Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 08:24 PM

19,860 posts, read 12,142,218 times

Advertisements

It’s a ridiculous law. That said, the thread title is a lie as the burgers are not banned, just the term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 08:30 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,794,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Some of them are just as bad (Beyond Burgers, I'm looking at you...) but the brand my husband and I buy are made only of black beans, quinoa, spinach, and hemp seeds. No saturated fat or cholesterol, low sodium.
What? Tell me what ingredients you don't like in a Beyond Burger.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:42 PM

19,860 posts, read 12,142,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Some of them are just as bad (Beyond Burgers, I'm looking at you...) but the brand my husband and I buy are made only of black beans, quinoa, spinach, and hemp seeds. No saturated fat or cholesterol, low sodium.

Yikes! These look like they would be disgusting. I could probably eat the ones you and your husband buy as I like the ingredients separately but when I tried them years ago I didn’t like them at the time.

https://www.beyondmeat.com/products/the-beyond-burger/

Old 07-07-2019, 09:13 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,889,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We already know that many of these places do silly things because they are in opposite world and backwards day...all the time! But this one has to take the cake!

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...-meatless-meat

"This week, a new law went into effect in Mississippi. The state now bans plant-based meat providers from using labels like “veggie burger” or “vegan hot dog” on their products. Such labels are potentially punishable with jail time. Words like “burger” and “hot dog” would be permitted only for products from slaughtered livestock. Proponents claim the law is necessary to avoid confusing consumers — but given that the phrase “veggie burger” hasn’t been especially confusing for consumers this whole time, it certainly seems more like an effort to keep alternatives to meat away from shoppers."

As one of the unhealthiest states in the USA - and the most Obese - and with the most heart disease and mortality problems from Diet...such a move is the complete opposite of logic and reason!

There is ZERO evidence that consumers are confused.......I certainly have never been.
The word "veggie" or "vegan" signals that it's a non-meat product (and that is also always stated explicitly on the label). I don't know anyone, whether a carnivore or a non-carnivore, who doesn't understand what those terms mean. They are both pretty ubiquitous these days.

Who are these confused people? And what exactly are they confused about?

Maybe you have to be an Mississippian to understand.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:32 PM

5,187 posts, read 3,116,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
What? Tell me what ingredients you don't like in a Beyond Burger.
Out of curiosity, my wife and I tried Beyond “meat” for the first time last week. Cooked them in a pan to the recommended temperature. They browned nicely, and the patties looked like a beef burger.

Taste? To me it was akin to smokey corn flakes, not unpleasant, but it’s certainly not going to fool anyone. I personally don’t like that the Beyond Meat burger has a lot of salt right out of the package — 320 mg. Probably in line with other veggie patties, but more salt than I care to consume from such a small portion.

IMO the MS law is just trying to keep hype and confusion out of the advertising and product descriptions that consumers face as more of these alternative products come to market.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:16 AM

19,971 posts, read 30,274,272 times
if you want to promote a plant based diet...then do so....

call them pea patties or plant patties..

it is not burger it is not sausage

food is more and more regulated …. I cant put an organic sticker on an all natural item that's not organic....
can I put a locally grown sticker on a veggie that was grown 50,100, 300, 500 miles away ???????

can I put a "farm-raised" sticker on vegetables that were grown 1500 miles away at a massive farm??

gmo labelling has been a debate for decades..

also consider food allergies.... some schools have outlawed any and all peanut butter/nuts....

what if I were allergic to peas or soy?? and in big bold letters were sausage or bacon or hot dog...

promote what the item actually is....not the fake replacement that you despise in the first place..

pea patties soy patties.... this is what they are..and its this you want to promote....so promote it...
I get that the real names ...are now with fake ingredients are offering alternatives/replacement...but look long term
because you use the same name....most people will compare against what they already know....and from a vegans perspective ...maybe they aren't bad....but the taste tests we did in the stores......did not favor the beyond burger..and yes....the motive isn't just taste....

again....promote what it actually is not why its a fake...… pea patties......then if its halfway decent.....most wont compare to the real thing.....and like it better

Old 07-08-2019, 07:49 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Some people like the real thing than some fake garbage named the same way.
So, by your "logic", eating something made from the ground up extras, mechanically separated meat, pink slime, meat slurry of a slaughtered animal is good, but eating something made from a plant is garbage?

Old 07-08-2019, 07:52 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
The meat industry is desperate, that's all. They see how veggie burgers and the like are taking over. The dairy industry tried the same thing, trying to stop names like soy milk or almond milk. Ridiculous.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:12 AM

5,349 posts, read 3,231,902 times
Ahh the party of "smaller government" strikes again.

I'd love to hear some interviews of people who were legitimately "confused".

Last edited by BoSox 15; 07-08-2019 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 08:12 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,702,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Healthier? I submit that vegan crap is over processed and full of preservatives.
You are somewhat correct - but that's besides the point. No doubt meat is full of all kinds of pathogens and hormones and such.....and is provably unhealthier (at least the meat they eat in MS is)....

The folks down there don't eat 1 oz. of Kobe Beef on the side with their full plate of Broccoli.

My cuz, the exact age as I, loved to eat his meat. He died 18 months ago of advanced colon cancer. The healthy eaters in my family will probably live to late 80's (Bob died at 64).

In any case, the idea that the word "dog" or "meat" is a big problem in MS (given all the REAL problems they have) is laughable.

Are they going to ban "nut meats"?

One of the definitions of "meat"

"1.2 North American - The edible part of fruits, nuts, or eggs."

I guess MS doesn't subscribe to the Oxford Dictionary. This will, of course, be shot down eventually...but it, like the pot thing and so many other issues, shows the backwards and authoritarian nature of "big government" in these places that state they love "freedom"....but don't (IMHO) given their actions.

I wonder if the "real" hot dogs are going to be regulated as per the definition of that word

"A domesticated carnivorous mammal that typically has a long snout, an acute sense of smell, non-retractable claws, and a barking, howling, or whining voice."

We are gonna have to change the ingredients of hot dogs to a more canine bent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food