Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 05:38 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,176,455 times

Advertisements

And let me guess, most everyone who's defending this law would scream "government overreach!!!" if MS had instead passed a law requiring disclosure of GMO ingredients. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 05:42 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,468,690 times
Wow, such an overwhelming display of intolerance in this thread. Each of you who decided to be judgemental in one way or another, I guarantee you live in a glass house. You might want to be careful tossing stones.

Dumb law? Yeah, but so are about 99% of them. For instance, in California, Women may not drive in a house coat. Want to try New York, A person may not walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his/her pocket. If there's one thing that defines the US, it's dumb laws.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,318,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Mississippi has one of the highest rates of obesity in the USA. It recently ranked #2 according to a report in 2017 (doubt much has changed in two years). It's not like they're experts on healthy eating.

https://www.stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/
Yep. Just highlights how many knuckle dragging idiots live in that state.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:49 PM

29,544 posts, read 22,866,684 times
It's about as stupid as the milk industry whining about plant based milks using the word 'milk.'

Just goes to show how desperate some of these people are.

And ultimately, alternative plant based meats are not, I repeat, NOT about 'healthy' alternatives. These products are about REDUCING animal consumption. In fact, the biggest consumers of these products are, surprise surprise, meat eaters. That's right, meat eaters. Many meat eaters have embraced products like Impossible and Beyond because they are looking to reduce eating red meat for a variety of reasons. In fact, the CEO of Beyond Burger himself has mentioned along the lines that his products were marketed towards meat eaters as there simply aren't enough vegans/vegetarians to make Beyond profitable.

But no one really cares what people call them, they will still continue to sell well despite the misinformation being spread by the anti-vegan crowd.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:33 AM

1,198 posts, read 671,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's about as stupid as the milk industry whining about plant based milks using the word 'milk.'

Just goes to show how desperate some of these people are.

And ultimately, alternative plant based meats are not, I repeat, NOT about 'healthy' alternatives. These products are about REDUCING animal consumption. In fact, the biggest consumers of these products are, surprise surprise, meat eaters. That's right, meat eaters. Many meat eaters have embraced products like Impossible and Beyond because they are looking to reduce eating red meat for a variety of reasons. In fact, the CEO of Beyond Burger himself has mentioned along the lines that his products were marketed towards meat eaters as there simply aren't enough vegans/vegetarians to make Beyond profitable.

But no one really cares what people call them, they will still continue to sell well despite the misinformation being spread by the anti-vegan crowd.
Yes, and ironically, a LOT of the people who consume plant based milks, especially almond milk, are also meat eaters and more specifically tend to be low carb eaters as almond milk for example is lower carb than dairy milk. Paleo eaters also tend to drink almond milk since they eschew dairy. And people with allergies opt for plant milks. So the plant based options out there tend to attract as many if not more omnis as vegans.

None of this is new. Just a few years ago was the big lawsuit fiasco with Hampton Creek using the word "mayo" in their eggless vegan mayonnaise and being sued by Unilever, the makers of Hellman's (which ironically now offers a vegan mayo lol). My husband is a meat and potatoes guy, but he loved Just Mayo way more than Hellman's or other egg based mayo. Sadly I can not find Hampton Creek mayo products anywhere on the shelves locally anymore. I can't stand Hellman's or Miracle whip, so I am still finding alternatives on the market and making my own cashew or almond based mayo. I'm not vegan (I am pescetarian) but I do drink exclusively plant milks. Every once in a great while I buy veggie burgers, but more commonly make my own veggie burgers as they are healthier. But I appreciate that we have all these options now.

I really haven't seen any deception as far as plant based foods go. There is always something on the label that indicates it's plant based and one can always scan the ingredients. I HAVE however seen deception on Hellman's products. I try to keep soy intake low due to thyroid issues, and though I am not a fan of Hellman's, one day I saw they had a canola oil based mayo. Curious, I scanned the ingredients and did not see any soy listed in it. i did not buy the product but I went home and googled this mayo, and deep in the FAQ section of their website, Unilever mentioned that their canola mayo, which advertises "natural flavors" on the label of the jar, does indeed mean soy. If one has an allergy to soy, you wouldn't know this by glancing at the label on the jar. you'd have to check the website to find out. To me that is bordering on criminal. Yet no one says anything about that.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:31 AM

5,358 posts, read 3,258,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Wow, such an overwhelming display of intolerance in this thread. Each of you who decided to be judgemental in one way or another, I guarantee you live in a glass house. You might want to be careful tossing stones.

Dumb law? Yeah, but so are about 99% of them. For instance, in California, Women may not drive in a house coat. Want to try New York, A person may not walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his/her pocket. If there's one thing that defines the US, it's dumb laws.
I'm not sure it's intolerance so much as pointing out the hypocrisy. When you have a party who explicitly runs on "smaller government" and "less regulation" proposing bigger government and more regulation - that's something to talk about.

At the end of the day if your constituents are so poorly educated that, after reading an ingredients list, still cannot determine if something is meat of plant based, then your focus should be on education not regulation.

And I'm sorry, just because "99% of them" are dumb is no reason to enact more dumb laws. Laws stay on the books until repealed through the legislative process. If the elected officials are spending time on taxing sugary beverages or labeling plant based burgers, then they're not using that time cleaning up their books.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:04 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,083,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Real Veggies like myself don't eat this stuff....(been veggie for 49 years!).....
Excuse me?! Real veggies, like yourself? What the you-know-what gives you the right to define who or what is a "real" vegan or vegetarian? Sure, processed fake meat products are not the healthiest things to eat, and if you're a dietary vegan or vegetarian, then you probably don't want to eat them. But if someone has chosen to be a "veggie" (to use your term) for environmental concerns, or to not participate in or promote an industry that is involved in animal cruelty, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating a product that looks or tastes like meat, but doesn't involve the torture or killing of animals.

Even if you believe that doing so disqualifies them from being a "real veggie."

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If you are having some fun, try this - grab morningstar (or other) hot dogs. Cook them up (not too much.....maybe a light pan fry), but them in a bun and smother with your favorite stuff.

No way you can tell them from a regular hot dog.
Let's not get carried away now. I've been eating fake meat products since the 1970s, back when our choices were Loma Linda and canned Worthington products. They didn't taste like real hot dogs then, and the modern Morningstar Farms products wouldn't confuse anyone now into thinking they were eating a real hot dog. Perhaps that will change if or when Impossible Foods comes up with a hot dog that is similar to their Impossible burger.

And on a related matter, there's no point in engaging the butcher or other meat eaters who like to troll this board. You're not going to change their mind, and they are certainly not interested in learning about or even in engaging in a genuine conversation pertaining to any aspect of veganism or vegetarianism.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:21 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,351,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Excuse me?! Real veggies, like yourself? What the you-know-what gives you the right to define who or what is a "real" vegan or vegetarian? Sure, processed fake meat products are not the healthiest things to eat, and if you're a dietary vegan or vegetarian, then you probably don't want to eat them. But if someone has chosen to be a "veggie" (to use your term) for environmental concerns, or to not participate in or promote an industry that is involved in animal cruelty, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating a product that looks or tastes like meat, but doesn't involve the torture or killing of animals.

Let's not get carried away now. I've been eating fake meat products since the 1970s, back when our choices were Loma Linda and canned Worthington products. They didn't taste like real hot dogs then, and the modern Morningstar Farms products wouldn't confuse anyone now into thinking they were eating a real hot dog. Perhaps that will change if or when Impossible Foods comes up with a hot dog that is similar to their Impossible burger.

And on a related matter, there's no point in engaging the butcher or other meat eaters who like to troll this board. You're not going to change their mind, and they are certainly not interested in learning about or even in engaging in a genuine conversation pertaining to any aspect of veganism or vegetarianism.
Agree on the "real veggie" part. I have been eating faux meats since the 80s, in a small midwestern town, where I had to drive to a larger town to buy Lightlife and Morningstar Farms. I still enjoy faux meat now and then, and they options keep getting better (Morningstar Farms have more and more vegan stuff every day, their corn dogs and ground are now vegan!) I remember some Worthington stuff that was pretty good, specifically the steaklets, which I have not been able to find in years.

Honestly, many vegans don't view vegetarians any differently than meat eaters, so some would argue only a vegan (for animals or for health) is a "real veggie".

So, no matter what veggie burgers are called, lots of people will still enjoy them

Old 07-09-2019, 11:04 AM

68,379 posts, read 54,626,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Some people like the real thing than some fake garbage named the same way.

And some folks can actually read and understand labels.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:35 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,176,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Thank you!! I can't stand gatekeepers. I for one am all for the availability and enjoyment of faux meat/milk products, because it makes it easier for people to gravitate towards a more plant-based lifestyle, reducing the suffering of animals and the strain on the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food