Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2023, 10:05 AM

5 posts, read 4,225 times

Advertisements

We're looking to add an attached three car garage with an unfinished bonus room to our home in Ridgefield. Without even coming out to the property, three contractors have told me it'll be at least $160k, $175k, and $260k, in that order. There's nothing particularly difficult or unusual about the location - no trees would have to be removed, buildings demolished, etc.

I thought a garage alone would be in the $60-80k range, plus the cost of the bonus room. Are my expectations way off?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 08:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoleInvictus View Post
We're looking to add an attached three car garage with an unfinished bonus room to our home in Ridgefield. ...

I thought a garage alone would be in the $60-80k range, plus the cost of the bonus room. Are my expectations way off?
What is the physical size? (That's kinda important...)

No... builders are not hungry enough, yet... When they have to dig up jobs to meet payroll things should change a little. (As the kid of a contractor I missed plenty of meals so my parents could meet payroll, our food could wait).

So... Get out the hammer and shovel and DIY. I've always had to do my own building when I couldn't digest the complaining contractors. (They would never build me a basement in PNW, so I had to do that anyway, might as well do it all). I was always working 2+ jobs + homeschooling and running a farm. so building houses took a while in my free time (usually a year, I'm pretty slow at bulding). It's not rocket science, and hopefully you have friends who can share in the fun. When we were homeschooling (Camas Washougal) we all shared in building (8) homes for each other. Our costs were ~30% of contractor bid. Today the spread is closer to 20% as I just helped a friend finish a 8,000sf home & shop with 3000sf living space for $68/ sf in NE Dallas area (where contractors are much cheaper). He subbed out a lot, but has a lot of expensive and complicated features (22' ceilings, interior stone, and imported hand milled woodwork and floors and lots of stairways (5)).

A std garage + living space should be able to complete in PNW for $60 - $80 / sf. Keep your eyes open for deals on mis-ordered doors / windows / cabinets / counters. I was able to snatch a $800+ 12'x12' insulated shop door from HD for <$200 (Wednesday liquidation sale of excess stock). I usually get my windows for under $100 at Dealers or Habitat Restore (new stock donated by manf, CC inspection will want to see "New" labels with U-rating on windows). There are several 'new building supply' liquidators in Oregon. I design my structures around available materials.

Good luck and have fun.
If WFH, this would be very easy to manage yourself. I always worked (wage job) on night shift so I was free during the daylight. Allows a lot of activities, because every 'day', is a day-off!

Old 02-17-2023, 11:58 AM

472 posts, read 525,989 times
Quote:
We're looking to add an attached three car garage with an unfinished bonus room to our home in Ridgefield. Without even coming out to the property, three contractors have told me it'll be at least $160k, $175k, and $260k, in that order. There's nothing particularly difficult or unusual about the location - no trees would have to be removed, buildings demolished, etc.

I agree with Stelth, builders still have lots of work. We are currently having a 40'x 60' barn/shop built, no power, no concrete, no doors or windows, just poles and sheet metal $60K. A huge problem right now is the county and getting permits, "Work from home" is making an already difficult agency worse.

We hired a person to do the permits back in April, they were finally approved in September. We are being told by everyone (professional friends)that Clark County is one of the most difficult counties to build in (lots of red tape), we are starting to believe it. So your problem might be contractors are taking work in other areas outside of CC where its easier to get projects done?

We are going to "remodel" our house (less than 2000sqft) next year, basically tear down everything but the garage, we plan to submit requests for permits soon as we don't expect approval for 6-12 months. If you can, wait. Prices will eventually come down, and people will have to go back to the office.

If your builder does not have a permitting person I recommend you find one, a person that knows our local processes is worth their weight in gold and can save you a lot of frustration. Cost is $900-$2000K depending on the size of your project. DM me if you need a name.

Old 02-18-2023, 11:15 AM

5 posts, read 4,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
What is the physical size? (That's kinda important...)

Approximately 22 x 32, with an equivalent bonus room up top, so around 1400 square feet. My latest estimate was $210K for bare bones - not even dry wall! My whole damn house isn't even worth $210k!

I'd love to dig in and do it myself but I'm disabled, so there goes that. We're in no big rush, so I guess we'll hang out and see if the market tanks in the next couple of years. Geez, that's morbid to say.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:31 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Approximately 22 x 32, with an equivalent bonus room up top, so around 1400 square feet. My latest estimate was $210K for bare bones - not even dry wall! My whole damn house isn't even worth $210k!

I'd love to dig in and do it myself but I'm disabled, so there goes that. We're in no big rush, so I guess we'll hang out and see if the market tanks in the next couple of years. Geez, that's morbid to say.
That's insane and not changing any time soon. You seriously need to consider prefab garages which are way less expensive and get most of what you're looking for. It's certainly a better alternative than paying over the value of your entire house! That's just nuts.

https://shedsunlimited.net/collectio...b-car-garages/

Derek

Old 02-19-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:

I'd love to dig in and do it myself but I'm disabled, so there goes that. ...
Sounds like you need an old fashioned "barn raising", or a few friends in Hockinson. (The Apostolic Church does that for each other, and a lot of regional builders attend there.). Our homeschool group (Clark county based) helped each other build several homes, great training for the kids. Last I heard the Vo-tech center had a building construction program, they might be of assistance or have referrals.

Or the kit or prefab panels....

Will you need an elevator installed to access second level? That can up your price by $100k, but C. County Offers ADA property tax and permit credits.

I think you have several unconventional options to explore.

(Don't wait around,. We may not be here!)
I'm enrolled in the <10yr exit plan. Reaching that is a big stretch.

Of course you need to pencil this out if you're leaving this behind for someone else...
#1. Do they want this space?
#2. How will they (or you) use it? (Future caregiver or apartment for rent income?)
#3. If home must be sold to settle your estate, will this additional structure add to price... Or subtract!
#4. How much use will you get out of it?
#5. Will you get it done before you croak? (Another mess for your heirs?)
#6. What does this do for the neighborhood? +/-

In many ways it could be great, but in the end... It may be easier and better to implement a different solution. Now's the time to figure that out. I've priced over 500 items for my imminent estate sale. (And have auctioneer and dumpster company identified.). Since I did 30+ yrs care for a disabled parent... I also have a completed set of paperwork and healthcare instructions and applications all prepared and signed.

One never knows IF the next moment will arrive.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-19-2023 at 03:34 PM..

Old 02-20-2023, 06:59 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
That's a pretty fancy garage, OP. $60K would probably get you a 1-car garage with some storage or shop space. Is there an option for a dirt floor with a cement foundation around the edges for the walls? Look at that design of Mt Surfer posted; if it were built by contractors, the windows alone would run you IDK...maybe between $10-$15K? Labor, etc. etc. A prefab sounds like a good way to go, potentially. Would there be plumbing involved, for the upstairs unit?

Old 02-20-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's a pretty fancy garage, OP. $60K would probably get you a 1-car garage with some storage or shop space. ... if it were built by contractors, the windows alone would run you IDK...maybe between $10-$15K? Labor, etc. etc. A prefab sounds like a good way to go, potentially. Would there be plumbing involved, for the upstairs unit?
Where do you gewt your numbers?

I bought windows this weekend (large picture windows). I still get them Brand new for <$100 a piece (Habitat Restore), but even conventional sources are not likely over $250 / garage sized window, and the labor for installing windows is very low (nail them in and caulk and tape the joints) <1 hr / window. $1000 - $1500 will easily cover window expense for a garage.

Old 02-21-2023, 12:15 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
That's insane and not changing any time soon. You seriously need to consider prefab garages which are way less expensive and get most of what you're looking for. It's certainly a better alternative than paying over the value of your entire house! That's just nuts.

https://shedsunlimited.net/collectio...b-car-garages/

Derek
Oh man, this is really affordable. To test, I went with a single story 3-car garage with an attached 20'x40' workshop and it was under $28K which is really reasonable (me thinks).

Old 02-21-2023, 01:03 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Oh man, this is really affordable. To test, I went with a single story 3-car garage with an attached 20'x40' workshop and it was under $28K which is really reasonable (me thinks).

TurcoLoco, this is just one example of a prefab company that specializes in garages. However, there is still a lot of work involved with figuring out the delivery logistics:
1. Cost to deliver based upon factory location - higher as you get further away.
2. Finding a prefab company as close to Vancouver as possible to reduce delivery.
3. Balancing out potential higher prefab costs of the structure from more local PNW companies (likely charge more) vs. costs to deliver. Need to find the sweet spot.

An example of this is when we went to buy a 'popular' new vehicle. It was selling for ~ $10k+ over list price anywhere on the west coast. There were a few exceptions and I found one in Seattle. But most others who wanted this vehicle ended up finding it in a more affordable state and had it shipped to their home. That was still cheaper than buying locally. My friend in Vancouver bought his in Colorado and had it shipped.

As with most things in the US where labor is involved, prices will vary greatly based upon state including supply and demand within it. That's where the research comes in finding the best prefab company with the highest quality and lowest cost delivered. I have a strong feeling this will vary wildly. Though it is still likely much more affordable than hiring a local contractor to build it right now in this market. They can basically charge whatever they want with so much business on the books vs. places like rural Mississippi where wages are lower as well. Even Idaho has lower wages right next door.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-21-2023 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area