Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 01:51 PM

16 posts, read 17,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Old post but why does everyone from Florida think of Tennessee as the frozen north?
LOL. I don’t think Tennessee is the frozen North and I’m a South Florida guy. Certainly Tennessee gets much colder than Florida but it does not seem unbearable like Minnesota or somewhere. I actually find it to feel colder in Florida than in Tennessee due to the humidity levels.

Here’s an example; I was in Ohio several years ago during the winter. I wore thermals, jeans, sweatshirt and a beanie in Ohio. The coldest it got down to was 7 degrees. While it was definitely cold, it was bearable. The morning I left Dayton, it was so cold they had to de-ice the plane. A few hours later I landed in Tampa where it was 83 degrees. A few days later we had a cold front come through South Florida and the temps dropped to just below freezing. I worse the same clothing I wore in Ohio and froze my butt off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 04:39 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,514,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwalters41 View Post
Hello!
My family and I are thinking of relocating from FL to TN. My husband is a Fire Fighter, so I am curious if there are any in here that can give insight on benefits and pay and which areas are the best to work.

We have no experience in the snow, so looking for an area that gets mild winters. The temps don't scare us, its the actual snow fall we have no idea how to maneuver.

FL is just getting too congested, and over built with very little infrastructure. So looking for a quiet area to raise our 2 yo.

I am an Ultrasound Tech, so if there are any healthcare workers in here, please let me know good areas and a range of income.

ANY information on where to go would be great.
really appreciate it

Oof! Should have read beyond the OP! That person is not active here.

I'd suggest in order...
1. Suburban Nashville as those cities are growing very fast. The pay may lag FL in certain areas, but places like Franklin, Brentwood, Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, Nolensville are comparatively wealthy areas.
2. Knoxville and larger suburban towns such as Maryville, Farragut, Sevierville. Knoxville is a safe and larger city. Their pay structure may be best.
3. Suburban Chattanooga. The city is OK, but places like Cleveland, Soddy-Daisy, and Collegedale are growing rapidly
4. Some mid-size towns in Middle/East TN, such as Cookeville, Tullahoma, Crossville, Shelbyville, Tri-Cities

I don't know if you'd like West Tennessee, but it's flat, very hot and not nearly as prosperous as the rest of the state.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:06 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,338,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Oof! Should have read beyond the OP! That person is not active here.

I'd suggest in order...
1. Suburban Nashville as those cities are growing very fast. The pay may lag FL in certain areas, but places like Franklin, Brentwood, Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, Nolensville are comparatively wealthy areas.
2. Knoxville and larger suburban towns such as Maryville, Farragut, Sevierville. Knoxville is a safe and larger city. Their pay structure may be best.
3. Suburban Chattanooga. The city is OK, but places like Cleveland, Soddy-Daisy, and Collegedale are growing rapidly
4. Some mid-size towns in Middle/East TN, such as Cookeville, Tullahoma, Crossville, Shelbyville, Tri-Cities

I don't know if you'd like West Tennessee, but it's flat, very hot and not nearly as prosperous as the rest of the state.
Missing from this list is Clarksville. Being so close to KY gives it more chance to have some snow & cold. About 40 miles to Nashville.

As for West Tennessee the only city is Memphis & environs. May be too much crime & poverty there. The rest of West Tennessee doesn't have the kind of development. A lot depends what kind of job & career you want.

Old 09-30-2023, 04:28 PM

235 posts, read 288,666 times
It could be people are not familiar with this web site. I am living in the Sarasota area and because I have a life long friend serving as my boots on the ground I'm looking in either Lincoln or Franklin County i.e. Tullahoma, Fayetteville, etc. Unfortunately after Ian last year I've already decided to move out of state since I'll be retiring in the early part of next year.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:13 PM

2,534 posts, read 1,873,272 times
Same here. I've looked at Knoxville but the urban core areas seem blah in all the major metros honestly. Not a consistent tree canopy and leans more bare East Tennessee.

Unfortunately all off TN has gone up in price as well.

Old 10-02-2023, 08:35 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,918,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Same here. I've looked at Knoxville but the urban core areas seem blah in all the major metros honestly. Not a consistent tree canopy and leans more bare East Tennessee.

Unfortunately all off TN has gone up in price as well.
I am not sure what you mean by “bare” East Tennessee. This is an aerial drone view of Knoxville. Doesn’t seem bare to me. It definitely has gotten more expensive, though. https://youtu.be/qQ8bCWh5l9Q?si=KHfo423i_px2LF6S

Old 10-02-2023, 09:32 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,338,581 times
Quote:
Old post but why does everyone from Florida think of Tennessee as the frozen north?
Most times not for the snow. In 20 years only one time did Yankee snow lay around for a week.

What you may hear is the ice underneath that makes getting around difficult. Need to wait next day for ice to melt. sure, TDOT uses brine so you get home before ice in the road freezes. Then there is salt to try & melt the ice.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:02 PM

9,476 posts, read 10,826,194 times
Quote:
I’ve noticed that too. To Floridians who never see snow and cold I guess it is to them. However new arrivals from the real “frozen north” (Wisconsin, Michigan etc) show up looking for palm trees and wear short sleeves and shorts on a cold 50 degree January day.

We have a mild climate…. no extremes. It’s a relatively easy climate in spite of the somewhat hot humid summers. Our 40 and 50 degree highs in winter would be called fall and spring in the north. Floridians will recognize our hot humid summers but here they do NOT last 7 months.

Old Today, 04:27 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,269,737 times
Quote:
Cause they’ve never lived north of the mason dixon? I lived in Ohio for 60 years before moving to Florida and know only too well about -35 wind chills. Pretty sure the folks in Tennessee have never dealt with that.

If not for my wife’s health, which is considerably better since moving to Florida, I would have stopped in the mountains of Tennessee for retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee