Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:39 AM

92 posts, read 367,885 times

Advertisements

Is anyone out there ever lived of been to Harriman TN?
I just saw a house on a mls listing and I am interested in any feed back about the area. The house is located on 702 Unaka Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 12:21 PM

141 posts, read 981,334 times
Harriman/Rockwood are in Roane County, on the edge of the Cumberland Plateau.

When we drive to Nashville or west of there, we have to go up the escarpment at Harriman/Rockwood. The view from the top of the plateau is astounding.

The towns are somewhat quaint and are a throwback. Not much to do in the area, if you're into the nightlife or restaurant thing. But it has some beautiful spots, and the land is pretty cheap overall. They also have a community college there.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:34 PM

75 posts, read 347,667 times
I don't know a lot about Harriman, except that they have a nice area with historic homes. Some places in other areas look kind of trashy. One time when I was driving through they were having a car show. The one thing I was impressed with was when we stopped at a gas station and they actually had a full service attendant. He pumped our gas and cleaned our windows. I can't even remember the last time that has happened.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:00 PM

61 posts, read 582,561 times
Default Harriman

I've been to Harriman several times, visiting friends. I like the area. Virtually all of your shopping needs can be taken care of nearby, though during the holiday season many people drive the 20 or so miles to the malls in west Knoxville. I've heard, but don't know for certain, that property taxes in Harriman are on the high side, and that they are lower in Kingston. You're liable to find less expensive homes in Rockwood, but most of them seem to be located in neighborhoods that are in a state of decline...which, come to think of it, is the case anywhere. There just seems to be more such neighborhoods in Rockwood than in the other two towns. The three towns are located in a valley, so there aren't the magnificent vistas that you might find elsewhere. That's not to say, however, that there aren't beautiful areas to be seen, because there are. Bear in mind, I'm only an occassional visitor. Residents may not agree with my observations. Hopefully, you'll hear from some of them. I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say as well.

Frank

Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 PM

92 posts, read 367,885 times
I think the last time I had anyone do full service on my car was the 70's. Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:56 PM

24 posts, read 109,235 times
Hi, I have been to Harriman looking to buy a house. My husband and I did not like the look of the area. It kind of look broken down. Kingston is a much nicer place but that is just our opinion.
Donna

Old 03-31-2007, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,969 times
Smile Harriman

Okay, I have lived in Kingston and Harriman for three years. Both cities have there own short comings for individuals that have lived in large cities. Kingston is nice with the view of the lake. Property taxes are higher thier. Harriman, true it is an old city and we still have a full service gas station. But when you really explore the area it has some very beautiful property. Our taxes are less than Kingston but our utilities are a little higher especially if you have natural gas.

We have small children and they love it. Its nice to feel safe when they are out playing. That's something that I can't say about Knoxville. However Knoxville is just about a 30 minute drive to shop and dine out. But, Roane county is growing. We are getting new businesses and restuarants in.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:54 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Just wanted to check in on this subject. Harriman remains on our short list of towns to visit. We come from NJ but live in a rural neighborhood and love it because it's nothing like the "outside world" which is only 20 minutes away.

We don't care about nightlife (unless it's hours away) or restaurants, or even Walmart! (LOVE walmart but don't mind driving to it--we do now, about 1/2 hour).

Anyone have any additional info on Harriman? We're looking at some acreage that's very inexpensive in an area called "Woodcutter's Paradise". There's a lot of acreage (22 acres) but we only need one homesite (I assume you can find a buildable lot on 22 acres).

Is anyone familiar with this area? The entrance is a dirt road (we're SO used to dirt roads...not a problem) and I have the feeling it's up a hill so might be a mountainside. But, still I imagine there'd be a site somewhere there we could build one day.

Anyone with any additional info on Harriman, or Woodcutter's Paradise in particular?

Thanks again, so much, and we're so looking forward to visiting in a few weeks!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 12:19 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
I am the saddest person ever that:

1. Nobody knows anything further about Harriman.

or

2. Nobody who lives in Harriman has an internet connection!

lol

Old 04-21-2007, 12:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I want to know why someone would say that they LOVE Wal-Mart!

Geesh!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee