Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:26 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,425,229 times

Advertisements

Hunting and fishing stuff...plus groceries! What's not to love? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 08:40 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,394,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I want to know why someone would say that they LOVE Wal-Mart!

Geesh!

For the answer, go to a rural area where there is no Wal-Mart and take note of the prices people have to pay for necessities.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Harriman, TN

For outdoorsy types Harriman is in a great location in the shadow of the Cumberland Plateau, near the Catoosa Management Area and not all that far from Big South Fork.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,368,749 times
I agree with Ridgerunner here. I too hate Wal-Mart, but sometimes, especially when you are like me, have 3 growing teenage boys at home eating...and eating....and eating,...... and growing,....... and growing. You have to watch the budget and Wal-Mart is just a must sometimes.
Hubby and I want to make up T shirts that we only wear when going there that says "We are stuck in Wal-Mart hell and can't get out!"
LOL

Old 04-21-2007, 09:04 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,425,784 times
Wal-Mart. Yeah, save that penny now but pay for it down the road.

Wal-Mart goes into American companies and tells them that they must lower their prices or they won't buy their products.

If Wal-Mart doesn't buy your products you are doomed so the companies start cutting corners; making the products with cheaper materials. Wal-Mart comes back and says it has to be cheaper. Eventually, companies have to close up their US factories and start making the products in China in order to meet Wal-Mart's demands. So Florence, who has been at the sprinkler factory for ten years, is now without a job.

Maybe she can get a job at Wal-Mart! She can be a door Nazi!

It's true, but no one cares. Got to save that penny.

I'm in a lovely mood today, aren't I? I love you all, but believe me, this is the truth about Wal-Mart.

Read the book "The Wal-Mart Effect."

Old 04-21-2007, 04:34 PM

61 posts, read 583,092 times
I think perhaps people who are doing their best to get by on a limited income, don't have the luxury of taking into account factors other than their ability to provide for themselves and their families. And for the elderly and/or handicapped, it must be a Godsend to be able to buy food, clothing, household goods, precriptions, eyeglasses, etc., in one location; and to be accommodated for with a motorized shopping cart. I have many friends and acquaintances who are vehemently opposed to Walmart...all of whom are blessed with comfortable lives, are relatively free of financial worries, and have the option of shopping most anywhere they please to.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:46 PM

Yeah, that's me. Comfortable. So comfortable, that I lived in a tent when I first moved here, before I rented that falling down mobile home that I now call home.

That book I read? I got it at the library.

I'm 45 and never owned my own home.

I may be poor but I have principles. I am also not short-sighted.

Everyone loves to give the "Wal-Mart is a godsend for the poor" line.

Wal-Mart is for Wal-Mart, which is as it should be. I just wish we would all look at the long-term consequences.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:10 PM

61 posts, read 583,092 times
You're right, hiknapster, WalMart IS for WalMart...and Kroger is for Kroger, Shell Oil is for Shell Oil, and Allstate is for Allstate. Even our hospitals remain "in business" only if they turn a profit.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:17 PM

I SAID:

"Wal-Mart is for Wal-Mart, which is as it should be."

I give up.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yeah, that's me. Comfortable. So comfortable, that I lived in a tent when I first moved here, before I rented that falling down mobile home that I now call home.

That book I read? I got it at the library.

I'm 45 and never owned my own home.

I may be poor but I have principles. I am also not short-sighted.

Everyone loves to give the "Wal-Mart is a godsend for the poor" line.

Wal-Mart is for Wal-Mart, which is as it should be. I just wish we would all look at the long-term consequences.
Some items can be bought more cheaply at chains like Dollar General and Family Dollar. And companies that specialize, like Home Depot, Walgreen's and the electronics chains, have done very well in competition with Wal-Mart. But it looks like we're going to be buying Chinese imports whether we buy them from Wal-Mart or from someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee