Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2006, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 80,134 times

Advertisements

Would someone please tell me where I could get a list of the Dry counties in Tennessee. On a recent visit (to Crossville) we tried to buy a bottle of wine. We were told it was a dry county, and would have to drive to Rockford. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 07:08 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,489 times
Seirver Co., and Hawkins Co. are 2 dry counties although you can buy alcoholic beverages in Hawkins Co. but do not serve in restaurants.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:25 AM

176 posts, read 799,803 times
Default I'm sure the state

maintains a list of dry counties. Putnam and White counties are dry. I load up on wine, etc. twice or so a year when I find myself in Nashville (Davidson County). Beer, I believe, is sold everywhere.

Old 07-01-2006, 03:56 PM

45 posts, read 250,272 times
I have researched myself blind and cannot find a list of dry counties in Tennessee. Campbell County is dry: you can buy beer, but no wine, and no hard liquor. A local marina was having a margarita party a few weeks ago. Go figure.
We were told we can bring our own bottle into some local restaurants, but it appears when we move there, we will have to drive to Knoxville to buy my husband's bourbon and my beloved scotch by the case. Knox County is dry, too, but there is a liquor store -- Bob's -- in West Knoxville -- and maybe some others, too. Some cities opt out of their county's "dryness."
It all sounds pretty stupid and inconvienient, not to mention that the counties that don't sell alcohol are losing the tax revenues to those that do.
Whatever...
Cheers,
Maggie

Old 07-02-2006, 12:58 PM

421 posts, read 1,690,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebonnet
Would someone please tell me where I could get a list of the Dry counties in Tennessee. On a recent visit (to Crossville) we tried to buy a bottle of wine. We were told it was a dry county, and would have to drive to Rockford. Thanks
You could have bought a bottle of wine in Crossville if someone had told you about the Stonehaus Winery,a local winery that has exemption to sell in Crossville.I believe it sits right beside I-40 at the 317 exit(Crossville/Jamestown).

Very good wine...

firepower

Old 07-02-2006, 01:16 PM

9 posts, read 124,508 times
Moore County is dry and Ironically that is where Jack Daniels is made.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:16 PM

176 posts, read 799,803 times
Default Odd fact-Jack Daniels received a small exemption

from the "dry" provisions of the county in which it is located. You may buy ONE souvenir bottle if you take their tour!

Old 07-05-2006, 06:18 PM

5 posts, read 83,843 times
Default dry-wet

The question you're asking has a lot of caveats. When you say "dry" do you mean all alcohol, beer and wine included? Some cities (including Pulaski, where I live) have a few liquor stores, and a couple of places offer liquor by the drink. But the County (Giles) does not allow "liquor" sales, only beer sales. Wine falls in the liquor category. In other words, some counties may have one rule while an individual city within the county may have another. And there are neighboring counties to contend with. Also, "private" organizations will allow "members" to consume alcohol on-premises in otherwise dry areas. If you move 30 miles out into the country away from a city which is wet, only to find you're five miles from a neighboring county which is wet, where do you go? What about the local "Squirrel" Lodge? I do relocation investigations for individual/families and am familiar with these type of questions. If you haven't gone already , start here... http://www.tennessee.gov/abc/
The tennessee alcohol beverage commission. Email your question and they may help.....

Old 09-27-2006, 10:13 PM

7 posts, read 99,812 times
this web site in Kentucky may have a cousin in tennessee

http://www.abc.ky.gov/

There should be a Tennessee Alchohol department with a web site.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:19 AM

37 posts, read 188,396 times
Default Tri-Cities

Are any of the cities in the Tri-Cities area in a dry county? I need to stay away from such idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee