Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:39 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,771,275 times

Advertisements

We've been thinking of relocating for work from MD to the LA area. Simi has come very highly recommended to us and our research backs that up so if we do move that's basically a given we'd look there first. My biggest question is what the commute would be like from Simi to eastern Pasadena. Does anyone have any experience with that drive? I currently make an almost 1.5 hour one way commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 AM

107 posts, read 721,389 times
You'll be taking the 118 from Simi to the 210 to Pasadena. Fortuitous. The 118 is the only major L.A. freeway that still "works," meaning it clears up pretty soon after it clogs, as opposed to standstill congestion for hours, barring a big rig jackknifing blocking the way or a fire season conflagration. The 210 is still "workable" as well. This could not be said for virtually every other L.A. basin freeway.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:36 PM

114 posts, read 513,278 times
I have lived in Simi all my life..... I dont think the commute would be that terrible. Maybe about 45 minutes on average. I agree that its one of the only freeways that works!! You will hit some traffic going up the hill into Chatsworth on the 118, but like the previous poster stated, it clears up quickly for the most part. Where are you looking in Simi? There are good/ok/yuck areas here!! The area has grown a ton in the last 10 years. We are on our way out(cost of living is high) and I am a stay at home mom, so its hard on one income. But, overall its been a nice, safe, quiet place to live. It's within driving distance of most anything you would want!

Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the info folks! It makes me feel a good bit better about things. It looks like most of the newish construction in our price range is in western simi near moorpark. We think we really want to stay in the simi USD so we can try to get our oldest in santa susanna HS. Other than that we don't really have a specific area of town to consider. Any pointers?

Old 01-11-2007, 04:03 PM

Stormcrow-

I will give you my honest opinion on the Simi areas..... opinion only tho!!

Every time we have bought property here out criteria has always been North of Alamo St. and East of Erringer St. That will include a LOT of neighborhoods. What's your price range?? I may be of more help if I know that. As far as the West end of town goes.... what new construction are you looking at? House wise I am not aware of much new construction.... maybe Brentwood off of First and Fitzgerald? Again without a price range I am of little help! There is Big Sky at the very end of Erringer St...... nice lil "community".... pricey though. PM me if you want more opinion! Amyswtpooh@aol.com

Old 01-11-2007, 04:06 PM

Sorry I meant to say e mail me!!

Also.... HS.... SSHS is more for Arts type kids.... if this applies to yours, then I would definately look into that. The other two HS here dont offer much in that respect. It's also a "better" rep school, at least it was last I heard!

Old 01-11-2007, 04:12 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,473,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoCO View Post
Stormcrow-
I will give you my honest opinion on the Simi areas..... opinion only tho!!
Every time we have bought property here out criteria has always been North of Alamo St. and East of Erringer St. That will include a LOT of neighborhoods. What's your price range?? I may be of more help if I know that. As far as the West end of town goes.... what new construction are you looking at? House wise I am not aware of much new construction.... maybe Brentwood off of First and Fitzgerald? Again without a price range I am of little help! There is Big Sky at the very end of Erringer St...... nice lil "community".... pricey though. PM me if you want more opinion! Amyswtpooh@aol.com
No advertising big dog. Read the Rules and Regulations! Smiley agrees with me, you probably have read the rules and regulations.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 PM

Forgive me, I am relatively new to the boards.... but what was I advertising??????? Mentioning new home developments?? I also mentioned for the person to email me if they wanted some more assistance. I dont have any interest in the housing developments I mentioned. I am a stay at home mother...simply trying to help someone looking in the area. Again..... not sure what you are talking about....please elaborate.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:13 AM

Yeah, I seriously fail to see any advertising in that, big dog.... I've seen very serious cases of advertising on the this board in other areas with realtors posting their contact info and all that. This does not fit that bill.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:11 PM

32 posts, read 134,172 times
Default Simi

I lived in Thousand Oaks for most of the 1980's and really loved it. West Ventura County (Simi, T.O., Moorpark) communities saw lots of new housing tracts in the late 80's. The more recent growth has filled-in more open space and started to gentrify the area, but there are still open hillsides around. These areas generally are very good for raising families. In return for having good schools and safe neighborhoods, you won't get a lot of diversity or cultural options. The climate is very pleasant - some coastal influence, some valley heat. I would not underestimate the commute time to Pasadena however. I agree the 118 and 210 are fairly "open" freeways, but you will have a lot of miles to cover and any traffic problems will really impact your experience. You might find more information on commute times at sigalert.com (not sure the exact URL). That site shows real-time traffic speeds on all LA freeways. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County