Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 08:13 AM

30 posts, read 35,887 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have spent countless hours on moving research, and am perhaps more confused than I was when I started. I posted in the Knoxville forum, thinking what we were looking for was only in the appalachian counties around Knoxville. That has left me with only a couple counties (which come with the warnings of leery of outsiders, drugs, and in some counties a dismal feeling- according to posts on city data). We're planning a trip for July and were going to check out Anderson Co, Campbell Co, and the surrounding area. I was reading posts in another TN area and was floored to know that Perry County has waterfalls, hills, creeks, etc. Coming from a very flat state, it's hard to understand the natural features of TN (and how this can exist outside of the "mountain" counties). So my question is - do I need to expand my search area? Does this exist anywhere in TN (not just outside of Knoxville):
Affordable land that can be farmed (think 10 acres/8k an acre or so), rural community with good quality of life (farmers, people living simply, maybe bartering goods, etc- not perfect but also not crime or drug ridden with a dismal atmosphere), natural features like creeks, hiking areas, land that is not all flat, 30 or so minutes to atleast a nice little town with basic needs, 45 or so to a city if jobs were needed. Thank you for any help. It has been so overwhelming to sort through every comment on avoid this county for this reason, and this city for that reason. This is a paramount decision for our family, and we're not trying to rush into a mistake, but we also have to pick a direction to move forward, so any advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 08:56 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking about topography of TN? If you check the archives (or google) there are some good explanations of the topography across the 3 divisions of the state. But yes hills, waterfalls, creeks, etc. occur outside of the Knoxville area.
Tennessee is not unlike other states that have a diversity of people, it has crime and drug problems just like any other state.

I'm not sure what type of jobs you would be looking at (if needed) but I would start there.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:55 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
1. Oh my goodness, you need to broaden your search. I am in Middle Tennessee and my mantra is that everyone can live on a hill if they want to.

2. I’m not sure where you find quality tillable land for 8K/acre, unless it’s in a financially strapped county that has lost industry (like Perry County). Good land in my Ag county is about 15K/acre, ATM.

3. Perry County does not have a lot to offer in terms of necessary shopping. You might check out their Chamber of Commerce page, or any C of C page for an area you’re interested in

https://chamber.perrycountytn.com/in...-stay/shopping

Old 04-26-2023, 01:14 PM

2mares, my husband build and remodels homes. He also farms. I am asking for any suggestions for a county or city that meets this criteria: Affordable land that can be farmed (think 10 acres/8k an acre or so), rural community with good quality of life (farmers, people living simply, maybe bartering goods, etc- not perfect but also not crime or drug ridden with a dismal atmosphere), natural features like creeks, hiking areas, land that is not all flat, 30 or so minutes to atleast a nice little town with basic needs, 45 or so to a city if jobs were needed.

Normashirley, thank you so much for the info. I knew Perry County probably wouldnt work but, are there any counties that you think could meet my criteria? (or close to it- I understand what youre saying about needing a higher land budget)

Old 04-26-2023, 01:30 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
The issue you will have, OP, is that Tennessee's real estate is one of the highest surging states in 2023, right now, in the country. If you can hold off a purchase, and look in 2024 and beyond, prices should start coming down some more.

Tennessee is one of the most desirable states for many retirees to move to, due to the shorter winters, beautiful mountains and greenery with 4 seasons, and zero state income tax.

As-a-result, real estate prices are red hot. Tennessee is still one of the states where prices are not crashing - yet. .

Here's a good video on this topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3h68qhdg6k

Old 04-26-2023, 02:59 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_lf View Post
2mares, my husband build and remodels homes. He also farms. I am asking for any suggestions for a county or city that meets this criteria: Affordable land that can be farmed (think 10 acres/8k an acre or so), rural community with good quality of life (farmers, people living simply, maybe bartering goods, etc- not perfect but also not crime or drug ridden with a dismal atmosphere), natural features like creeks, hiking areas, land that is not all flat, 30 or so minutes to atleast a nice little town with basic needs, 45 or so to a city if jobs were needed.

Normashirley, thank you so much for the info. I knew Perry County probably wouldnt work but, are there any counties that you think could meet my criteria? (or close to it- I understand what youre saying about needing a higher land budget)
This link may be of some help to you.

https://acretrader.com/resources/ten...ural%20revenue.

Where it says:

“The latest USDA Ag Census revealed that farmers in Tennessee grew and sold $3.8 billion dollars worth of agricultural products, of which, just over 30% was from the sale of Cattle, and Poultry and nearly 30% from Corn and Soybeans.

The top 5 counties in terms of agricultural sales were Bedford County, Weakley County, Robertson County, Obion County, and Gibson County. These counties make up 19% of Tennessee's total agricultural revenue.”

I understand you don’t want to do large scale farming, but if you can wait as @jjbradleynyc suggested, you might be able to find a part of a farm that is being auctioned off at a decent price. Everything cycles with time:’

I would look at foreclosures and sheriffs sales, since your husband can rebuild a home if he has to.

When buying raw land, you have to be aware:
1. The land will perk where you want the home.
2. The Rights are there for power poles if someone else’s property has to be accessed.
3. If county water is available, be sure the rights to dig across someone else’s yard to get to yours are there.

#2 & #3 should be in writing.

Old 04-26-2023, 03:19 PM

67 posts, read 107,653 times
Check out White County - Sparta in particular. There are loads of waterfalls in the area, along with Sunset Rock and hiking galore. Land looks to be running ~8k+ an acre for unimproved (quick look at Zillow). Taxes are reasonable (we're in Putnam, and ours our double what neighbors in White county pay), plenty rural, with a grocery store in town and ~30 minutes to Cookeville for big shopping and potential jobs. Nashville area is about 80 minutes away.

Re: the drug issues....they're everywhere. There's a house on our way to town that we call Chernobyl because it's chaos and owned by a meth-head (or his family, who are prominent locals, we don't know), and it's a massive eyesore. We avert our eyes and keep driving - neighbors have met the people who live there and claim they're very nice druggies. I'll pass. It's one of those things you learn to live with - I wouldn't move in next to them, but the house across the road is on the bluff and sold for over 450k, so I guess they don't mind pulling out of their driveway and seeing that hot mess.

We have cameras and dogs and haven't had any issues at all, and we're VERY rural - it's 10 minutes to the main road.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:10 PM

367 posts, read 584,518 times
You might want to look at Cannon county as well. It's a rural county on the edge of the Nashville Metro area it has lots of hills and the small town of Woodbury. It also has some flat farmable areas as well. Prices are probably closer to $15,000 per acre though.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:06 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
I was born and raised in the Nashville suburbs, and lived 18 years in Memphis. Unfortunately the Nashville area is getting to be California expensive. For work, I traveled the entire State of Tennessee and am familiar with just about every county.

Right now, Cookeville is one of the hottest cities in the south-on I-40 80 miles east of Nashville. Tennessee Tech University provides culture, and it's a regional center for shopping. Healthcare is decent, but Nashville is close enough to get world class healthcare. Two magnificent lakes are west and north of Cookeville, and rivers and waterfalls abound.

And Knoxville is really starting to hop with new residents. 20-30 miles out should get you some farmland and Knoxville has a solid workforce.

We live outside Huntsville just 5 miles over the state line. Middle Tennessee counties along the southern state border are very, very beautiful, and farmland is readily available. The county seats I'm talking about are Pulaski, Fayetteville and Winchester specifically. They're close enough to one of the premier jobs counties in the U.S. here in Huntsville.

You'll need to get feet on the ground to see what you're looking for. Tennessee is a great state and one that's growing exponentially. And few counties are places I wouldn't recommend moving to.

Old 04-27-2023, 11:48 AM

JoeJunior, when I read you have traveled the state and are familiar with just about all counties, that was about the best thing I could read lol. I understand if you don't have the time, but if you do - could I ask you a few specifics?

What are the couple counties that are an absolute no?
What county around Cookeville would you recommend for my criteria? (I think I have read poor things about Fentress County and the Crossville area)
What counties around Knox would you suggest (have read poor things about Scott and Cocke specifically and that most counties surrounding Knoxville are hard for transplants). Would you recommend Anderson, Union, Campbell (where I'm currently looking)? Or something else?
Of the cities surrounding these areas, is there any one community that stands out in particular as just an awesome community for what Im looking for?
Thank you so much. Even if you don't have time to help further, your post was very helpful.

Last edited by JMT; 04-27-2023 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Please keep this about just Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee