards so far, it seems that simi valley would be terrible and boring for a young single guy to live in.

so, from some google mapping and wikipedia, i have made a beginning list of areas to research. Of these area's, which is the best:

thousand oaks, westlake village, agoura hills, oak park, and calabasas.

how are the commutes from these differnt places to simi valley (since my work is in simi valley)?
or are the commutes bad and should i be looking at places such as chatsworth and porter ranch?

N.B: i apologize to the mods when they see that i made the same thread in the general california website. I was not sure where to place the thread to get the most responses since these areas arent realy in LA "proper" but they are close enough to la that i might get more responses in here.
Unfortunately for you none of those places is that much more single friendly either. They are all excellent places for families. I lived in Moorpark for about nine years as a single guy and yes, it was challenging. (To make matters worse, I worked on a Navy base, Point Mugu, that is a single chick Siberia.)

The commutes shouldn't be too bad as the 23 has recently been widened to three lanes each direction (I witnessed this a couple of weeks ago - the third lane seemed to really help the bottleneck on the 23 between Janss and the 101.) Most of the morning traffic is heading east on the 118 or south on the 23. Afternoon is reverse.

Ventura might be a lot more fun but it is quite a distance for commuting - and it would be heading east like everyone else.

You might have to suck it up and live in Simi - it's not a bad place - but it is sort of family oriented. You'll really appreciate not dealing with traffic. You could venture out on weekends. There are plenty of softball leagues there (I played in one for years). There are also cycling/mountain biking clubs, volleyball leagues, etc. There are church groups for single people if that is your thing.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:47 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,149,721 times
Live in the San Fernando valley and
commute to Simi Valley.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Live in the San Fernando valley and
commute to Simi Valley.

For what benefit? Where in the valley? Anything within a reasonable commute to SV is pretty much the same as Simi Valley - suburbia. Not sure I see the advantage. CSUN is such a commuter school that living near it really doesn't provide too much benefit for singles. What's left? Chatsworth, Granada Hills, Northridge, ...not too many advantages for singles over Simi.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:20 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,149,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
For what benefit? Where in the valley? Anything within a reasonable commute to SV is pretty much the same as Simi Valley - suburbia. Not sure I see the advantage. CSUN is such a commuter school that living near it really doesn't provide too much benefit for singles. What's left? Chatsworth, Granada Hills, Northridge, ...not too many advantages for singles over Simi.
I commute daily to Studio City from Westake.
He can commute to Simi from Studio City,
Sherman Oaks, Encino, even Woodland Hills.
Tons of young singles and nightlife.
It's worth it to me to commute 40-55 minutes
to live in a family place. Maybe it is worth it
to him to commute to live in a place full of lots of young singles
and single-life. It's worth suggesting...

Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,265,666 times
Quote:

thanks for your imput, as well as charles'. I definately would have to think about having a commute that is 40mins-1 hr long as I am an east coast guy and usually have walked, biked, or taken public transport to work/school. This seems like it'll be a massive culture shock if I do end up in the San Fernando Valley area.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, that's true. I just thought that (Studio City to Simi) would be such a long commute versus living in Simi.

Original Poster: check out Sigalert.com - Personalized Traffic Reports during the times you would expect to commute to see what the traffic is like heading NE towards Simi from Studio City or from wherever to Simi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County