Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 08:42 AM

4 posts, read 8,120 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much An Einnseanair for explaining that so thoroughly.

I did actually look at the TVA app with lake levels, but I didn’t understand it.

If you don’t mind me asking, since you seem very knowledgeable, what would be your top lake picks for someone who wants to have a long boating season and who would lake that has a vibrant, nice culture - not a lake full of rich, snobby old farts but not a party lake either?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 09:22 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
Douglass Lake is the only lake I know of that runs into a mud flat in places

Old 04-19-2021, 04:23 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,785 times
@wiredmommy my knowledge is more about TVA's system than any specific lake culture. I've been on a boat on Chickamauga Lake (just east of Chattanooga) a grand total of 3 times, and Nickajack maybe 3 times. Once through the Chickamauga lock.

You said East Tennessee, so starting at Nickajack.

Nickajack: West of Chattanooga. Little variation in elevation near the dam, but the elevation at the eastern end of the gorge section can go up or down quite a bit depending on releases at Chickamauga. Not enough for mud flats, but it might flood your yard/dock. The current is definitely a "river" and not a "lake" during high water events. VERY narrow, so the wake from commercial traffic can be a factor. No real inlets or bays except for Rankin Cove and Bennet Hollow. VERY limited road access. There's a road, but it takes a long long time to get to some parts of the lake. This lake crosses time zones, with the eastern part in Central, western part in Eastern.

Chickamauga: East of Chattanooga. Significant winter/summer elevation change. Lots of inlets and bays, probably each with their own "culture", some are mudflats in the winter. Lots of summer boating traffic from Chattanooga. Includes the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge (famous for sandhill cranes), and the Hiwassee River arm. Above the Hiwassee it is more of a river. Both Sequoyah and Watts Bar nuclear plants are on this lake.

Watts Bar: Not near anything, little town of Spring City. I've never been on the water, but I've been to the dam a few times. Looks interesting, with tons of inlets, bays, islands, etc. I see a LOT of lake communities along the shore.

I don't know anything about the lakes farther east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee