Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 05:36 PM

38,042 posts, read 22,214,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But Neil Gaiman himself is heavily involved with the production of the show, and greenlit all of the changes made. I read a quote from him somewhere where he said he "gives zero *&^%s" about people who complain about the diverse casting. The Netflix show is not the same creative work as the graphic novels, that are now dated is some ways, as are many cultural works that are 25-30 years old. If you really cannot reconcile The Sandman as a show, feel free to ignore it and go back to the comics, where you feel more comfortable.
Gaiman is earning a pretty penny here, he's probably fine with giving Netflix's LGBT wing free reign to play around with genders and sexual proclivities of minor characters. He doesn't care as long as Netflix does not change the story.

Turning 3/4 of the men and women gay doesn't alter the story. But neither would it alter the story if Netflix decided to have 3/4 of the of the minor characters insert biblical references. However, the audience would start to feel fatigued if character after character referenced passages to the bible, or Netflix's camera shots kept focusing on their crucifix necklaces, rosaries, or "Jesus Saves" baseball caps and bumper stickers.

If 3/4 or the characters just happened to be carrying Jordache handbags, jeans and coats, or just happened to be always be drinking Coca-cola, it would be just as annoying. After a while the audience would frustrated that they are being made to suffer thru TV shows that Netflix used to push Christianity, Jordache and Coke products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 07:33 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,459,247 times
It's amusing that you think there's a Department of Gay in Netflix HQ forcing all of these changes on unwilling creators.

Back to the actual show, I'd heard that there were links in the comics to actual DC superheroes, and I'm glad those were excised for the series. I think it works better as a stand-alone adaptation within its own universe.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:09 AM

7,252 posts, read 7,099,345 times
Just finished this last night. Hubby is a big fan of the comics, I don't read comics. Both of us really liked it. There were good performances (Death, Desire, Constantine, Corinthian, Gilbert) and some not so great ones (Lucifer, Despair, Rose). The visuals were pretty good, especially the very Daliesque scene at the end. I did feel like the story seemed a bit rushed.

Comparing this to how the Umbrella Academy (another comic to tv adaptation) seemed to have so much packed into each episode, the story seemed sparce. But it did give off an otherworldly vibe so perhaps that was intentional.

All in all, will watch season two.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Just finished this last night. Hubby is a big fan of the comics, I don't read comics. Both of us really liked it. There were good performances (Death, Desire, Constantine, Corinthian, Gilbert) and some not so great ones (Lucifer, Despair, Rose). The visuals were pretty good, especially the very Daliesque scene at the end. I did feel like the story seemed a bit rushed.
In the Tom & Lorenzo recaps of the series, they brought up that the first half of the season felt like prestige television, and the second half felt like a teen fantasy drama on the CW. Can't disagree much with that.

Old 08-19-2022, 03:55 PM

Netflix dropped a bonus Sandman episode, just in time for the weekend.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:23 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,553,668 times
Quote:
Netflix dropped a bonus Sandman episode, just in time for the weekend.
Watched last night. Turns out to be my favorite episode.

Old 08-20-2022, 08:11 AM

19,096 posts, read 27,679,377 times
Removed it from My List after E. 5. I don't need another thought up molasses dragging psychodrama promoting LGBTQ values in every scene.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:22 AM

2,081 posts, read 1,611,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Removed it from My List after E. 5. I don't need another thought up molasses dragging psychodrama promoting LGBTQ values in every scene.
I don't think we've been watching the same show...LGBTQ values in every scene? The Sandman comic had many LGBTQ supporting or minor characters. I am a heterosexual female who enjoys good storytelling, which the comic, and the TV series, also has. I think so far the TV show added one character, the waitress in the diner, to the roster of LGBTQ characters; and since she was not a significant character in the long run, her sexual orientation does not matter much.

In the comics, Constantine is male, but is supposedly bisexual and had had a romance in the past with the girl who had stolen the dream dust and become addicted to it; so it makes sense that "Johanna Constantine" was bisexual and had had a past romance with her as well.

Old 08-21-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I don't think we've been watching the same show...LGBTQ values in every scene? The Sandman comic had many LGBTQ supporting or minor characters. I am a heterosexual female who enjoys good storytelling, which the comic, and the TV series, also has. I think so far the TV show added one character, the waitress in the diner, to the roster of LGBTQ characters; and since she was not a significant character in the long run, her sexual orientation does not matter much.

In the comics, Constantine is male, but is supposedly bisexual and had had a romance in the past with the girl who had stolen the dream dust and become addicted to it; so it makes sense that "Johanna Constantine" was bisexual and had had a past romance with her as well.
It's nothing about the show itself, but I'm finding the fact that so many people are upset by making the casting choices more diverse, to the point that that they can't and won't watch the series fascinating. There's this knee-jerk reaction that it's "woke" and that's a problem, but why? If all the characters were straight white men, that would make the show better?

Old 08-21-2022, 02:29 PM

7,252 posts, read 7,099,345 times
Quote:
It's nothing about the show itself, but I'm finding the fact that so many people are upset by making the casting choices more diverse, to the point that that they can't and won't watch the series fascinating. There's this knee-jerk reaction that it's "woke" and that's a problem, but why? If all the characters were straight white men, that would make the show better?
Exactly. To choose to not watch because of the diversity is just so close minded. Don't watch it because you think the 'genre doesn't interest you'; don't watch it because you think 'the writing is bad'; don't watch it because you think 'the acting is bad'. A knee jerk reaction on the diversity is not a good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV