Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 03:48 PM

188 posts, read 253,564 times

Advertisements

How much are plates? We will be moving to Tenn this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 07:07 AM

529 posts, read 490,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post

The switch from the old plates to the new ones is free (and mandatory). If you want to find out what the cost of registering your vehicle will be, do an online search for the county or city you will be moving to for registration fee's. Search will give you the govt website with all the info for calculating the cost.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:56 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Not a fan of dark background tags. Clashes with certain car colors.
I agree, but it still blends in with more colors that GREEN does. Those green plates didn't really go with ANY color that weren't white or black. I felt sorry for people who had red cars and had to stick that green plate on there. Looked like Christmas 12 months out of the year.

Old 12-10-2021, 08:13 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Much better looking than the current one.
I agree. This new one is plane and straight foward, which is better than busy and hectic looking. My only gripe is I wish they had done dark characters on a white background instead of the opposite, but it still looks better than a GREEN liscense plate; the color green alone is enough to make me prefer the upcoming ones over the current ones. Green plates clash with SO MANY different car colors much worse than a dark blue-almost black background plate does.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:19 AM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Tennessee registration renewal fees vary depending on the type of vehicle you own.

Regular license plate: $26.50.
Personalized license plate: $56.50.
Regular motorcycle plate: $19.50.
Personalized motorcycle plate: $56.50.
Handling fees (varies by transaction).
NOTE: Additional vehicle registration fees and taxes vary by county. For more information, please contact your local county clerk or refer to the TN DOR website.

Get your plate & date sticker at the county clerk office. New for 2022 you will not need a $9 smog test.
There are over 100 special personalized license plates available.

Get your driver license renew at TN Department of Safety, $28.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:06 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Tennessee registration renewal fees vary depending on the type of vehicle you own.

Regular license plate: $26.50.
Personalized license plate: $56.50.
Regular motorcycle plate: $19.50.
Personalized motorcycle plate: $56.50.
Handling fees (varies by transaction).
NOTE: Additional vehicle registration fees and taxes vary by county. For more information, please contact your local county clerk or refer to the TN DOR website.

Get your plate & date sticker at the county clerk office. New for 2022 you will not need a $9 smog test.
There are over 100 special personalized license plates available.

Get your driver license renew at TN Department of Safety, $28.
I have a question about the personalized plates you might have an answer to. Is the fee for those a one-time thing, or do you pay an additional fee every year when you renew? I moved here from Idaho, the fees were recurring there. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:24 AM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have a question about the personalized plates you might have an answer to. Is the fee for those a one-time thing, or do you pay an additional fee every year when you renew? I moved here from Idaho, the fees were recurring there. Thanks.
Yes, prices listed are annual fees. The amount you pay to the county supports county government. With over 100 personalized plates available some funds support a charity while other support parks, wildlife, other government functions. When you pick one from the list you can see specifically where the money goes.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:08 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Yes, prices listed are annual fees. The amount you pay to the county supports county government. With over 100 personalized plates available some funds support a charity while other support parks, wildlife, other government functions. When you pick one from the list you can see specifically where the money goes.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I came across this site showing the specialized plates. https://www.tn.gov/revenue/title-and...se-plates.html

Old 11-30-2022, 09:15 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
I paid $76 when I moved to Knoxville in early 2021. I paid $65 to renew this year.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:19 AM

730 posts, read 813,444 times
$5 to renew in Putnam County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee