Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 02:34 PM

1,267 posts, read 672,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
While it is true that there is a lot of vegan junk food out there, to say that the typical vegan diet is full of just those things isn't really accurate, IMO. Yes, there are a lot of "junk food vegans" that eat that stuff, but there are also a lot of (and I would say likely more) vegans who are not eating that stuff and eating plants, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds as their primary foods. Processed vegan food is not marketed to vegans as that is not the target audience. I shop from the outer section of the store...kind of. I start in the produce section, then skip to the areas that have rice and beans/legumes, and I also buy frozen fruits and veggies as well, and a few staples like spices, veggie broth, nutritional yeast, etc. I skip entirely the bakery, butcher counter, and dairy section, UNLESS I am picking up some soy milk, but that's not every week.

I definitely agree with eat to live rather than live to eat. It's a concept that many Americans don't grasp, unfortunately.
Elle, my post was in no way intended to offend anyone, if I offended you I am sorry. My intent was to show that by merely being vegan does not necessarily equate with being healthy. It's a hard point to make without coming across as offensive. I believe many people intentionally make food choices to be healthy only to find that their choices aren't always in their best interest as far as health. Again, it's not my place to judge, but I just see so many people around me, including family, are trying to eat better but yet choose convience vegan items as their way to be healthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 02:36 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,102,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
I know cheese is dairy but it is also an animal product, which I thought vegetarians shunned.
You're thinking of vegans.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:41 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,039,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
You're thinking of vegans.
Thank you for pointing that out to him. We've all been waiting for days and days for someone to mention that to him. I'm extremely surprised that it took so long for that information to be posted. I can't believe that no one explained the difference between vegetarians and vegans before you showed up this afternoon.

Oh wait....

Old 02-05-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Thank you for pointing that out to him. We've all been waiting for days and days for someone to mention that to him. I'm extremely surprised that it took so long for that information to be posted. I can't believe that no one explained the difference between vegetarians and vegans before you showed up this afternoon.

Oh wait....
You know what we vegetarians and vegans need more of? Petty in-fighting. You're doing a masterful job. Keep up the great work. Maybe next we can be sure to fight our way into re-electing Trump.

Miserable people being miserable people. Good luck with all that, brother.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:17 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,039,136 times
^^^^
Clearly you didn't understand what I wrote and why I wrote it. It had absolutely nothing to do with vegans, vegetarians, or "in-fighting."

You want to try reading it again, and then stop and try to ascertain what it is I was saying. I would say that it really shouldn't be that difficult; but then again, here we are.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
^^^^
Clearly you didn't understand what I wrote and why I wrote it. It had absolutely nothing to do with vegans, vegetarians, or "in-fighting."

You want to try reading it again, and then stop and try to ascertain what it is I was saying. I would say that it really shouldn't be that difficult; but then again, here we are.
No, I understood you completely (which is probably why 4 people up-voted my comment). Based on your reply to me, it is obvious what type of person you are. You're the type of person who, regardless of ideology, has a holier-than-thou, snarky attitude. No matter what philosophies and similarities anyone shares with you, you're going to make any movement look bad because you have a propensity toward petty argumentativeness. Do you understand what I meant by in-fighting now? If not, read your comments.

And here you are not understanding why I replied with what I did. Don't be so obtuse next time (or the time before that... or your next reply because we all know you're about to reply again. You can't wait to do it because that's who you are. You need to feed that desire to argue. Go ahead, I'll let you have the last word just so you can sleep tonight, brother.)

P.S. Google how to properly use a semi-colon; I would say it shouldn't be that difficult, but then again, here we are.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:25 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,309,921 times
Speaking of infighting...

Old 02-06-2020, 07:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Surely the anti-vegans will automatically pounce on this study to 'prove' a vegan diet is unhealthy. But no worries, this was simply an observational study of old data, and vegans and vegetarians were lumped together.

Let this is also be a friendly reminder to ensure you have adequate intake of vitamin B12 and choline in particular. Both are essential for red blood cells and processing of LDL. There are plant based foods that have good sources of choline such as peanuts, broccoli, tofu, soy milk.

https://time.com/5669628/vegetarians...-stroke-study/
Not that I might agree or disagree with study, but I really pay little attention to some of these studies. Just because 2 or even 2 studies say something does not make it 100% right. I do sometimes wonder about vegans more than vegetarians but I am no expert.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:22 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,328,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Every vegan meal is an animal saved in my book....
Just on a philosophical note:hope that you realize that if everyone stops eating beef,pork, lamb, etc- those animals would not be bred and won’t be alive at all.
So if that your motivation - to eliminate pigs, sheep, cattle...
Unless you make cows “sacred” as they did in some parts of India...and it is unsustainable...

Old 02-06-2020, 08:27 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,309,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Just on a philosophical note:hope that you realize that if everyone stops eating beef,pork, lamb, etc- those animals would not be bred and won’t be alive at all.
So if that your motivation - to eliminate pigs, sheep, cattle...
Unless you make cows “sacred” as they did in some parts of India...and it is unsustainable...
You are correct. Those animals have been bred by humans pretty much strictly for consumption, so they would eventually go extinct other than those who are living on sanctuaries and allowed to live out their natural lifespans and reproduce at a natural, much lower, rate than is forced upon them now. I don't see the issue with that, really. Which sounds more appealing? To be forceably bred just to be killed when they are just a few months old to be eaten, or not born at all? The former isn't really a life is it? I especially think of the broiler chickens who have been so modified that they grow so rapidly that they can't even stand up, and are killed after they are weeks old. Their life is spent in filthy conditions, basically crippled. Yeah, I would be in favor of not breeding any more of those poor creatures. if I were one of those chickens, to not be born at all sounds much better, honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food