Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 01:00 PM

29,554 posts, read 22,904,170 times

Advertisements

Surely the anti-vegans will automatically pounce on this study to 'prove' a vegan diet is unhealthy. But no worries, this was simply an observational study of old data, and vegans and vegetarians were lumped together.

Let this is also be a friendly reminder to ensure you have adequate intake of vitamin B12 and choline in particular. Both are essential for red blood cells and processing of LDL. There are plant based foods that have good sources of choline such as peanuts, broccoli, tofu, soy milk.

https://time.com/5669628/vegetarians...-stroke-study/

Quote:
Vegetarians and vegans are likely to be concerned by the results of a new study with a surprising finding: those following meat-free diets, which are typically associated with better cardiovascular health, may actually have a higher risk of stroke than those who eat meat.

But it’s too soon to run out and order a steak. The paper, published in the BMJ, found only a small increase in the risk of stroke, while confirming findings in other studies that vegetarians and vegans may have a lower risk of heart disease than meat-eaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 05:55 PM

89,019 posts, read 85,546,257 times
I never in my life had high cholesterol until I became a vegetarian. It went over 200 in the first six months.

I was eating too much cheese and other dairy, especially ice cream.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:44 PM

29,554 posts, read 22,904,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I never in my life had high cholesterol until I became a vegetarian. It went over 200 in the first six months.

One of the interesting bits of info I learned from this study was from watching a few vegans online (Vegan Gains, etc.).

They made a great point that vegetarians face a double whammy with their diets. Vegetarians don't eat meat, so their levels of uric acid should trend on the low side. Vegetarians also eat plenty of dairy including milk, and that also lowers uric acid. Low levels of uric acid could be just as bad as too high, and low levels in some studies were associated with impairment of cognitive function. That could be one mechanism of stroke which is why vegetarians might have had a higher risk of stroke compared to meat eaters.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:29 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,015,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Cheese and dairy are not vegetarian.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
One of the interesting bits of info I learned from this study was from watching a few vegans online (Vegan Gains, etc.).

.... Vegetarians also eat plenty of dairy including milk, and that also lowers uric acid. ...

Those people are not vegetarians.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:15 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,361,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
Cheese and dairy are not vegetarian.
Yes they are. Vegetarians eat dairy. (cheese is dairy)

Old 02-03-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Yes they are. Vegetarians eat dairy. (cheese is dairy)
I know cheese is dairy but it is also an animal product, which I thought vegetarians shunned.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:54 PM

11,181 posts, read 16,094,455 times
Quote:
I know cheese is dairy but it is also an animal product, which I thought vegetarians shunned.
No, vegetarians don't eat meat, but they don't shun all animal products.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think the difference was between vegetarians and vegans?

Old 02-03-2020, 08:44 PM

2,458 posts, read 1,728,406 times
Kinda off topic. I was getting a full heart check up today and was told how the keto diet is very bad for your heart.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:56 PM

11,670 posts, read 12,806,979 times
Quote:
Those people are not vegetarians.
Vegetarians eat dairy and eggs. Vegans only eat plant-based food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food