Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:38 PM

6 posts, read 20,253 times

Advertisements

Hi,just want to let everybody know that there is a school zone here in Southtexas, that will blink its flashing lights for almost 2 hrs everyday.This is located in the between US83 and bus.83 at Alamo rd. Alamo city TX It's an elementary school,so meaning like in the afternoon school release will be like 3:00pm.So the flash lights supposed to start at 2:45pm to 3:15 most is 3:30pm right?Wrong it will not stop untill 4:30pm lolz its like free tickets for speeding in school zone for every cops in the areaThey even beat the flashing lights of high schools in the areaSomeone should do something about itBy the way the name is farias elementary school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 10:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I thought all school zones were two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. Now I'll have to go check the ones in this area and see if I'm simply misremembering.

Doesn't seem a huge price to pay for the safety of our kids - if the lights are flashing, don't speed! It's not like we really need to, after all.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 PM

6 posts, read 20,253 times
But the worse thing is that,motorist ignores the lights already. So 1hr is safer everybody obeys or 2 hrs that speeding in a school zone.Thats what i see over here,and kids are already been pick up in that 1 hr time.Just wasting electricity in my part,and lots of crazy speeding demons on the road.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:48 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan321 View Post
Hi,just want to let everybody know that there is a school zone here in Southtexas, that will blink its flashing lights for almost 2 hrs everyday.This is located in the between US83 and bus.83 at Alamo rd. Alamo city TX It's an elementary school,so meaning like in the afternoon school release will be like 3:00pm.So the flash lights supposed to start at 2:45pm to 3:15 most is 3:30pm right?Wrong it will not stop untill 4:30pm lolz its like free tickets for speeding in school zone for every cops in the areaThey even beat the flashing lights of high schools in the areaSomeone should do something about itBy the way the name is farias elementary school
They're two hours here in Dallas, as well. One thing to keep in mind, and if you don't have kids in the school you may have no idea, but many schools have before and after school activities and programs. I've always assumed that's why the school zones are timed like they are.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:56 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
They're two hours here in Dallas, as well. One thing to keep in mind, and if you don't have kids in the school you may have no idea, but many schools have before and after school activities and programs. I've always assumed that's why the school zones are timed like they are.
Not only that but in my area high school starts at 7:30, middle school at 8:50 and elementary at 8:00. High school dismisses at 2:30, middle at 3:50 and elem. at 3:10. If you have a middle school and an elem. school right by each other then it is very possible that the school zone in that area can be active for almost THREE HOURS STRAIGHT. It is all because of the times that the schools start and end. School zones typically go for 30-45 before school starts and 30-45 minutes after school dismisses.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Exactly. Activities during which children and teachers and parents will be arriving at/leaving the school.

That they are long is NO excuse for people to disobey the traffic rules regarding school zones. Or, rather, that's exactly what it is, an excuse, not a good reason to change the law just because some folks think it shouldn't apply to them.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Not only that but in my area high school starts at 7:30, middle school at 8:50 and elementary at 8:00. High school dismisses at 2:30, middle at 3:50 and elem. at 3:10. If you have a middle school and an elem. school right by each other then it is very possible that the school zone in that area can be active for almost THREE HOURS STRAIGHT. It is all because of the times that the schools start and end. School zones typically go for 30-45 before school starts and 30-45 minutes after school dismisses.
Yep, they're straggled in Dallas as well.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Exactly. Activities during which children and teachers and parents will be arriving at/leaving the school.

That they are long is NO excuse for people to disobey the traffic rules regarding school zones. Or, rather, that's exactly what it is, an excuse, not a good reason to change the law just because some folks think it shouldn't apply to them.
I agree. Going 20 for a couple of blocks isn't going to kill anyone. I hate seeing people speed through school zones and wonder if they would think it was worth it if they hit a kid.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
This is somewhat off the subject I realize, but even at 20 mph it can be dangerous due to the ignorance of some of these kids. We, the motorists, are doing everything in our power to ensure the safety of these school kids, yet there are those (kids) who will not initiate one iota bit of common sense on their part.

On two separate occasions since the beginning of this school year, I have had students step right out in front of my car. Are they bothering to cross in the crosswalk with the crossing guard? Nope! Do they even look to see if someone is coming? Nope! Just step off the curb and start across the street. Insane! Both times the kids have been on their cell phones. This was at the middle school both times it occurred.

I guess they are just following their parents example of when they go to the Wal-Mart store. I am completely amazed at the people who just literally cross the lane from the parking lot into the entrance of Wal-Mart without looking to the left or the right. Usually they are in the crosswalk, but 2 times out of ten they are not and although they straggle out across there like a bunch of ducks, they don't bother to even turn their heads to see if the vehicle coming straight at them is going to stop or not. I suppose they just assume it will since they are in that 'magic crosswalk'.

So, I'm assuming these kids have just grown up with that mentality and unlike when we were kids growing up and hearing that never ending remark..."look both ways before crossing the street", they are totally exempt from any responsibility.

These kids actually stepped right in front of me. I was probably going around 18 mph and hit my brakes hard to keep from hitting them. Now I am completely upset, my stomach is churning it scared me so bad. You ask, what about the kids? Both times, they never looked sideways and never took their eyes off their cell phones. Grrr! I wanted to get out of my car and go over and shake the crap out of them.

The police should ticket kids who are using their cell phones in the school crossing area as well as motorists. They should also ticket them if they don't bother to walk 20 or so feet down to the crosswalk and cross with the rest of the kids and the crossing guard.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I've had middle schoolers do that to me while I'm driving my daughter to her Elementary school so I can totally sympathize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: