Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times

Advertisements

Gatlinburg is not dry. Pigeon Forge was dry but you can now get beer and wine by the glass in restaurants. I'm not sure about grocery stores. I'm not sure about the rest of Sevier County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:01 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably*Numb View Post
I live in Orlando, Florida, but I visit Tennessee frequently because I have friends and relatives there. I hate to refer to any members here as liars, but I do know for a fact Sevier County is not dry because I have purchased wine and mixed drinks at restaurants in Gatlinburg, and I know of two liquor stores in Gatlinburg as well. It may be a moist or limited county as opposed to a truly wet county, but Sevier County is by no means completely dry. I KNOW the following restaurants in Gatlinburg serve mixed drinks and wine because I've purchased it there: Park Grill, Hard Rock Cafe, TGI Friday's, and Ruby Tuesday's.

Of course, there is a lot more to Sevier County than merely the city of Gatlinburg.
Yes, Sevier County is indeed dry. The city of Gatlinburg allows liquor sales, but the second you leave the city limits of Gatlinburg and find yourself in unincorporated Sevier County, you cannot purchase liquor (legally).

Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 PM

41 posts, read 184,134 times
Default the future of dry counties?

I read thru some of the threads and I admire how passionate folks are re; their dry county status. While its certainly something to be proud of, many threads spoke in tones of "preservation" of that status.

I look at boomer articles that conservatively estimate that ten percent of the boomers will end up in Tn. A small percentage perhaps, but that's 10% of 75,000,000 people.

As those 7.5 million ppl pour in, they WILL bring their culture with them. Some will want to continue watching 6 college football games around a couple of pitchers on a Sat afternoon .... or get dressed up and continue going out on a Friday night - two stepp'n or salsa or whatever they're accustomed to doing.

It makes one wonder about the weather forecast for "dry" counties. When will a few key local politicians be bought....when will the natives become the minority (& thus their representation in local govt), and where will people relocate to who want to continue living in dry counties?

While some perceive sports bars or dance halls as vice or sin, ... others will see an unfilled need ..... an if enough money changes hands .... laws will be overturned, liquor licenses will be sold and unfilled needs will be recognised exactly for what they are --- business oportunities. As Bogart said in Cassablanca ... "maybe not today ... maybe not tomorrow... but someday - and for the rest of your life".

Old 06-22-2007, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 58,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yes, Sevier County is indeed dry. The city of Gatlinburg allows liquor sales, but the second you leave the city limits of Gatlinburg and find yourself in unincorporated Sevier County, you cannot purchase liquor (legally).
Ahhhh, so that makes Sevier County a moist county (a wet city surrounded by an otherwise dry county). I did not realize the rest of Sevier County is dry, then again, when I visit Tennessee and I am in Sevier County probably 85% of my dining is in Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg has several excellent restaurants, many of which I have eaten at since I was a small child and a few of the waitresses there know me by name.

I have another county to add to everyone's list of dry counties--Henderson. I am familiar with that county because my maternal grandmother lives there. Well, technically it's classified as dry, but I think it is in actuality a moist and limited county, as the CITY OF LEXINGTON has legalized the sale of BEER AND WINE, but liquor is still illegal in Lexington and outside Lexington all alcohol is illegal. The nearest truly wet county (or I think the county is wet, at least the city of Jackson is) is Madison, Jackson being 25 minutes away from Lexington.

Other counties I am sure of their status are Shelby (wet), Davidson (wet), Knox (wet), Hamilton (wet), Rutherford (wet), Williamson (wet), Sumner (wet), Bradley (moist), Coffee (moist), and Marion (dry).

Last edited by Comfortably*Numb; 06-22-2007 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-22-2007, 11:07 AM

Knox County is wet.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:20 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,095 times
We used to own a Union 76 station in Piney Flats (later it became Marathon) The county allowed beer sales but in the deed it stated that no alcoholic beverages were ever to be sold from said property. A CVS store now resides on the property.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 58,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Knox County is wet.
Indeed, and thanks for reminding me, and I cannot believe I forgot this. The Turkey Creek area, which is outside the city of Knoxville, has restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages as well as liquor stores. Well, alright, I didn't forget that the Turkey Creek area is wet, as I have purchased alcohol there. I forgot that it was outside the city limits of Knoxville.

I corrected my previous post. Since alcohol is purchasable outside the city limits of Knoxville (such as Turkey Creek), Knox County is wet, not moist.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:29 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,325 times
Well, Fawkes, if there's one thing that this thread has hopefully showed you it is that not all Tennesseans live up to the friendly, welcoming, slow-paced neighbors brimming with Southern hospitality stereotype.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably*Numb View Post
Indeed, and thanks for reminding me, and I cannot believe I forgot this. The Turkey Creek area, which is outside the city of Knoxville, has restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages as well as liquor stores. Well, alright, I didn't forget that the Turkey Creek area is wet, as I have purchased alcohol there. I forgot that it was outside the city limits of Knoxville.

I corrected my previous post. Since alcohol is purchasable outside the city limits of Knoxville (such as Turkey Creek), Knox County is wet, not moist.
Actually, I think you can now purchase beer and liquor in Knoxville.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:53 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,094 times
All the unincorporated portions of every county in Tennessee are dry in terms of retail liquor/wine sales. State law requires that retail liquor sales be confined to incorporated municipalities of at least 1,000 persons and that a referendum of the municipality has passed which indicates a public desire for retail sales. A similar referendum is required for liquor-by-the-drink but it is a county-wide referendum and not limited to municipalities of 1,000 or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee