Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,093 times

Advertisements

Looking to retire to an Eastern Tn lakefront area in the next few years. We definitely want non-HOA lakefront property. I know that because of the TVA system, many lakes have lake levels that can change dramatically, and in some cases result in lake levels so low in the "off season" that you can't boat and you have mud as your view.

One of the reasons for moving south to TN is so we can still boat in the spring and the fall (and winter??? Is it too cold to boat all winter??). Right now we have lakefront property in upstate NY and it's really only warm enough to boat from mid-May to mid-September. We want a longer "boating season"....

What eastern TN lakes stay "full enough" to have a nice, long boating season?

Any suggestions for towns or areas to consider? Rural-ish areas are better. We're not looking for "city amenities". A Walmart, grocery store and medical facilities within 30 minutes is all we need, haha.

TIA!

(Please don't hold it against me that we live in NY. Believe me, we don't like NY either, lol.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 07:44 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredmommy View Post
Looking to retire to an Eastern Tn lakefront area in the next few years. We definitely want non-HOA lakefront property. I know that because of the TVA system, many lakes have lake levels that can change dramatically, and in some cases result in lake levels so low in the "off season" that you can't boat and you have mud as your view.

One of the reasons for moving south to TN is so we can still boat in the spring and the fall (and winter??? Is it too cold to boat all winter??). Right now we have lakefront property in upstate NY and it's really only warm enough to boat from mid-May to mid-September. We want a longer "boating season"....

What eastern TN lakes stay "full enough" to have a nice, long boating season?

Any suggestions for towns or areas to consider? Rural-ish areas are better. We're not looking for "city amenities". A Walmart, grocery store and medical facilities within 30 minutes is all we need, haha.

TIA!

(Please don't hold it against me that we live in NY. Believe me, we don't like NY either, lol.)
It's not like the lakes drain down to nothing. If you purchase on the main channels of the lakes you will be fine. When you are outside of the main channel is when you run into problems with the draw downs.

So, first, decide where you want to be and then go from there with an associated lake. Just so you know, main channel properties are generally valued higher in large part for the lake level but also for other reasons.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:54 PM

Thanks very much for your reply.

What other reasons make main channel properties more valuable besides lake level?

Do you have any opinions in general on Douglas Lake or Cherokee Lake?

Do different lakes have different “vibes”?

Old 04-12-2021, 08:07 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
That's a good question. Lived here all my life and never given that much thought. Just always seen the drop off after the draw-down, which can be quite a bit in the lake mountain areas.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:03 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredmommy View Post
Thanks very much for your reply.

What other reasons make main channel properties more valuable besides lake level?

Do you have any opinions in general on Douglas Lake or Cherokee Lake?

Do different lakes have different “vibes”?
I prefer South Holston and Watauga Lake due to the scenery vs. Cherokee. I would take Douglas or Norris over Cherokee as well.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:46 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
I can't think of any TN lakes that turn into mud flats in winter. We get far too much rain for that to happen. This is our water source. TVA manages the lakes for power generation, transportation, etc. The local water co processes it for private use. Now if some of that rain turned to snow we'd be in big trouble. There will always be periods of dry hot summers or other seasons when we could use some rain to keep a supply.

Different lakes do have a different vibe. Depends if you want to fish or do something else. AFAIK TVA owns most of the lakefront property. They moved lots of folks when the dams were built. Percy Priest is a lot different from Old Hickory & Lake Barkley.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:19 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Coves off the main channel can/will be muddy flats for a majority of the winter months on TVA lakes. TVA keeps the floodgates of their dams open until the spring. But the timetable for this is different for different locations along the river. The poster above recommends you find property on the main channel, as that will ensure you have navigable waters year-round. The channel never goes so low that it's mud. Traffic still flows all the way upriver year-round.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:31 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Hmmm, drive I-40 over Douglas lake in winter and you see a lot of mud flats. Even on the main channel.

I'd suggest the OP plan a scouting trip in winter.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Hmmm, drive I-40 over Douglas lake in winter and you see a lot of mud flats. Even on the main channel.

I'd suggest the OP plan a scouting trip in winter.
Good advice, thanks!

Old 04-16-2021, 06:44 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
You need to be on one of the main navigable channels, not just a "main channel". The TN river, Cumberland, parts of the Hiawassee, and a few TN tributaries around Knoxville.

TVA is responsible for
1. Navigation (really the Army Corp of Engineers, but they mandate TVA maintain minimum levels in navigation channels)
2. Flood Control
3. Power generation

The winter draw-down is for flood control, so they have extra storage available for spring rains. Some lakes draw down a lot, others very little. Chickamauga has about 7-ft of drawdown; the deep main channel and most of the lake stays underwater, but it exposes mud flats on some shallow tributary arms (Wolftever Creek, etc.) and a few islands. Nickajack Lake only varies 1 ft or so throughout the year to maintain navigation levels through the tight gorge west of Chattanooga.

Lakes on non-navigable rivers vary the most because they don't have the ACE limitations. Some of the upper lakes can go up or down many 10's of feet. Even worse, during periods of drought, they intentionally drain the upper lakes to use that water to keep navigable channels at minimum levels.

Another problem is that much of the land adjacent to TVA water is owned by TVA or the government so you can't buy a house there anyway. Lots of controversy over some of those "purchases".

There's a TVA Lake Info App that has lake levels.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 04-16-2021 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee