Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 03:13 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times

Advertisements

Southern Middle Tennessee. However, I think some of your desires are a bit unrealistic. The idea of "people living simply, maybe bartering ..." is more of a city-based fantasy of rural life, not day to day reality. But there is plenty of rural land there. Some of the most beautiful state parks in the country (Fall Creek Falls, South Cumberland, Fiery Gizzard) are in that area. As well as waterfalls, hiking, fishing (multiple rivers and reservoirs), and ready access to large cities of Nashville, Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, and Huntsville. Because of the presence of some large universities scattered throughout (Tenn Tech, Middle Tenn State, Vanderbilt, Univ of Tenn Space Institute, plus others) and some high-tech industry in Nashville, as well as Arnold Engineering Complex, Redstone Arsenal, and Marshall Spaceflight (yes the latter two are in Alabama, but many employees live in Tennessee); (I'm leaving out ORNL because that's in the Knoxville area and you asked for other areas) there is a wide range of education in the population. The hobby farmer next door might also be a PhD.

You might want to check out Bedford, Coffee, Franklin, Warren, Lincoln, and Moore (Jack Daniels) counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 04:56 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_lf View Post
JoeJunior, when I read you have traveled the state and are familiar with just about all counties, that was about the best thing I could read lol. I understand if you don't have the time, but if you do - could I ask you a few specifics?

What are the couple counties that are an absolute no?
What county around Cookeville would you recommend for my criteria? (I think I have read poor things about Fentress County and the Crossville area)
What counties around Knox would you suggest (have read poor things about Scott and Cocke specifically and that most counties surrounding Knoxville are hard for transplants). Would you recommend Anderson, Union, Campbell (where I'm currently looking)? Or something else?
Of the cities surrounding these areas, is there any one community that stands out in particular as just an awesome community for what Im looking for?
Thank you so much. Even if you don't have time to help further, your post was very helpful.
I absolutely agree with those who have recommended the Cookeville area. While Cookeville/Putnam County is too expensive for your criteria, prices fall rather quickly in the surrounding counties. In addition to White County that elizaloo recommended, I'm going to recommend Jackson County TN. You can easily find 10+ acres for $8000/acre or less, and it'll be beautiful. Jackson County has no building restrictions whatsoever, so you can do whatever you want on your property. It is a very mountainous county with a lot of water features (huge lake, rivers, waterfalls). The county seat, Gainesboro, has the basics such as Dollar General and a few restaurants, but you're only a half hour'ish from Cookeville which has tons of shopping, restaurants, jobs, regional hospital, the state's flagship tech university, etc. In addition, Jackson County (unbelievably) has some of the fastest internet connections on the planet with 10gig available even in the most remote hollers of the county.

Here's a sampling of acreage for sale right now in Jackson County:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...60634091_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/S...41552279_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0...61779765_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...60804249_zpid/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-27-2023, 07:05 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
What are the couple counties that are an absolute no? I would never live west of the Tennessee River in West TN.
What county around Cookeville would you recommend for my criteria? (I think I have read poor things about Fentress County and the Crossville area) I would say no to Fentress County. Cumberland County has some fabulous golf communities, and a great Summerstock theatre program. The place is full of Ford & GM retirees, but the locals are a little rough socially. I could live there, however.
What counties around Knox would you suggest (have read poor things about Scott and Cocke specifically and that most counties surrounding Knoxville are hard for transplants). Would you recommend Anderson, Union, Campbell (where I'm currently looking)? Or something else? Scott County is north of Oak Ridge and not a great society. Same with Cocke County east of Knoxville. There are just other counties close by that are nicer places to live. Anderson County has the fabulous Norris Lake and I-75 can get you into Knoxville fast. Union County is south of Norris Lake and it's also easy to get into Knoxville from there. See below about Campbell County.
Of the cities surrounding these areas, is there any one community that stands out in particular as just an awesome community for what Im looking for? I like around Dandridge and Morristown. They have interstate highways, and the Smokey Mountains are close.

In the early 1940's, my father traveled all over East Tennessee with TVA installing electric lines to all the region. He always laughed about riding down the road outside LaFolette and seeing a guy on the side of the road twirling his sidearm on his finger. The place at that time was like the Wild West. I had an older friend in Wartburg that had a Kohler powered generator on the back porch and a bunch of car batteries that he'd have to charge so they'd have lights after dark.

There's no substitute for feet on the ground. You really need to get out there and see what the society is like in these communities. All the region is drop dead beautiful. And of course the price of land and homes is another issue. I understand Knoxville's on the upswing with incoming residents, and property prices are increasing.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:04 AM

296 posts, read 265,385 times
I second Cannon County.
I made a radial life change in 2020 and bought 50 acres on a property that has a main residence and a guest house. Moved from suburban Orange County California

I have hay fields that allow me to fall under agricultural property and get lower property taxes.
The guest house is an Airbnb
Next weekend there will be an AKC sanctioned dog sport event here too.

Lots to do. And I’m 24 minutes from Publix, Sprouts etc.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:09 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
What are the couple counties that are an absolute no? [b]I would never live west of the Tennessee River in West TN.
Might I ask why?..
We lived in Obion County for eleven years, about as far West in Tn as you could get and loved it. The people were friendly, cost of living fairly low, and it was a sportsman paradise!

Old 04-28-2023, 08:11 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
[quote=JoeJunior;65206972]What are the couple counties that are an absolute no?

Any county outside the big city of Nashville. May be still parts of Williamson to find 10 acres of tillable land. May find a developer coming around to buy the property.

Wilson county may be replacing Williamson as a hotbed for development. Providence may look more like Cool Springs in 20 years.

Maybe come visit & find a Farmer's Market. Hope they return with the end of Covid. There you will find a group of local farmers that bring their products to a market. Should be one day a week for a particular area. Can be sponsor by local business chamber of commerce.

Old 04-28-2023, 10:54 AM

30 posts, read 35,887 times
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I know you really have to visit a place to know, but with a family, limited finances, and a full time job- the ability to do that is somewhat limited and has to be strategics. I finally feel like I have some direction as to where to really look, what to eliminate, and where to visit. As someone who has been looking at these counties online for years until they all start to run together, your input has been SO helpful. Thank you.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:33 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Might I ask why?..
We lived in Obion County for eleven years, about as far West in Tn as you could get and loved it. The people were friendly, cost of living fairly low, and it was a sportsman paradise!
I lived 18 years in Memphis and traveled West TN extensively on business. It's a beautiful place if you're a farmer. But with only 1,119 people, Obion County is just a little quiet for me. Heck, few people in West Tennessee have ever been in the far northwest county. Some people there have to drive thru KY to get their license plates in TN.

I lastly lived in Williamson County, TN. It's #1 in income and where many movie stars and music stars live. There's no place in Tennessee that's close to matching the quality of life there.

Last edited by JMT; 04-29-2023 at 08:26 PM..

Old 04-30-2023, 04:49 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaloo View Post
Check out White County - Sparta in particular. There are loads of waterfalls in the area, along with Sunset Rock and hiking galore. Land looks to be running ~8k+ an acre for unimproved (quick look at Zillow). Taxes are reasonable (we're in Putnam, and ours our double what neighbors in White county pay), plenty rural, with a grocery store in town and ~30 minutes to Cookeville for big shopping and potential jobs. Nashville area is about 80 minutes away.

Re: the drug issues....they're everywhere. There's a house on our way to town that we call Chernobyl because it's chaos and owned by a meth-head (or his family, who are prominent locals, we don't know), and it's a massive eyesore. We avert our eyes and keep driving - neighbors have met the people who live there and claim they're very nice druggies. I'll pass. It's one of those things you learn to live with - I wouldn't move in next to them, but the house across the road is on the bluff and sold for over 450k, so I guess they don't mind pulling out of their driveway and seeing that hot mess.

We have cameras and dogs and haven't had any issues at all, and we're VERY rural - it's 10 minutes to the main road.
^ This!

I immediately thought of White County when I read your OP. It's close enough to shopping and it has the hills and farmable land. It's close to a lot of natural beauty. Interstate access to Knoxville and Nashville. Close enough to Chattanooga.

Old 06-14-2023, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,233 times
This is exactly what thousands of other people are looking for. Make the trip and see everything for yourselves. Have you checked into western North Carolina?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee