Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:44 AM

25 posts, read 36,330 times

Advertisements

"Well he tried both universities, and you don't have to wonder how, he says with all sincerity I'm a Southwest Texas Bobcat now!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM

288 posts, read 434,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
THIS. This is completely unfair for a 11% ranked at a school like Clements in Sugar Land who both the student and parents worked very hars vs a person ranked 8% at a small school with little competition. This is completely unfair. That being said, the very best students from the poor districts should have a shot, but limit it to 25 or 30% of class size (that may be top 3% or whatever) but not fill the entire class with the highly subjective class rank. If the policies were changed, UT and other Texas Universities could be even more powerhouses.

I'm just very surprised that Texas has the most liberal college admissions policies in the entire country.
BigDGeek posted why. Its mandated by the state. Texas curbed that by now only allowing the top 8% instead of the mandatory 10%.

You can yell and stomp about it being unfair, but both A&M and UT have their hands tied by this bill. Both would love to do away with it, and allow the best students in. But both let this happen by not permitting the other schools into the PUF. I dont think you understand the politics both alum bases had been pulling for decades. Texas State, UH, and Texas Tech were left behind becasue of it.

For a state this size, we should have more tier one schools.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:31 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
I have a child at both. So I think there are good reasons to attend either.

I think UT's national reputation is exaggerated, at least from the perspective of getting a job. A&M was ranked #2 in the US behind Penn State in 2010 by national recruiters. UT did not make the top 25.

Best Colleges & Universities - Ranked by Job Recruiters - WSJ.com

An engineer from either school will not have difficulty getting a job out of Texas.

The two schools/campuses have a vastly different feel to them. I think UT is more individual oriented, while A&M is more student body oriented. A&M is something like a giant fraternity, without the haughtiness of a fraternity. It is easier at UT to "be yourself" and ignore being a Longhorn if that's what you want to do.

I would take your child to an organized tour for prospective students. Let the university sell themselves to you. Don't go on campus and wander around. You need to learn the things you won't find out on your own. Of course each school has its strengths and weaknesses for specific degree programs.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
THIS. This is completely unfair for a 11% ranked at a school like Clements in Sugar Land who both the student and parents worked very hars vs a person ranked 8% at a small school with little competition. This is completely unfair. That being said, the very best students from the poor districts should have a shot, but limit it to 25 or 30% of class size (that may be top 3% or whatever) but not fill the entire class with the highly subjective class rank. If the policies were changed, UT and other Texas Universities could be even more powerhouses.

I'm just very surprised that Texas has the most liberal college admissions policies in the entire country.
I would hardly say that Texas has the most liberal admissions policy. Compare A&M and UT admissions to LSU, OU, or Alabama. It is easy to get into those schools.

I do not like the top 10% rule. I think it is not fair and I don't think it is producing more minority graduates at the tier 1 campuses. I do not believe the data shows improved graduation rates (though it has higher admission rates).

That top 11% Clements student would get in to A&M if they have a 1300 SAT.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,976,193 times
I don't think OP ever came back and said what her daughter wanted to do.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,490,733 times
I also think you should bring your daughter on tours of both universities.

I spent a lot of time on the UT campus when I was in high school, and I really didn't like that if I got a little lost I ended up in downtown. At A&M, I thought the students were incredibly friendly, and, even though the campus was very spread out, it felt like a small town. I was more at home at A&M.

After college graduation I moved to Austin where my then-husband went to UT for grad school.

They are both good schools. They are both located in good towns with a lot of opportunity for culture (College Station gets excellent touring productions) and which are fairly safe. The schools themselves have very different cultures, and that is where the student's individual preferences and comfort zone come in.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:49 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,366,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post

They are both good schools. They are both located in good towns with a lot of opportunity for culture (College Station gets excellent touring productions) and which are fairly safe. The schools themselves have very different cultures, and that is where the student's individual preferences and comfort zone come in.

Yes they are both excellent schools, but you are really stretching it to compare the two towns. CS is nowhere comparable to Austin. That's like comparing CS to Snook.

Having said that, there would be fewer distractions in CS and the student could concentrate more on his/her studies.

Better football in CS, however.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:04 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,976,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Better football in CS, however.
Temporarily, at least. As long as Mack stays in Austin.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:44 PM

20 posts, read 43,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have a child at both. So I think there are good reasons to attend either.

I think UT's national reputation is exaggerated, at least from the perspective of getting a job. A&M was ranked #2 in the US behind Penn State in 2010 by national recruiters. UT did not make the top 25.

Best Colleges & Universities - Ranked by Job Recruiters - WSJ.com

An engineer from either school will not have difficulty getting a job out of Texas.

The two schools/campuses have a vastly different feel to them. I think UT is more individual oriented, while A&M is more student body oriented. A&M is something like a giant fraternity, without the haughtiness of a fraternity. It is easier at UT to "be yourself" and ignore being a Longhorn if that's what you want to do.

I would take your child to an organized tour for prospective students. Let the university sell themselves to you. Don't go on campus and wander around. You need to learn the things you won't find out on your own. Of course each school has its strengths and weaknesses for specific degree programs.
Texas Tech is ranked #18 on that list, above schools like USC and Notre Dame...

I am a Tech alumn and can say from first hand experience that Tech is recruited very well and has excellent engineering, technology, and medical programs.

I chose Tech over A&M simply because I enjoyed the people and campus more. UT and A&M are not the only good choices in this state.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:58 PM

288 posts, read 434,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Temporarily, at least. As long as Mack stays in Austin.
It'll be a while before Texas gets this spot again. It has its cycles. A&M dominated the 90s. UT came back in the 2000s. And its A&M's turn again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas