Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 02:23 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
...NOT two story homes crammed in together on postage size lots where everyone looks down on the patio of the house next door? We don't want to be rural, but don't want a house that is so close one could nearly reach out and borrow a cup of sugar through a window. Do these exist?
The model for modern development-type of construction is large houses on small lots. This was even true in Ohio, where I spent the years responsible for my online handle. Ryan Homes buys land from a farmer, plats out streets, subdivides into 5000 square foot lots, builds 2700 sq ft, 2-store cubicle houses, with lots of fancy façade features. The only way to get new construction on a reasonable lot is to buy either raw land and to build, or land with an existing older house and re-build.

That said, I've been looking at Ridgefield and north, to Longview and beyond... It looks to be possible to buy an older house on substantial acreage just east of I-5. In fact the prices are beguilingly low. Am I missing something?

Also, any thoughts on Cowlitz County vs. Clark County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 02:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
...The only way to get new construction on a reasonable lot is to buy either raw land and to build, or land with an existing older house and re-build.

That said, I've been looking at Ridgefield and north, to Longview and beyond... It looks to be possible to buy an older house on substantial acreage just east of I-5. In fact the prices are beguilingly low. Am I missing something?

Also, any thoughts on Cowlitz County vs. Clark County?
..."raw land and to build, or land with an existing older house and re-build."

Examine the current details, but Cowlitz County had a far lower barrier to entry last time I did a new build.
1) Impact fees
2) Plan review lead-times and costs
3) Available septic and well permits and costs
4) Permit fees
5) Occupancy requirements and timeframe.

finally land costs and availability of your ideal plot. (neighbors... dirt bikes, guns, dogs, junk cars, noise, livestock, purple houses... lots of stuff might bug you, be prepared)

When considering bare land... ALWAYS have an escape clause that provides you due diligence to determine if a property is "buildable". (Many are not).
Be very cautious of 'wetlands' and drainage / watershed restrictions.

Then... beware of the negative crime / less desirable towns of Cowlitz.
Not knowing if you have school age concerns, healthcare access needs, resell valuation concerns.

Old 01-08-2023, 02:51 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Then... beware of the negative crime / less desirable towns of Cowlitz.
Not knowing if you have school age concerns, healthcare access needs, resell valuation concerns.
Not to hijack the thread, but my main concern would be potential resale. No particular healthcare needs. No kids, but some regard for school quality as a litmus for the prevailing culture.

Crime isn't a primary concern, apart again from resale value. But I do wonder... which parts of Cowlitz labor under a particularly negative reputation regarding crime and associated factors?

Old 01-08-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
... What's more important, a big lot or a newer home? Do you care about price? There are some gorgeous homes on Lacamas lake with big lots. And they are multimillion-dollar homes.
I was thinking of you guys last night as I drove home via Lacamas Lake area, and the number of homes near there with 1-5 acres we looked at for ~$89,000 (During the downturn of 1980's). A friend bought a new build country home on acreage just adjacent to Camp Baldwin. <$80k. I see there is a home just south of Camas Produce and MHP currently FS. Friends of the family lived on some of those properties adjoining Heritage Trail. Those were going fairly cheap, but I was not keen on traffic / 2 lane access or going through Camas to get to SR 14. Co-worker's family owned what became Lacamas Shores. There were few homes on Prune Hill and the Drive-in Movie sign and property were there when we helped construct Harvest Church. Only a few homes between East Prune Hill and Moutain View HS. 164th was a 2 lane county road with a 4 way stop sign at Mill Plain.

Single Tree Lane was a desirable 'Close in' spot with 1+ acre lots. All have now been changed to high density in-fill.

There are still desirable properties out there, and more to come. Bring cash. At least you will already know who your neighbor's will be. (Not coyotes and beef cattle)

Old 01-08-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
...my main concern would be potential resale. ...

Crime isn't a primary concern, apart again from resale value. But I do wonder... which parts of Cowlitz labor under a particularly negative reputation regarding crime and associated factors?
That can be quickly determined by crime records discussions with local LEO and carefully discussing with local people and professionals. There are some very nice areas in Cowlitz, it's not hard to find them.

Resell value is a significant concern if you are spending a bundle of money and time to develop and property. (I've been 'stuck' with plenty)

Old 01-08-2023, 05:11 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Back on this thread with a few questions. This is our year, finally, for the relo. Looking online at housing. Are there any new neighborhoods being built, or built within the last dozen years or so, that are NOT two story homes crammed in together on postage size lots where everyone looks down on the patio of the house next door? We don't want to be rural, but don't want a house that is so close one could nearly reach out and borrow a cup of sugar through a window. Do these exist?
Nope.

At least not newer construction within any existing neighborhood. Real estate is expensive and developers put in as many homes as they can squeeze into a given acreage. That means small lots and 2-story homes.

If you want a 1-story home on a large lot you gotta go rural or find an older neighborhood with older ranch homes which are common in the older parts of Vancouver.

Or else go upscale and buy a $1 million McMansion on a big lot someplace.

Old 01-08-2023, 05:34 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Nope.

At least not newer construction within any existing neighborhood. Real estate is expensive and developers put in as many homes as they can squeeze into a given acreage. That means small lots and 2-story homes.

If you want a 1-story home on a large lot you gotta go rural or find an older neighborhood with older ranch homes which are common in the older parts of Vancouver.

Or else go upscale and buy a $1 million McMansion on a big lot someplace.
Yes, this is pattern and general rule for all new developments. That said, there are 'some' exceptions if one is willing to pay for it. Since trailtramp hasn't mentioned any sort of max budget, what are we supposed to assume? Without any more info, this just seems the 'throw a dart at the board while blindfolded' stage and see what sticks.

Is money no object? Do you want to stay under $1 million, $750k... or what? Otherwise, we're just making wild assumptions spit balling something.

For example, they do build some new homes in SE Vancouver near us on larger lots, usually ~ 1/4 acre. But they are ~ $1 million+. So, how does that float your boat? Here's a 1-story that meets all the criteria - brand new!

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Vancouver/...home/178773083

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-08-2023 at 05:54 PM..

Old 01-08-2023, 06:04 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I was thinking of you guys last night as I drove home via Lacamas Lake area, and the number of homes near there with 1-5 acres we looked at for ~$89,000 (During the downturn of 1980's). A friend bought a new build country home on acreage just adjacent to Camp Baldwin. <$80k. I see there is a home just south of Camas Produce and MHP currently FS. Friends of the family lived on some of those properties adjoining Heritage Trail. Those were going fairly cheap, but I was not keen on traffic / 2 lane access or going through Camas to get to SR 14. Co-worker's family owned what became Lacamas Shores. There were few homes on Prune Hill and the Drive-in Movie sign and property were there when we helped construct Harvest Church. Only a few homes between East Prune Hill and Moutain View HS. 164th was a 2 lane county road with a 4 way stop sign at Mill Plain.

Single Tree Lane was a desirable 'Close in' spot with 1+ acre lots. All have now been changed to high density in-fill.

There are still desirable properties out there, and more to come. Bring cash. At least you will already know who your neighbor's will be. (Not coyotes and beef cattle)
I can only imagine what good deals they got back in the day around Lacamas Shores. Now, all these homes are over $1 million in value. And no one is selling. I mean why would they? Where are they going to go to find something nicer? Here's an example of a 'basic' lake front home with a view.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Camas/1631.../home/14676515

Looking at its sale history, it originally sold for Sold for $140,000 in 1991. Those were the days deals existing around the lake. Not so much anymore. It was discovered a long time ago.

My retired friend from CA wants acreage on a lake - dreamer. When I took him paddleboarding around Lacamas Lake, he asked "how much do these homes go for, anyway?" Haha When I told him they're all over $1 million and NOT for sale, that basically popped his temporary fantasy bubble. FL and TX are calling... He's driving down South next week to explore many areas starting with TN.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-08-2023 at 06:14 PM..

Old 01-08-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I can only imagine what good deals they got back in the day around Lacamas Shores. Now, all these homes are over $1 million in value. And no one is selling. I mean why would they? ...Here's an example of a basic lake front home with a view.

Looking at its sale history, it originally sold for Sold for $140,000 in 1991. ... He's driving down South next week to explore many areas starting with TN.

Derek
$140k is about what that joint should be worth.
no one is selling. I mean why would they?
Property Taxes would have been ~$1,100/ yr on their new home in 1991, yet today that would be $18,000+/ yr (at my levy rate, nearby).

So... if the original purchaser was an hourly papermill worker, he might be pulling in $40k / yr as a retiree. Spending 1/2 their annual income on property taxes, and the other half on healthcare, just may not wash.

I have (3) ex-coworkers in the much bigger homes in Lacamas Shores They paid $350k - $400k at the time (brand new), but today they are all empty nesters, and itching to head back to CA. I think they missed a great opportunhity to do so. (but i'm usually wrong in my timing).

Old 01-08-2023, 06:22 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
The VAST majority of current home buyers prioritize house square footage over lot square footage. That is just a reality of the housing market, and developers build houses to be sold. Of course if you are willing to throw unlimited amounts of money around then sure, you can probably buy or build anything including a 1500 sf ranch house on a 1/2 acre lot in the middle of the city.

The much easier way to do it would be to just buy an older ranch on a big lot and remodel it to your taste. For example: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...23239855_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area