Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 02:33 PM

38,300 posts, read 22,322,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's amusing that you think there's a Department of Gay in Netflix HQ forcing all of these changes on unwilling creators.

Back to the actual show, I'd heard that there were links in the comics to actual DC superheroes, and I'm glad those were excised for the series. I think it works better as a stand-alone adaptation within its own universe.
Sure sounds like Netflix may have departments which focus on Diversity Inclusion and Equity (DIE)

Netflix fires 300 employees

“Nearly everyone I see on LinkedIn posting about being laid off worked on diversity, equity, and inclusion across the company,” former Netflix worker Evette Dionne tweeted in May, during the first round of layoffs.

“These are not the only people being laid off, but they comprise too many of the 150 for it to be coincidence.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I don't think we've been watching the same show...LGBTQ values in every scene? The Sandman comic had many LGBTQ supporting or minor characters. I am a heterosexual female who enjoys good storytelling, which the comic, and the TV series, also has. I think so far the TV show added one character, the waitress in the diner, to the roster of LGBTQ characters; and since she was not a significant character in the long run, her sexual orientation does not matter much.

In the comics, Constantine is male, but is supposedly bisexual and had had a romance in the past with the girl who had stolen the dream dust and become addicted to it; so it makes sense that "Johanna Constantine" was bisexual and had had a past romance with her as well.
Neil explained why Constantine is a female in this series. He understands that most of the audience have not read the comics and it might be difficult for people to comprehend that she was a direct descendant of the male Constantine, so he just decided to make her female and not bother with the back story.

Click the link at the bottom to skip ahead to the relevant part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e54llvV_tc&t=299s

Old 08-23-2022, 08:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,468,581 times
PS Episode 6 was my favorite...but I loved the new one Episode 11!

Almost all TV now has gay stuff - before that it was interracial marriages ...NOW, LOL,
2birdsonesstone, we have inter racial, gay couples. It just cracks me up.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's nothing about the show itself, but I'm finding the fact that so many people are upset by making the casting choices more diverse, to the point that that they can't and won't watch the series fascinating. There's this knee-jerk reaction that it's "woke" and that's a problem, but why? If all the characters were straight white men, that would make the show better?
Why, were there gay characters that were changed to straight, black characters turned into blue-eyed white skinned blondes, female characters changed into men?

There is a consistency here, because the same people would complain if the king and the Black Panther, in Wakanda Forever (2022) was changed into a blonde, lesbian Norwegian "woman." When there is no reason to gender and race swap characters, other than to push an agenda, people don't like it. It doesn't matter which way it goes.

Old 09-02-2022, 02:40 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,737,890 times
I never read the comics, and I don't mind LGBTQ characters, but I have to agree that this show went just way over the top. The waitress who tries to set up the lesbian with a "nice boy" being a lesbian herself made no sense. So is the dude who is married and a "player" being gay was weird as well. Desire being gay(?) was rather thematic so it made sense to me. Its one thing to have diversity, its another to have a disproportionate/statistically unrealistic amount of certain people. If the world of Sandman has this many LGBT characters just out in the world, the human race would've gone extinct in like 2 generations.
The lady who plays Lucifer is just completely miscast. I don't like her acting nor her looks as the character. She has that very naive "homely" looking face.

Old 09-02-2022, 04:46 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,261,885 times
I'm a big of Neil Gaiman's books but The Sandman is just drudgery. It's just so dreary and slow moving and preachy I'm actually rooting for all of the characters to just cease to exist. Totally miscast with the exception of David Thewlis who plays John Dee. Mr. Thewlis can play a very creepy villain (V. M. Varga Season 3 of Fargo).

Old 09-03-2022, 10:03 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,048,922 times
This show makes no sense to me. Its just Dream visiting his old acquaintances, and reconnecting.

Old 09-05-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I never read the comics, and I don't mind LGBTQ characters, but I have to agree that this show went just way over the top. The waitress who tries to set up the lesbian with a "nice boy" being a lesbian herself made no sense. So is the dude who is married and a "player" being gay was weird as well. Desire being gay(?) was rather thematic so it made sense to me. Its one thing to have diversity, its another to have a disproportionate/statistically unrealistic amount of certain people. If the world of Sandman has this many LGBT characters just out in the world, the human race would've gone extinct in like 2 generations.
The lady who plays Lucifer is just completely miscast. I don't like her acting nor her looks as the character. She has that very naive "homely" looking face.
I had a similar take. If 75% of the people are gay, and the other 25% are dysfunctional jerks who abandon their spouses and children, then the entire world's population would cease to exist in a generation.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:58 AM

2,738 posts, read 2,247,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

Thanks for the info - I will scratch this one off of my list to watch.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:56 AM

5,721 posts, read 3,221,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Do you think you have to be 'into' sci-fi to like this?
I would say it's more fantasy, than Sci-fi. I like the show a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV