Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 09:03 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
TurcoLoco, this is just one example of a prefab company that specializes in garages. However, there is still a lot of work involved with figuring out the delivery logistics:
1. Cost to deliver based upon factory location - higher as you get further away.
2. Finding a prefab company as close to Vancouver as possible to reduce delivery.
3. Balancing out potential higher prefab costs of the structure from more local PNW companies (likely charge more) vs. costs to deliver. Need to find the sweet spot.

An example of this is when we went to buy a 'popular' new vehicle. It was selling for ~ $10k+ over list price anywhere on the west coast. There were a few exceptions and I found one in Seattle. But most others who wanted this vehicle ended up finding it in a more affordable state and had it shipped to their home. That was still cheaper than buying locally. My friend in Vancouver bought his in Colorado and had it shipped.

As with most things in the US where labor is involved, prices will vary greatly based upon state including supply and demand within it. That's where the research comes in finding the best prefab company with the highest quality and lowest cost delivered. I have a strong feeling this will vary wildly. Though it is still likely much more affordable than hiring a local contractor to build it right now in this market. They can basically charge whatever they want with so much business on the books vs. places like rural Mississippi where wages are lower as well. Even Idaho has lower wages right next door.

Derek
Oh yeah, I imagine what you mentioned would come in to play when and if I got that route.
That may never be the case when I relocate and find a place that has a decent size (2-car+ garage).
Still, it is a great option to have just in case.

I am still pretty confident that the housing prices will continue to come down, some areas might not be as much as some others but all areas will be affected. When that happens, the housing projects might slow down or take a break which might affect the prefab garage business and related cost as well.

Only time will tell but I am glad I am not in a huge rush to buy a property just yet.

Still, thank you for sharing the link to inform me as I had no idea prefab garages were a thing!

PS. The one in the picture you attached were ridiculous (in a good way).
If I had something like that, I would live there and rent my actual house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 10:56 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Oh yeah, I imagine what you mentioned would come in to play when and if I got that route.
That may never be the case when I relocate and find a place that has a decent size (2-car+ garage).
Still, it is a great option to have just in case.

I am still pretty confident that the housing prices will continue to come down, some areas might not be as much as some others but all areas will be affected. When that happens, the housing projects might slow down or take a break which might affect the prefab garage business and related cost as well.

Only time will tell but I am glad I am not in a huge rush to buy a property just yet.

Still, thank you for sharing the link to inform me as I had no idea prefab garages were a thing!

PS. The one in the picture you attached were ridiculous (in a good way).
If I had something like that, I would live there and rent my actual house!
That sounds like a StealthRabbit move. It might even pay for itself then.

Derek

Old 02-22-2023, 10:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
There used to be a pre-fab builder in Goldendale, WA.

They would send a crew to Vancouver to erect the structure.
I had a similar crew come from Yakima (included in the price)

Old 02-23-2023, 09:58 AM

5 posts, read 4,237 times
Thanks for the advice, all! I'm not the wheelchair kind of disabled, more the "can't use power tools or swing a hammer without hurting myself" type. It's EDS, my tendons and ligaments are a wreck.

My mother and her boyfriend have offered to help and we'll attempt to recruit some friends, so I think it'll be done barn raising style. In the event we need some additional manpower for general labor, anyone have any suggestions for someone we could hire?

Old 02-23-2023, 10:09 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoleInvictus View Post
We're looking to add an attached three car garage with an unfinished bonus room to our home in Ridgefield. Without even coming out to the property, three contractors have told me it'll be at least $160k, $175k, and $260k, in that order. There's nothing particularly difficult or unusual about the location - no trees would have to be removed, buildings demolished, etc.

I thought a garage alone would be in the $60-80k range, plus the cost of the bonus room. Are my expectations way off?
An average 3-car garage is about 800 square feet and if you make it 2-story then you are talking about 1600 square feet of space.

At $200,000 you are talking about construction costs of $125/sqft. Which seems in line with current costs of construction and materials. The national average cost of construction today is about $150/sqft.

Pre-fab as Stealth suggests would be the way to save money but that won't work if you want it attached. If you want an attached garage connected to the house it will have to be custom-built to your space.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:02 PM

BTW, check with your insurance and permitting, as you may find a detached garage structure to be a quicker, cheaper, better solution. You can later add a breezeway / roofed connection. (Prefer to 'nearly connect, than to fully attached)

Old 02-23-2023, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
That sounds like a StealthRabbit move. It might even pay for itself then.

Derek
He is a sharp guy so, I 'd not be surprised!
But seriously, when I first saw that picture, I honestly thought it was a house so, I was a bit confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
BTW, check with your insurance and permitting, as you may find a detached garage structure to be a quicker, cheaper, better solution. You can later add a breezeway / roofed connection. (Prefer to 'nearly connect, than to fully attached)
Thanks, I was wondering about that and was going to ask.

I will definitely be going that route if the house I end up getting doesn't have a a big enough garage or, is in a really poor condition.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
...L

I will definitely be going that route if the house I end up getting doesn't have a a big enough garage or, is in a really poor condition.
A house with a big enough garage? Impossible
A friend has a 120'x240' garage with 22' eaves. That's getting almost big enough

I have a 40x60 + a double deck 24x36 (concrete floors + cars and shop equipment on each level) + tractor and dozer and wood sheds in WA home, and a 40x70 + (2) 24x30's at my Texas home. Not nearly enough garage space, but hold a lot of tools and toys for a couple great estate sales!

A good friend in Goldendale has a large L shaped shop with car lifts and overhead cranes that reach the entire L. + a grease pit. Nice touches.

The garage I'm designing for a Texas property is 2 levels with a lift and bridge to a building pad 30 ft higher.

I make apartments/ extra living spaces + RV hookups at each house (having done 30+ yrs of eldercare).... I may be my next client.

Do spend some time with planning department before settling on a path or structure. They're temporarily very keen on ADU. That will be short lived, so jump on any 'fast-track' / incentives. Do remember about the ADA credits. That might buy you some points and attention with planning department.

Old 02-25-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
A house with a big enough garage? Impossible
A friend has a 120'x240' garage with 22' eaves. That's getting almost big enough
Touche!

Quote:
I have a 40x60 + a double deck 24x36 (concrete floors + cars and shop equipment on each level) + tractor and dozer and wood sheds in WA home, and a 40x70 + (2) 24x30's at my Texas home. Not nearly enough garage space, but hold a lot of tools and toys for a couple great estate sales!

A good friend in Goldendale has a large L shaped shop with car lifts and overhead cranes that reach the entire L. + a grease pit. Nice touches.

The garage I'm designing for a Texas property is 2 levels with a lift and bridge to a building pad 30 ft higher.

I make apartments/ extra living spaces + RV hookups at each house (having done 30+ yrs of eldercare).... I may be my next client.

Do spend some time with planning department before settling on a path or structure. They're temporarily very keen on ADU. That will be short lived, so jump on any 'fast-track' / incentives. Do remember about the ADA credits. That might buy you some points and attention with planning department.
Even though I got very excited reading and imagining such a garage, I can't deny the fact that such a huge thing would be a costly overkill for me/my needs.

I can park my 'everyday' car in the driveway and use the garage for storing the bike(s) in one bay, the second would be for repairs and maintenance of any vehicle. Workspace would be for small projects of sorts and also serve as a computer bench for my side business. And some floor and wall space to stash the tools, maybe a MIG/TIG welder?

Backyard with fence for a Kangal (or two), a gazebo or an awning of some kind to create a sitting area in the backyard to watch the dog(s) while I sip my hot tea on rainy days....that is it!

Old 02-25-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
... I can't deny the fact that such a huge thing would be a costly overkill for me/my needs.

Backyard with fence for a Kangal (or two), a gazebo or an awning of some kind to create a sitting area in the backyard to watch the dog(s) while I sip my hot tea on rainy days....that is it!
1) You may need an indoor place to ride motorcycle (we've set up an 'observed trials' course inside this shop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WncxcFWoQ

2) You may want a heated / dry spot to watch dogs play (without the mud).

Beautiful 'Colorado' day today in SWWA... sunny, 24F, 30 mph wind, 2ft of snow on the car, 4 ft drifts in the driveway. Shop is dry (and chilly 33F). Woodstove is cookin' Headed out to run the tractor for a few hours. (if it will fire up)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area