Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 08:32 PM

89 posts, read 153,528 times

Advertisements

how has this aged?

Old 01-24-2022, 08:53 PM

11,436 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffydogg View Post
I'm originally from NC, but I lived for several years in Knoxville.
I moved to Calif for 4 years, Now My family is moving just outside of Knoxville in Oak Ridge and I have no house to sell.

Anyways, I've read so many posts about people hating their states (NY, CA, FL, Etc) They are selling their overpriced houses for 500k and up and they're moving to TN to buy a house straight out for cash.

That has to have an negative effect on the native population.
I know of alot of folks that live and work in TN and can't buy a house.
But folks move here and snatch up good houses for cash.

I don't mean to be that negative, but at what point does TN start to become the NY, CA and Fl? Overcrowded, Crime Ridden , Overpriced?
What you are describing is just the natural ebb and flow of life for people trying to find better work, higher pay, or better quality of life.

Places that are undiscovered or under the radar, generally have lower cost of living but not great amenities. As such, quality of life is not as good for many people as it is where there are many amenities. This can be shopping, entertainment, travel, medical. You name it. As places become discovered, they hit a point whare cost of living is still relatively low while amenities become acceptably available. At that point, many people vote with their feet by leaving high cost areas to come to these now discovered areas.

A lot of it has to do with jobs and business climate. Where the business climate is excellent and jobs are plentiful and growing, the sky is the limit on growth for those cities. At some point, yes they become overrun with people and density starts to get so high that big city problems emerge and then worsen.

FWIW, your desciption sounds more like Nashville than Knoxville. By most metropolitan city standards, Knoxville is still relatively small. I wouldn't call it overcrowded or overpriced either. My problem is self-made. I like Farragut and the surrounding area, and homes are expensive. I want to live where I want to live. There are many other areas of Knoxville that are more affordable with reasonable house costs, given the severe lack of inventory we are currently experiencing.

It is just a really bad time to be home shopping. Complete sellers market in every way, from low inventory to the work-from-homers invasion to supply chain issues.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
lol, i can just picture it, then it will be i really try to fit in but i just can't.

TN has a lot of open land but i often wonder the same thing, if all the incoming go to east tn or some to middle it could make for a few problems, as someone said a few threads back some in tn can hardly afford housing as it is so if the influx drives prices way up which it has in spots that's not going to be good.

now if you add in those such as the tires on the roof lady, it isn't going to be long & there's going to be a lot of feudin goin on.
I wonder what the impact will be on the states health care system if most of the incoming are all retired & be up in age soon.

East Tennessee is frequently recommended in City Data forums, which makes it sound like east Tennessee is the most popular region, but the 2020 census indicates that middle Tennessee is driving growth, not east Tennessee. Indeed, Knoxville is growing and the tri-cities are chipping in with east TN growth, but look to Nashville as the centroid for Tennessee population growth.

Census: Tennessee sees big growth in, around Nashville

Areas in and around Nashville saw a population boom over the last decade, while the greater Memphis region saw low or no growth, or lost people.

Tennessee’s growth was driven in large part due to Middle Tennessee, where multiple counties making up the Nashville metropolitan statistical area registered the 19th-highest collective rate among its peers nationally at 20.9%. It’s reflective of a trend in the data showing that much of the fastest growth occurred in the nation’s largest cities and their suburbs.

Some areas of East Tennessee, meanwhile, also outpaced the state’s average population increase. Knox County, which includes Knoxville, jumped up by 10.8%, with Loudon County increasing by 13% and Sevier County, a Smoky Mountains tourism destination, up by 9.4%. Hamilton County, which includes Chattanooga, neared the state average with 8.8% growth, and nearby Bradley County grew by 9.8%.

https://apnews.com/article/tennessee...34aa3e9a44a80c

Old 01-24-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
how has this aged?

Tennessee Pop.
2007 - 6,173,000
2020 - 6,910,840

Nashville Metro Pop.
2007 - 903,000
2020 - 1,989,519

Knoxville Metro Pop.
2007 - ?
2020 - 879,773

Old 01-24-2022, 10:11 PM

89 posts, read 153,528 times
do you have the statistics on Florida? I want to move to Tennessee for affordability and a slower paced living but I'm afraid it's going to just become another Florida. I know this sounds weird... you know... me trying to escape gentrification by *MOVING* to a new area... idk what to do anymore though.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:34 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
1. I don’t know where everyone is coming from but I can say that hay fields in my area of my Ag county are disappearing and filling up with houses which will no doubt become occupied with city and suburban people who want to bring their ways with them — that we don’t want.

2.Although I have learned this is becoming common all over the U.S. it still had me turning purple when I recently received a letter and blank purchase agreement in the mail to buy 17 acres of our small farm. The real estate broker was from San Antonio, Texas.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:47 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It is just a really bad time to be home shopping. Complete sellers market in every way, from low inventory to the work-from-homers invasion to supply chain issues.
Truth right here.

I just hope the newcomers don't 'ruin' the peaceful areas like they do in many places. I know of quite a few people from CA who moved to different places in TN....I'd guess mostly for the tax friendliness but also to get away from these densely populated areas. These particular folks were in law enforcement and are probably not going to make any waves by complaining about the place they've moved to (!) like I've seen here in VT.

We still favor the smaller burgs and yesterday I was reminded of Jonesborough and the storytelling place they have their (famous). I really liked that little town ALOT. We'll see.
Lots of good VRBO rentals for the road trip in and around the area. We don't mind driving outside of town, which is probably where we'd want to live anyway, if we can find something we can afford.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
1. I don’t know where everyone is coming from but I can say that hay fields in my area of my Ag county are disappearing and filling up with houses which will no doubt become occupied with city and suburban people who want to bring their ways with them — that we don’t want.

2.Although I have learned this is becoming common all over the U.S. it still had me turning purple when I recently received a letter and blank purchase agreement in the mail to buy 17 acres of our small farm. The real estate broker was from San Antonio, Texas.
Yes I have been seeing the disappearance of farms and fields for the last decade being replaced by subdivisions and gated communities and townhouses. It seems to be happening faster and faster. This is in the country and what was left in the towns, Cookeville in particular and to a lesser extent Crossville. There has also been a great increase in traffic and the infrastructure doesn't seem to be able to keep up. Even in the small town of Monterey I set at a stop sign trying to make a left hand turn for 10 minutes and wonder who are all these people, where did they come from and where are they going.

And I also receive those letters wanting to by my vacant 11 acres adjacent to my residence property. What is hilarious is that the last one offered less than what I paid per acre nearly 20 years ago .

Old 01-25-2022, 04:40 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes I have been seeing the disappearance of farms and fields for the last decade being replaced by subdivisions and gated communities and townhouses. It seems to be happening faster and faster. This is in the country and what was left in the towns, Cookeville in particular and to a lesser extent Crossville. There has also been a great increase in traffic and the infrastructure doesn't seem to be able to keep up. Even in the small town of Monterey I set at a stop sign trying to make a left hand turn for 10 minutes and wonder who are all these people, where did they come from and where are they going.

And I also receive those letters wanting to by my vacant 11 acres adjacent to my residence property. What is hilarious is that the last one offered less than what I paid per acre nearly 20 years ago .
The kicker to our 17 acres is there might MIGHT be one place that will perk for a single family dwelling. It’s up on the high ridge where lightening and straight line winds do a stellar job every spring of taking out trees on the boundary fence, lolol

We have beautiful horse property but thankfully not prime for housing

It does my heart good that the 90+ acre horse & cattle farm down on the other road was discovered to not have any perkable land. That meant the intention of a developer purchasing it, was squashed - poor developers, lollollol

That’s about the only hope for farms in Tennessee- the land won’t perk for housing

Old 01-26-2022, 07:34 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,896 times
Quote:
Yes I have been seeing the disappearance of farms and fields for the last decade being replaced by subdivisions and gated communities and townhouses.
So you are blaming the developers? Why not blame the farmers who sell the land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee