Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:46 PM

20 posts, read 85,866 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm working in Simi Valley and living in Pasadena....There is no traffic back and fort but I drive 40 miles each way, which makes it 80 miles every day....It takes me 45 minutes each way...not bad....but my car maintenance is getting too much now....

However, I'm tired of Pasadena....and I want to move out from this city....but not sure where....

I'm a single woman in mid 30s....I was thinking about Studio City or Sherman Oaks....I don't want to move to Calabasas or Thousand Oaks, because there is no life for singles....

I'm more a city type person....I found it so hard adjusting to Los Angeles' life style....although I love the beach and mountain....but I used to live in Toronto and love that city....love the way that people are so intellectual and educated and life is not so dependent on car....tired of driving all the time here in LA....besides, hard to find quality friends....sorry for nagging...but it's true....I'm an engineer and have a hard time to get connected to people in LA....help me help me...

any ideas where I should go? and which neighborhoods are good for singles....

MT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 03:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
most of the Valley would work for you. Studio City sounds like a good place to start.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,751,320 times
I don't want this to veer off-topic, but do want to warn that if you think Pasadena is not intellectual or educated then you're going to have problems in most places; seemed like every other person I knew in Pasadena had an advanced degree of some sort, and you can't walk a block without running into a college or museum. As for car dependence, keep in mind that much of that is up to you; having an unbearably long commute ties you to a car in a way that many people (especially in Pasadena, which has good public transportation options and pleasant streets for walking) can avoid. I think you're very smart to make the move, as that length of commute would wear me down, too, but make the move with realistic expectations and don't go with the assumption that you're going to find somewhere more "intellectual" or educated. On the other hand, you'll certainly be able to be a lot less dependent on the car if you live by your work, and with less time spent commuting you'll have a lot more time to meet people.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't want this to veer off-topic, but do want to warn that if you think Pasadena is not intellectual or educated then you're going to have problems in most places; seemed like every other person I knew in Pasadena had an advanced degree of some sort, and you can't walk a block without running into a college or museum.
Thanks for your reply....

but I never said that Pasadena doesn't have intellectual people!!!! I said I'm tired of it, that's it....and I'm new here in LA....I like to know about other neighborhoods and my options, now that I'm working at Simi Valley....

Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
I understand where you're coming from. I was a single engineer in Moorpark and most of eastern Ventura County is married people and kids.

Ventura is something to consider but even though it is a few less miles (33 versus 40) it will be slower drive due to the two lane roads (126/118). (You could also do 101/23 or 101/23/118.)

Still, I think it would be best to live near Simi. The cost of a almost one hour one way commute might not really offset the benefits. You can venture out to fun spots on weekends.

Besides, you're an engineer, you're supposed to be working late every evening - unpaid of course. Living the dream. State of the art, leading edge, dedicated to six sigma and achieving CMMI Level 5.

Last edited by Charles; 09-29-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I understand where you're coming from. I was a single engineer in Moorpark and most of eastern Ventura County is married people and kids.

Ventura is something to consider but even though it is a few less miles (33 versus 40) it will be slower drive due to the two lane roads (126/118). (You could also do 101/23 or 101/23/118.)

Still, I think it would be best to live near Simi. The cost of a almost one hour one way commute might not really offset the benefits. You can venture out to fun spots on weekends.

Besides, you're an engineer, you're supposed to be working late every evening - unpaid of course. Living the dream. State of the art, leading edge, dedicated to six sigma and achieving CMMI Level 5.
you are so funny.....I'm still new to the projects and I can leave work sharp at 5pm....hope it stays like this....I know it's better to stay close to my work, but it kills me to be in a neighborhood that I really don't belong to....in the other hand, I'm losing so much money on gas and car maintenance....not sure what I got to do really....yesterday I drove to Studio City from work, there was no traffic....but then I found myself alone there....I don't know anybody there....I should hang out there at weekends to see how it is....I'm thinking to buy a condo eventually, but not sure where....
Honesty, I'm not that fan of LA in general....I like my life style in Toronto better....but what can we do? It's cold there and here is nice and warm

thanks again
MT

Old 10-03-2009, 01:10 PM

571 posts, read 1,933,243 times
Westwood? It can be a bit more urban walkable close-knit in some areas..

Old 10-03-2009, 03:05 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,178,951 times
I wouldn't rule out Thousand Oaks. After all, Amgen is headquartered there and there are lots of well-educated people working there.

Also, what about the Porter Ranch area? Or near CSUN?

Old 10-03-2009, 06:43 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,209,128 times
try meetup.com to find a group of people that have similar interests to you. there is something for everyone in this city, you just might need to work a bit harder to find somewhere to fit in. good luck!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:52 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,082,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmar121 View Post
Hi,

I'm working in Simi Valley and living in Pasadena....There is no traffic back and fort but I drive 40 miles each way, which makes it 80 miles every day....It takes me 45 minutes each way...not bad....but my car maintenance is getting too much now....

However, I'm tired of Pasadena....and I want to move out from this city....but not sure where....

I'm a single woman in mid 30s....I was thinking about Studio City or Sherman Oaks....I don't want to move to Calabasas or Thousand Oaks, because there is no life for singles....

I love the ... mountain....and life ... not so dependent on car....tired of driving all the time here in LA....

any ideas where I should go? and which neighborhoods are good for singles....

MT
Edited your quoted post a bit for things that stood out for me.

My suggestion: move to Chatsworth and commute to Simi on Metrolink with your bicycle. Simi Valley is a pretty bike-friendly city, and the main bike trail across town terminates at the Simi train station.

Living in Chatsworth you'd still be in L.A., and albeit a car-centric part of L.A., but you'd be right on the main coast railroad line, giving you a chance to move about without having to drive all the time. The Chatsworth mountains and Rocy Peak Park are right there in your backyard for hiking and getting away for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County