Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:09 PM

40 posts, read 134,763 times

Advertisements

I was curious what are the pros/cons of each area? Is one neighboorhood louder than the other (airport noise)? I don't have children but would like either a stand-alone condo or a ranch-style home with a two car garage... any thoughts? I went through both areas and it seemed like Salmon Creek was close to 5 and 205, it's not too far away from WSU and a hospital, plus it seemed like I didn't see any sketchy areas and it's farther north (quiter than Fishers Landing)?
Thanks for any insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Since you are pretty senstitive to noise (I am too) this is tough dilema.

Salmon Creek will have freeway noise and light airport noise (I lived nearby for 10 yrs and freeway bothered me. I was 1 mile off freeway and behind a BIG hill. but could hear traffic 24/7.)

Fisher Landing you will have traffic and train and occasional airport noise. and MANY more kids...

I would look for a place near WSU on east side of Mt Vista (to screen I-5 noise, but will still have a little 205 noise)

THEN I would take one of these fine clear WARM nights or early mornings, and walk the parks in both places and sit in car with windows open and see what you think of noise.

It also depends on your interests and activities. If you are gonna be in Portland a lot, I would get closer to 205 bridge (Ellworth or Fisher Landing). If you like recreation in the Gorge, (Steigerwalt Refuge, The Columbia River - Steigerwald Lake NWR, Washington hiking, Stevenson events, Hood River, WINE, Maryhill Museum ... MANY PARKS) then consider Fisher Landing or Camas.

If you like Woodland or Ridgefield refuge, Welcome to Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge - and Mt St Helens, and oftten go to Seattle or Olympia, then Salmon Creek. Salmon Creek will PROBABLY mean more driving.

I REALLY like living in the Gorge and I go to Portland A LOT, especially May - Aug. During Chamber Music NW, Chamber Music Northwest I will be to Portland at least 2x / week + Aug Concerts in the Park. I am 20 minute to PDX, 30 min to DTWN. It is tough to beat Camas Washougal, but it is COLDER during winter winds. The Washougal walking trail along river is quite nice (Access from Pendelton Woolen Mills Parking lot, be sure to take a plant tour if you have not done so)

Age?,
Will you be working / commuting?
Have needs for Medical Proximity?
interests?
Home activities (gardening / music / reading / photo/people)?

for QUIET, you would LOVE the places I've been this week on West coast of Gulf of Thailand. Just me and the beach at a couple places (midweek). After being in Bangkok, Singapore, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, and Hong Kong in the last weeks I was so needing QUIET that I slept through Breakfast... oops.

If you have some Taiwan experience I could certainly use some tutoring in Language and business ethics / culture. I am having a challenges getting the results I need from a Taiwan owned parent company.. If I knew their 'Formula', it would make my temp job MUCH better, and I could spend more time on the beach or riding a scooter around Thailand. (and shopping for cheap healthcare and apartment to stay during treatments).

I would also like to find a 'hello-kitty' neck pillow for these 14 hr flights. (But I might have to guard it with my LIFE). I saw a really nice Sleeping Rabbit neck pillow last week in China but someone was WEARING it

Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I live a little north of Fisher's Landing. I don't hear much plane noise. The planes seem to land and take off from PDX above the river. Every so often we hear a jet, but it is infrequent.

I have to say that I hear frequent sirens at night, but I think that is to be expected if you live in any sizeable city.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:35 PM

9 posts, read 12,509 times
Again, SR, this thread is not about Thailand, or China, or any other place you've visited. It's about southwestern Washington State. Please make a note of it.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:27 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdogmom View Post
Again, SR, this thread is not about Thailand, or China, or any other place you've visited. It's about southwestern Washington State. Please make a note of it.
So you are digging through 2 year old posts just to find something to complain about?

Old 07-01-2022, 05:18 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
So nearly 7 years from the initial post and most likely considerable growth in both of these areas, what is the congestion and noise like in 2022?

Old 07-03-2022, 01:42 PM

206 posts, read 134,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
So nearly 7 years from the initial post and most likely considerable growth in both of these areas, what is the congestion and noise like in 2022?
Salmon Creek... I'm only there a couple times / yr, but used to live nearby
Vast traffic routing changes in the I-5 / I-205 / 134th St interchange, (new overpasses, connectors, traffic controls) probably an improvement, and hopefully I will live long enough to figure it out. (But I have got lost / mis-directed in my last 2 time passing through. As an old timer you expect traffic and roads to be in certain places that they are no longer there. )

Fishers Landing... Not unbearable, but a few more residents.
Similar / same as 7 yrs ago. Bit more traffic.

I notice the increased traffic in Portland during commute hours.
Covid was a nice time to drive / shop / commute

Maybe $8/g fuel will thin the traffic.

Old 07-04-2022, 12:33 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
They are pretty similar. Fishers Landing is closer to a lot more variety of shopping, restaurants, etc. And is much closer to Portland and PDX for your runs over to the malls and big box stores on that side of the river.

If you are driving into central Portland, Fishers Landing gives you the option of either bridge and you can just use google maps to see which route has less traffic. If you are coming into Portland from Fishers Landing it is pretty much just the I-5 bridge unless you want to go WAY out of your way.

Old 07-04-2022, 03:57 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
I prefer Fishers Landing. But that's because we like the east side more closer to Lacamas and Round Lakes. We also have relatives there. They never complain about noise and I've never noticed while visiting them. But if I was going to buy a house, I would definitely visit that particular street at night when I expect it to be quiet just to be sure. That goes for any new area I move to.

I get the sense that Fishers Landing is also a bit more exclusive and semi-gentrified now even though not 'that old.' You just see far fewer homes for sale compared to places like Salmon Creek. Once there, folks don't seem to want to leave and its central location is a big plus. I know our retired relatives feel that way even though they're in a home too large for them now with two stories. I think the upstairs goes basically unused unless they have guests. They bought it new when that whole area was just being developed. If they were going to sell now, where else would they go? They want to remain in Fishers Landing.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-04-2022 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-04-2022, 07:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
The only real difference is personal choice and travel needs. I was commuting frequently to Bremerton when living near Salmon Creek, plus it has areas that are very fertile for gardens and ag business (we had a fruit farm).

Fisher's Landing is very handy to PDX, but is mostly miserable for gardening (gravel / rock quarry) + ice cold winter winds. Need to get north of 119th ave or in Proebstal Valley to be in decent soils and out of east wind.

Either choice can be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area