Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 08:24 AM

1,274 posts, read 684,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not to my knowledge they haven't stopped calling them just what they are Maybe I have missed this somewhere?
Nita, from what I read recently, the law is on the books, but is yet to be enforced. The court battles have begun.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/law...abels-arkansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 02:06 PM

1,274 posts, read 684,094 times
This Federal court battle in Arkansas over labeling restrictions banning the meatless meat companies from using the words, burger, roast, sausage and meat on their packaging. One would think Tyson, the biggest meat producer in the U.S. based in Arkansas, is behind this law.
It gets a little tricky though, as Tyson either recently released or is very soon to release a new product line, called Raised and Rooted, and their first product is a faux chicken meat product called, Nuggets made with Plants. The timing is ironic. And no sign of Tyson is on the label. A bit of disassociation? At least until this legal battle's outcome is determined one would guess.
Also worth noting, the final Federal court decision on this case could have a ripple effect nationwide, as other states have laws similar to this one, such as in Wisconsin "America's dairyland", trying to limit the usage of the word "milk" on the labeling in that state.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:25 PM

923 posts, read 530,490 times
I can see why they don't want certain labels put on products. Someone sent to get milk for someone who has a nut allergy and they get almond milk. Problem. Someone sent to get a burger and they get a beef burger for someone who is veg/veg. For most, milk is from a cow. Yes there are different "milks" but in general if someone says milk, you think cow's milk. Same with a burger. Until it is common to ask for specific types of "milk" or "burger", then I completely understand why there are regulations.

Most here understand one from another, but there are many who can easily get confused. Same with beyond meat or impossible burger, if your not informed what would you think? McD's, BK, both have sold beef burgers for decades, why would some think differently. BTW, not everyone has internet and/or tv service.
Just my thoughts.
H&K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food