Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:26 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,795,897 times

Advertisements

I gave myself a minor mental challenge last night by trying to list all the foods people are quite used to eating that also happen to contain no animal products. There are quite a few on my list that you might use an animal product in -- say if you were making a pie crust and the only shortening you had on hand was lard -- but do not have to, in order to make it work. Making two columns on an 8.5 x 11" sheet of writing paper, I almost covered both sides of one page. But I know there must be more I can't think of. (I'm not exactly one of the great chefs of Europe.) Can anyone contribute more items to this list?

These are the ones I could remember off the top of my head:

Any sort of berry pie
Apple butter
Apple dumplings
Apple-nut salad
Apple pie
Applesauce
Bagels and their offspring
Baked apples
Baked beans
Baked pears
Baked potato
Beans 'n' rice
Bean burritos, extra salsa, hold the cheese
Beetroot salad
Biscuits
Blueberry muffins
Borscht
Braised celery
Bread
Bubble-and-squeak
Cabbage-apple slaw
Cabbage soup
Cabbage varenyky
Celery sticks stuffed with peanut butter
Chili
Chips and salsa
Chutneys
Colcannon
Coconut rice
Cornbread
Corn chowder
Cracker-crumbed parsnips
Cranberry-orange relish
Crudités
Dessert pizza
Fried cornmeal mush
Fritters of all kinds
Fruit soup
Garbanzo-bean salad
Garlic bread
Gazpacho
Glazed onions
Glazed root vegetables
Green beans almondine
Greens
Grits
Guacamole
Halushky
Hummus
Knishes
Lemon rice pilaf
Lentil soup
Mashed potatoes, old-school style
Mince pie
Oatmeal
Oatmeal cookies
Old-school onion soup
Orange beets
Oven fries
Parsnip cakes
Pasta marinara
Peach cobbler
Peanut stew
Pickles, except, you know, gross-me-out pickled pigs' feet and those horrible pink eggs
Polenta
Popcorn
Potato gallette (aka Potatoes Anna)
Potato-onion pierogi
Risi bisi
Roasted pumpkin seeds
Rotkohl
Sesame carrots
Succotash
Sweet potato casserole
Stuffed peppers
Tabbouleh
Tamale pie
Tomato soup
Turnip mash
Vegetable soup
Vegetable sushi
Vegetables teriyaki
Winter squash, baked and stuffed
Winter vegetable stew

Last edited by Cliffie; 12-31-2015 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 02:23 PM

88,853 posts, read 85,259,076 times
Mashed potatoes are normally made with milk and butter, as is corn chowder. You can adapt vegan versions, of course.

Old-school onion soup is made with beef stock. Muffins usually contain eggs.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:45 PM

4,076 posts, read 2,162,553 times
Anything you listed above CAN be veganized---but many of what you listed are made with animal products in restaurants and in most homes. Tomato soup usually has milk or cream in it. Garlic bread is usually made with butter. Most people don't make vegan chili. Many people use pork products in baked beans. Put milk in their oatmeal. Popcorn popped with real butter.

I'm a vegan and I cook and eat well. Not saying there aren't amazing dishes that are vegan---there are so many blogs that have great food, including stuff that usually involves animals/products. But people think they have to have animal products for taste and nutrition. Sadly, even our grocery store chain is putting cheese into their marinara suace (another reason I make my own!).

Old 12-31-2015, 03:11 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,795,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mashed potatoes are normally made with milk and butter, as is corn chowder. You can adapt vegan versions, of course.

Old-school onion soup is made with beef stock. Muffins usually contain eggs.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, 801. Corn chowder is traditionally made with potato starch, corn, onions and red-pepper rings in my part of the world.

FRENCH onion soup is made with beef stock. And cheese on top. The oldest form of onion soup is made with onions, sliced skin and all, and water.

I specifically said at the head of the OP that I was including foods that did not need to be made with animal products to work. Did you miss that part?

Old 12-31-2015, 03:12 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,978,483 times
That's a good list.

I'll submit a classic pizza marinara. Pizza does not require cheese to be good, despite what some might think!

Old 12-31-2015, 03:20 PM

42,007 posts, read 75,416,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, 801. Corn chowder is traditionally made with potato starch, corn, onions and red-pepper rings in my part of the world.
Chowder by definition includes milk or cream. Of course, potato starch or ground up corn or any number of thickeners can be used as a substitute, but the end product is not chowder.

Not sure what your point is. There are plenty of dishes out there that are vegan. To list them all would short out City-Data's server.

Oh, and oatmeal cookies have eggs in them.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:26 PM

4,076 posts, read 2,162,553 times
Quote:

FRENCH onion soup is made with beef stock. And cheese on top. The oldest form of onion soup is made with onions, sliced skin and all, and water.

I specifically said at the head of the OP that I was including foods that did not need to be made with animal products to work. Did you miss that part?
But you said the list was "all the foods people are quite used to eating that also happen to contain no animal products." Well, I think the majority of chili that's eaten by non-vegans does have meat in it. The majority of onion soup has beef stock. I don't disagree that all the foods you listed can be made vegan. But that people are quite used to eating all those foods that "happen" to contain no animal products? Nope. Animal products are typically used, both because people think they need the animal products for flavor and nutrition, and because there are subsidies for including stuff like cheese in products.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:22 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,456,443 times
A lot of your list are items and recipes that traditionally DO contain some animal products, but can be veganized. There is no reason for you to get snippy about it.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:30 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,660,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Chowder by definition includes milk or cream. Of course, potato starch or ground up corn or any number of thickeners can be used as a substitute, but the end product is not chowder.

Not sure what your point is. There are plenty of dishes out there that are vegan. To list them all would short out City-Data's server.

Oh, and oatmeal cookies have eggs in them.
Have you heard of almond milk? Coconut milk? Chowder does not need to have cow secretions in order to be good and creamy.

The best oatmeal cookies I have ever had were vegan.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:01 AM

88,853 posts, read 85,259,076 times
Quote:

Well no, you didn't exactly say that. I was going by your first sentence and took it as a list of foods that are normally vegan by default. In most people's non-vegan worlds, corn chowder is made with milk products, not the vegan versions. And in all my life the only onion soup I ever encountered that did not have a meat-broth base was the vegan French onion soup I had at a restaurant this past Tuesday!

But if your true intent was a list of foods that can easily be made vegan OR are by default, it's a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food