Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 10:55 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 20 days ago)

8,443 posts, read 5,589,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Probably for a more laid back lifestyle with better nature. Texas is probably one of the worst states for nature and outdoor activities. I know a lot of people that have left for Colorado.
West Texas is really great for outdoor activities but its so far from the rest of the state, it might as well be its own state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 05:12 PM

19,955 posts, read 18,253,536 times
Quote:
Probably for a more laid back lifestyle with better nature. Texas is probably one of the worst states for nature and outdoor activities. I know a lot of people that have left for Colorado.
Just stop.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:23 PM

10,010 posts, read 6,705,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
More than any other state, yes.
Yep. More than California

Old 04-05-2023, 02:32 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,743,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
West Texas is really great for outdoor activities but its so far from the rest of the state, it might as well be its own state.
I love Big Bend and Guadalupe Mountains but they are both really far from where most people in TX live. It's not exactly the type of place you can go camping for the weekend.

Most anything east of Abilene is the Great Plains and is a total dead zone for most outdoorsy activities. Even the lakes here are fake. There are some nice forested areas in East Texas but they really aren't anything to write home about.

The biggest issue is that most of the state land is privately owned so there is a huge shortage of state parks for the amount of people who live here.

Old 04-06-2023, 08:52 AM

5,647 posts, read 4,985,894 times
Quote:
I love Big Bend and Guadalupe Mountains but they are both really far from where most people in TX live. It's not exactly the type of place you can go camping for the weekend.

Most anything east of Abilene is the Great Plains and is a total dead zone for most outdoorsy activities. Even the lakes here are fake. There are some nice forested areas in East Texas but they really aren't anything to write home about.

The biggest issue is that most of the state land is privately owned so there is a huge shortage of state parks for the amount of people who live here.
There is a growing movement to support the State adding more parks to keep up with demand, so one hopes it is successful. But yes, it will take awhile. There is a new park in Palo Pinto County, not far west of Fort Worth.

And reality is that for folks in DFW, many nice Oklahoma parks are also quite accessible.

Old 04-20-2024, 11:57 AM

779 posts, read 431,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've heard Montana has seen an influx of Texans moving there. I'm curious what is drawing Texans to the state. Other than it being conservative it's very different in climate and culture. I've also heard Texans are moving to the Black Hills. I saw quite a few living in Wyoming but I always assumed most there worked in the oil fields. Are people just leaving Texas in general? I have no intention of moving to Texas (too hot for me) but am just asking out of curiosity.
My family members moved to Minnesota for the cooler summers.Personally I am contemplating living up north during the summers for the cooler weather during August.

Old 04-20-2024, 10:50 PM

3,088 posts, read 8,457,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've heard Montana has seen an influx of Texans moving there. I'm curious what is drawing Texans to the state. Other than it being conservative it's very different in climate and culture. I've also heard Texans are moving to the Black Hills. I saw quite a few living in Wyoming but I always assumed most there worked in the oil fields. Are people just leaving Texas in general? I have no intention of moving to Texas (too hot for me) but am just asking out of curiosity.

They are going North because they can get UHauls really cheap. So many fled here to Texas that there is an overabundance of UHauls and they are practically giving them away to get the trucks to other locations.

Old 04-21-2024, 06:14 PM

4,634 posts, read 2,781,329 times
Property taxes, cost of housing, overcrowding, the Californian (and others) invasion.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

34 posts, read 20,589 times
Crazy high property taxes, a weak public school system, lack of public land and parks, whole state is turning into one giant suburb (including West Texas now), lack of water and the state is drying up. Huge influx of Native Texans now moving to places like Tennessee/Georgia/Kentucky/Northern Arkansas/Southern Indiana. People are tired of the heat, traffic, crowds and lack of nature. They are moving to places that actually have four seasons and are cheaper to live in on top of that with an abundance of public land.

Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM

21 posts, read 12,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillyDilly97 View Post
Crazy high property taxes, a weak public school system, lack of public land and parks, whole state is turning into one giant suburb (including West Texas now), lack of water and the state is drying up. Huge influx of Native Texans now moving to places like Tennessee/Georgia/Kentucky/Northern Arkansas/Southern Indiana. People are tired of the heat, traffic, crowds and lack of nature. They are moving to places that actually have four seasons and are cheaper to live in on top of that with an abundance of public land.
FWIW, all of the Texans moving to my area of Kentucky are white, and after spending three days in Houston, I can see why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas