Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:21 PM

246 posts, read 330,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by living in st george View Post
so how do you politely go about asking about a scout troop that isn't of a particular faith???
Start with the BSA and see what troops are local to your area. Then check off those that are sponsored by church wards. The ones that remain are your target group.

Most times it's another church so they probably won't mind you making sure it's not mormon.

FYI, my uncle has led a non-LDS scout troop for 20 years and has turned out more Eagle Scouts than any other in SE Idaho!

Magpies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 07:44 PM

246 posts, read 330,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCL View Post
Hmmmm, so then, what you are telling Living in St. George is that it was wrong to expect to be welcomed warmly and treated with respect and dignity, instead of being ostracized simply because one has their own religious beliefs.

After all the things the LDS church preaches on TV, Radio, etc. about following the commandments of Jesus, love thy neighbor, etc.

Well...shame on us for believing all that hype & spin.

Xenophobia is not a family value.
All I'm telling St. George is that when you move into a community that is predominately one faith, you can find yourself as welcome as a honkytonk band at a Bar Mitzvah.

Who cares that the LDS faithful don't deliver what the advertising message says? And that makes them different from any religion in what way? In case you ain't looked, churches today are far too occupied with fighting cultural wars for JC & aren't buying into that pinkocommie "love thy neighbor...blessed are the poor..." guff.

Magpies

Last edited by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies; 08-24-2006 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-25-2006, 06:42 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,627,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder_Shawn View Post
Never say never!
Actually, one can say that. I grew up in Star Valley, Wyoming, (south of Jackson), as a non-Mormon kid. I spent alot of time with Mormons, participated in some of their church activities, went to school and graduated with them, and had many friends among them. As a teenager, I was told that I would make a good Mormon, which I thought was quite funny, being the Gentile that I was! Mormon folks are good neighbors, and they can be good friends, (take heart, Living in St. George). But, guess what? I'm still not a Mormon; have absolutely no interest in the religion. But, then, I no longer have an interest in the religion I was raised in, either. I have in interest in God, just not religion.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:04 AM

273 posts, read 1,651,043 times
If I was Mormon and living in a city like St. George with a large population of Mormons, I would be pleased with the negativity and fear of non-Mormons about moving to my community. That way I could rest assured that my community wouldn't change.

If people would quit worrying about "fitting in", maybe a wider variety of people would move to those communities and Mormon/non-Mormon would become a non-issue.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,453 times
Default worship God not a religion!!

Oh my! I don't know where to begin I'm so upset! I moved to Utah from Arlington Virginia back in 1990 to be close to my non-morman brother in Roy.
We ended up moving back to Virginia only 11 months later, breaking my brothers heart! We were home sick for the D C area.
My daughter was born in Ogden during our stay there. She is now 15yrs old. I also have a wonderful 6 yr old son. Recently my family has been asking me to move back to Utah. I loved it when i lived there. I am a fisherman, so needless to say i loved utah.
My brother is catholic as am I. He has been happily married to a wonderful morman girl for 20 years! They have a genious of a 12 year old daughter.
Recently i started getting excited about the prospect of moving back to Utah. This time things would be different. I have 2 childrens wellfares to worry about not just mine and my wifes.
These posts I have been reading have been upsetting to say the least! The last time i lived in Utah i really didn't have any problems with religion with the exception of being past up for a job for the simple fact that i wasn't LDS. How retarded was that! I was told they wanted me and that i was perfect for the job, only for them to do a coplete 180 turn around after illegally asking me if i was LDS or not.
All this talk about "fitting in" is rediculous! You shouldn't have to worry about fitting in anywhere in America. On Sunday you go to your church and i go to mine! It's really that simple. Even a monkey can figure it out! Kids being left out because they are not LDS. Parent's telling them not to eat in a non LDS house. Like catholics eat food from another planet or something! I have never agreed with the cult like beliefs of Mormans. And the bad example LDS parents set for there children my telling them not to hang out or socialize with non LDS childrens. My beliefs are in the catholic faith. The bible has been around for 1 or 2 more years than the book of morman that some guy wrote! Give me a break! Buttt!! This does not mean that i don't respect the mormans and there religion. I have the highest respect for ones beliefs. It's one peoples religion dictate one thing and there actions dictate another where i have a problem! Hard core mormans tend to be so hipocritical it makes me sick! No wonder they were run out of so many places before they could settle down. That alone should have been a signal to them to step back and take a long hard look at there beliefs and see all the flaws in there religion!!
As for moving back to the beautiful state of Utah I am now having second thoughts! I am Worried about my children transferring to schools and having to worry about religion, fitting in,elders knocking on our door constantly trying to recruit us into the church. Rather than making good grades,making new friends and having fun with everyone no matter which church they choose to attend on Sundays! Curbow........

Old 08-30-2006, 05:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,432 times
If you want to understand the essence of Utah, see the film "Latter Days", and pay close attention to the kitchen scene when Elder Davis is sent home. The wallpaper matches the napkins, and his parents' minds are closed tighter than beartraps.

Why anyone would choose to raise children in such an environment is beyond me. Utah is a state filled with very threatened, very frightened people who see threats everywhere they look, in every direction. It's the end result of a closed society who has no genuine faith in God or true belief in their religion.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:02 AM

378 posts, read 1,908,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbow View Post
Oh my! I don't know where to begin I'm so upset! I moved to Utah from Arlington Virginia back in 1990 to be close to my non-morman brother in Roy. Curbow........
I spent a few seconds in Word helping you out my friend.

Oh my! I don't know where to begin I'm so upset! I moved to Utah from Arlington Virginia back in 1990 to be close to my non-Mormon brother in Roy.
We ended up moving back to Virginia only 11 months later, breaking my brother’s heart! We were home sick for the D C area.
My daughter was born in Ogden during our stay there. She is now 15yrs old. I also have a wonderful 6 yr old son. Recently my family has been asking me to move back to Utah. I loved it when i lived there. I am a fisherman, so needless to say i loved Utah.
My brother is catholic as am I. He has been happily married to a wonderful Mormon girl for 20 years! They have a genius of a 12 year old daughter.
Recently i started getting excited about the prospect of moving back to Utah. This time things would be different. I have 2 children’s welfare to worry about not just mine and my wife’s.
These posts I have been reading have been upsetting to say the least! The last time i lived in Utah i really didn't have any problems with religion with the exception of being past up for a job for the simple fact that i wasn't LDS. How retarded was that! I was told they wanted me and that i was perfect for the job, only for them to do a complete 180 turn around after illegally asking me if i was LDS or not.
All this talk about "fitting in" is ridiculous! You shouldn't have to worry about fitting in anywhere in America. On Sunday you go to your church and i go to mine! It's really that simple. Even a monkey can figure it out! Kids being left out because they are not LDS. Parents telling them not to eat in a non LDS house. Like Catholics eat food from another planet or something! I have never agreed with the cult like beliefs of Mormons. And the bad example LDS parents set for there children my telling them not to hang out or socialize with non LDS children. My beliefs are in the catholic faith. The bible has been around for 1 or 2 more years than the book of Mormon that some guy wrote! Give me a break! Buttt!! This does not mean that i don't respect the Mormons and their religion. I have the highest respect for one’s beliefs. It's one people’s religion dictate one thing and there actions dictate another where i have a problem! Hard core Mormons tend to be so hypocritical it makes me sick! No wonder they were run out of so many places before they could settle down. That alone should have been a signal to them to step back and take a long hard look at there beliefs and see all the flaws in there religion!!
As for moving back to the beautiful state of Utah I am now having second thoughts! I am Worried about my children transferring to schools and having to worry about religion, fitting in, elders knocking on our door constantly trying to recruit us into the church. Rather than making good grades, making new friends and having fun with everyone no matter which church they choose to attend on Sundays! Curbow........

Old 08-30-2006, 09:16 AM

378 posts, read 1,908,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam&Steve View Post
If you want to understand the essence of Utah, see the film "Latter Days", and pay close attention to the kitchen scene when Elder Davis is sent home. The wallpaper matches the napkins, and his parents' minds are closed tighter than beartraps.

Why anyone would choose to raise children in such an environment is beyond me. Utah is a state filled with very threatened, very frightened people who see threats everywhere they look, in every direction. It's the end result of a closed society who has no genuine faith in God or true belief in their religion.

Adam and Steve I love it haha!

Old 08-30-2006, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 40,147 times
we spent 6 years in hurricane and worked in st george. at first all was great UNTIL the locals realized we were not and would not become LDS -talk about non-Christian behavior! What kind of people don't allow very young children to play with others because of their church?? Although there are good things about the area, polygamy runs rampant, there is so much meth amphetamine use and teen pregnancy is unbelievable there! i work in the medical field and have seen it all. apparantly even the Mormons in other areas are disdainful of the southern Utah church members. I could tell you stories.....! Just save your $$ and put the house on the market. As non- LDS, your kids have no chance at a good future there. Good luck to you.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:22 AM

61 posts, read 276,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIEANDLAURIE View Post
As non- LDS, your kids have no chance at a good future there. Good luck to you.
I know I have a limited future here, that I don't fit in, that I'm unhappy, etc. So, I'm gone, much to the chagrin of my parents, especially Mom. But hey, I've been planning this for 8 years. It's like finishing a jail sentence. I guess when I get to Washington I'll have to meet with my Mormon parole officer. (kidding!)

- Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah