Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:41 AM

270 posts, read 111,413 times

Advertisements

No, you explained your opinion why you thought Meloni left, and now are beginning to fail to distinguish your opinion from fact. You have already convinced yourself that you are right and going any further to try to correct your thinking would be like trying to tell a Muslim fanatic that their religion is false. You are a true believer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 09:52 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,101,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Grievance View Post
Annie, it seems what you're doing is giving your opinion like you think it's what the audience thinks. That's fine. There's no way to know. I wouodn't be surprised in the era of MeToo and toxic masculinity if the teen girls who make up that sinking ship's main audience today see Stabler as a mean white male who only got to where he is because of white privilege and that he was a toxic male who roughed up the suspects too hard. I bet they're glad he's gone. Really, I'm not being at all sarcastic. But to those of who watched the first 12 seasons and loved Stabler's yin to Benson's yang and had never heard the term toxic masculinity before, they literally destroyed one of the singularly most compelling dramas on television EVER. And we will never forgive them for that.
Do you still watch SVU?

I do, along with enough others to keep it viable and I doubt those other people have kept watching a show they hate and I doubt they are a bunch of teen girls.

Strictly speaking..... Stabler roughing up suspects isn't the way to gain a conviction, it is the way to get a case thrown out of court and get fired from the police force. If Benson hadn't kept Stabler on a short leash, he wouldn't have lasted one season.

.........and he would have ended up like the ex-cop Meloni plays in his new show "HAPPY". ......right down to his little imaginary friend! LOL Too Funny!

Old 04-25-2019, 10:20 AM

Your analysis is seriously lacking but I wouldn't expect anything less from one so enamored with Benson. Anyone so committed to a person with such extensive character flaws must share some of those flaws.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:24 AM

8,239 posts, read 10,758,138 times
Quote:
Great reading comprehension. I bet you voted for Hillary. The quote marks, they’re this little thing in English we use to indicate we’re quoting someone and not using our own words. Go and read it again with that in mind and maybe it will make sense.
Oh please, you randomly quoted a statement with nothing to indicate who said it. It wasnt a quantum leap to think you stated it.

I am not sure what politics had to do with anything but keep tilting at that windmill.

By the way I did go back and read it again and it was more Christopher Meloni fan-girling so I gave up

For the life of me I dont understand why you are spending so much time railing against a show you obviously dont watch. It is profitable to NBC and people are still watching it. Point to attrition all you want but it is right in line with network tv's current viewership. Take a look around at what NBCU owns. OTA networks are a loss leader. Their vast portfolio of cable networks are profitable.

That should be all you need to know. Dont like it SVU, dont watch it. There are a myriad of shows on at the same time

Old 04-25-2019, 10:33 AM

That's one opinion. Another is that Olivia Benson is an insufferable, harping SJW nasty woman, a la Ashley Judd, unlikable, and someone they should have killed off nearly 9 seasons ago. Let the serial killer who stalked her for years kill her, then Stabler goes in and blows his head off, relieving the tension of wanting to kill a molester, and then bring in IA and a big duh duh DUH! hook on the season finale then come back and say he gets to keep his job. Something like that. Come on, it writes itself. They blew it and there's no going back.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:13 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,101,850 times
Quote:
Your analysis is seriously lacking but I wouldn't expect anything less from one so enamored with Benson. Anyone so committed to a person with such extensive character flaws must share some of those flaws.
Let's take a closer look at Stabler's flaws......and what could have happened to him if Benson hadn't kept him on that short leash...................Bwahhh ha ha ha ha ha ha HA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K60kfc-k-8g

Is that enough "toxic masculinity" for you?!

PS: HAPPY is one of my new favorite shows.

Sure am glad I don't personalize all the crap I like to watch on TV like you do. LOL

{Do YOU share some of Stabler's flaws? }

Old 04-25-2019, 03:46 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,080,849 times
Quote:
I see Stabler as a tragic character, a tortured character, someone who struggles with the demons of his profession, but also suffers the fears of a crumbling marriage and failing as a father. And occasionally even as a cop if he breaks down and beats the crap out of or even kills a child molester who he hates above everything else.

Benson is just a flighty, chatty Cathy, happy Harriet little girl who can go get drunk, plastered, go home with some guy. She doesn’t live for anybody but herself. She can take off, sleep in, she has nothing holding her down. That’s the easiest possible character to replace. Again, there’s a million women who could fill in with the same exact story line, single in the city, young and hunts child molesters. Throwing Meloni threw out the most significant foci for tension on the show. Now it’s nothing but a lefty social justice piece of garbage stinking up Thursday night.

WOW..... You have put a LOT of time, thought and analysis into fictional characters on a television show!!

Quote:
That isn't the bar for proof. The bar for proof is whether or not they can present a cogent show with a cogent plotline development that people will want to watch. I don't want to know if some 16 year old today watches Saturday Night Live. I want to know if someone who grew up with Ferrell and Sandler and Norm and Fallon watch it today. I want to know if someone who grew up with Belushi and Radner and Carvey and Myers watch it today. I suspect they don't. SVU has horrible attrition rates. Young people watch it because all they watch is crap and in the land of crapola SVU still stinks less than most, if not almost all, of the other crap that is out there but to those of us who watched it before the cool kids watched it it's crap.

I watched in the Belushi, Radner, Morris, Akroyd, Chase, Murray and Newman heyday..... Carvey and Myers came along later and I was usually out with friends at that time of night on a Saturday night.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
Frankly I feel the show jumped the shark when it started delving into the characters private lives to the extent it has the last few years. The original L&O and L&O SVU rarely showed their home life or family. They especially focus on Benson's personal problems. I think the franchise's heyday were the
Jerry Orbach-S. Epatha Merkerson years.

They have always dipped into personal lives..... remember the storylines about Stabler's troubled daughter?? Remember Stabler and his wife splitting up?? Remember the story lines about Tutuola's son??

Old 04-26-2019, 06:26 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,549,197 times
SVU is still a great show without Christopher Meloni. Different yes. Still great. I think its better without Stabler myself. And I like that they have shown more of the characters private lives. That was a real turn off with Law and Order, it was on all the time early 2000s in reruns and I tried but could not get into it, just too much procedure not enough character interest.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:13 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,257,617 times
The show is boring

Old 04-27-2019, 07:55 AM

9,294 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
The show is boring
Absolutely!

I find the New York (and Chicago) based cop shows to be depressing and brooding. I do enjoy California based cop shows though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV