Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 11:55 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times

Advertisements

What percentage of people pronounce "Ventura" like: vent-tura. And what percentage say: Ven-chura?

The popular America hit song "Ventura Highway" from 1972 pronounces it 'Ven-chura' Does this drive locals crazy mad??

I just gotta know!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 01:27 AM

30,895 posts, read 36,943,634 times
The Anglicized pronunciation is 'Ven-chura' and the Spanish pronunciation is 'Ven-tura'. Truth be told, even the pronunciation of the 't' sound is still Anglicized, but it's closer to the Spanish pronunciation than the one with the "ch" sound.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:23 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,110 times
What a coincidence. I was teasing my 96 year old mom about this last night (she's originally from Buffalo NY but moved to the SFV in 1958). She's always pronounced it Venchura while everyone I've ever known in California (notice I didn't write "Cali") pronounces it Ven Tour ah.
But for fun, I use these pronunciations: "sal man" (salmon) and cam are ril lo (Camarillo).

Old 07-29-2019, 09:09 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
What percentage of people pronounce "Ventura" like: vent-tura. And what percentage say: Ven-chura?

The popular America hit song "Ventura Highway" from 1972 pronounces it 'Ven-chura' Does this drive locals crazy mad??

I just gotta know!!
It is funny but I use both. Depends on if in casual conversation or more business oriented.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:15 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,799 times
Nobody really cares how it's pronounced. Being up-tight like that is a total East Coast thing.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:54 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Thirty-three years local. Venchura. Please don’t! Nails on a chalkboard. And while we’re at it, Cali. Double nails on a chalkboard.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 07-31-2019 at 04:03 AM..

Old 07-31-2019, 04:56 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Raised in so cal. Definitely Ven-TURRuh

Old 07-31-2019, 08:54 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Raised in so cal. Definitely Ven-TURRuh
Ditto. And lived in the county for over twenty years. Never heard it pronounced the other way.

Now the wife...she always pronounced that one city, "Cam-uh-ree-show". South Americans, (she is Uruguayan), have a totally different way in how they pronounce the Castilian "double-L" letter.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-31-2019, 09:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
... lived in the county for over twenty years. Never heard it pronounced the other way.
I do hear "Ven-chura," but mostly from people outside of the area. It grates on me because the correct pronunciation is so beautiful, "Ven-tur-a." I've pointed out to people to try annunciating the full Spanish name, "San Buenaventura". Nowhere in there do you hear a CH sound.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:34 AM

430 posts, read 283,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
I do hear "Ven-chura," but mostly from people outside of the area. It grates on me because the correct pronunciation is so beautiful, "Ven-tur-a." I've pointed out to people to try annunciating the full Spanish name, "San Buenaventura". Nowhere in there do you hear a CH sound.
Amen! Born in Ventura in 1951. Growing up, Venchura is something I only heard occasionally from relatives who lived far away. I still love to hear people trying to pronounce Camarillo, but how about Ojai or Matilja? That is always a kick. With many things here pronounced somewhat closer to the true language, I have often wondered why everyone refers to Isla Vista as eye-la vista, with neither word correctly pronounced. Years ago I was in a Southern Arizona town that had a community with that same name. When I referred to it the way I had always heard it, I was met with belly laughs. I was corrected and told that it is pronounced Eesla Veesta. That would agree with a couple of years of Spanish classes I took, but I have never heard anyone here pronounce it that way. I also spent some time in Central Texas...don't get me started on the way things were pronounced there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County