Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 05:18 PM

75 posts, read 87,707 times

Advertisements

I recently left Alaska and have been traveling through the US for the past 8 months. Whenever I mentioned to folks about possibly relocating to Tennessee, I’m told that I need to be careful where I choose due to race issues. This is come from both whites and minorities and include the larger cities. I’ve only been to Memphis and didn’t see any of that but was only there for a few days doing tourist stuff. Obviously I don’t want to believe this. I know not every State is perfect (obviously). So how are the race relations in TN? Where would a minority feel more included or what area should one avoid? I’ll be visiting myself later this spring.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:53 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
I've lived near Maryville for the past 5 plus years and I just don't see a problem with overt racism it around here.
My suspicion is that it would more of an issue in the Memphis area and I base that on things I heard while living in Arkansas from people who had moved away from Memphis and its suburbs.

There will be some biased people anywhere/everywhere of course. That's just human nature.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:42 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I guess it depends on who you ask.

The recent "pushing out" of ETSU basketball coach Jason Shay in Johnson City was ostensibly due to powerful community leaders not liking Shay kneeling with his players. If you were to ask his players, I'm sure they feel the issues are racial.

I rarely see it in day to day life, but I'm white and fairly affluent. I probably have a different perspective than the small % of minorities in this area.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:00 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatguyinAK View Post
I recently left Alaska and have been traveling through the US for the past 8 months. Whenever I mentioned to folks about possibly relocating to Tennessee, I’m told that I need to be careful where I choose due to race issues. This is come from both whites and minorities and include the larger cities. I’ve only been to Memphis and didn’t see any of that but was only there for a few days doing tourist stuff. Obviously I don’t want to believe this. I know not every State is perfect (obviously). So how are the race relations in TN? Where would a minority feel more included or what area should one avoid? I’ll be visiting myself later this spring.
A bi-racial family from Pennsylvania moved to my neck of the woods near Cookeville about a year ago. The husband is AA, the wife is white. They have said over and over that this is, by far, the least racist place they have ever lived in. The husband, in particular, said people seem to go out of their way to be friendly and welcoming, even complimenting them on having such beautiful kids as they take walks around the neighborhood. Since it's still fashionable to stereotype Southerners, they were warned before moving here that they wouldn't be welcomed, that the kids wouldn't have any friends, that the dad would be shunned, etc. It's been the complete opposite.

Likewise, a bi-racial family in my church in Cookeville has said similar things. The dad is Nigerian, the mom is lily white. They've experienced zero racism here, and the kids are thriving.

This doesn't mean that racism doesn't exist, but in much (most?) of Tennessee it's such a non issue, it's almost insulting to hear people bring it up. If you want to play it safe, stick to the larger towns and college towns.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-02-2021, 09:18 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
What particular race issues? Were these people from Tennessee?

Old 04-02-2021, 09:48 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,010 times
I'm black and lived in a very rural part of TN for 3 years (2014-2017) - Lawrence County (94% white last time I looked up the stats). I never had issues with race, and there was actually a fair amount of interracial couples and children, considering the limited amount of minorities.

People were very friendly, but it was tough making actual friends unless you have kids and/or go to church; however, that seems to be less of an issue in the actual cities of TN. I didn't feel like race was the problem, though.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:49 AM

75 posts, read 87,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What particular race issues? Were these people from Tennessee?
Some were and some weren’t. It was the “I’d be careful moving there” speech. I know it’s a loaded question and not trying to offend people in or from TN. It was just that these 8 people in different locations, not knowing each other all said the same thing. One was an Asian restaurant owner who was my age and he warned me about Gatlinburg. One was a retired cop from another state telling me the police(no specific town mentioned) were part of the problem. I suspect it’s the how the south has always been or seemed less welcoming to minorities. I’ve spent a portion of my life in VA and TX.
I suspect it’s more of a class issue rather than a race issue. More affluent areas in the lower 48 tend to be “less” racist at least on the surface.
As mentioned I plan to visit more of the state later this spring other than Memphis.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:52 AM

902 posts, read 807,969 times
Folks in southern Virginia (Tazwell area and surrounding) are a special breed if you get my drift, and are near the TN / VA state line.

I have seen similar “types” in the areas surrounding Johnson City like Bristol, Kingsport, Norton, Greenville and even here in Erwin, but TBH gets much more prevalent as you head north into Virginia.

My job is home based but I also have a company vehicle and some weeks put a 1000 miles on it while traveling throughout the region.

Will say that the area surrounding Greenville, TN seems to a lot of those that you may be describing, but southern VA is on a completely different level than most areas here in Eastern Tennessee. Hope that helps.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:47 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I am 32 years old and grew up in a very rural part of Northeast Tennessee. Racism is real, pervasive, and rampant in places like that. I'm talking Newport, Camp Creek, Del Rio kinds of places.

If you're living in urban or suburban Nashville or Chattanooga or Knoxville, it may be that you don't experience any more racism than in any other part of the country. (I'm white, so it's hard for me to contextualize, as I don't have those lived experiences...)

What I can say is that the population in a state like Tennessee is less educated about what institutional racism looks like, which has been cast into deep relief recently by the events at ETSU as mentioned previously in this thread.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:31 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Some were and some weren’t. It was the “I’d be careful moving there” speech. I know it’s a loaded question and not trying to offend people in or from TN. It was just that these 8 people in different locations, not knowing each other all said the same thing. One was an Asian restaurant owner who was my age and he warned me about Gatlinburg. One was a retired cop from another state telling me the police(no specific town mentioned) were part of the problem. I suspect it’s the how the south has always been or seemed less welcoming to minorities. I’ve spent a portion of my life in VA and TX.
I suspect it’s more of a class issue rather than a race issue. More affluent areas in the lower 48 tend to be “less” racist at least on the surface.
As mentioned I plan to visit more of the state later this spring other than Memphis.
What specific race issues did they warn against.
Im not offended. We get this kind of question all the time but I have yet to know what kind of issues people are having with race and/or sexual orientation that they not experienced in any other part of the country or that they have overwhelming had in Tennessee.
I have been in TN for over 40 years. I live in a very rural town but went to school and worked most of my life in Cookeville, a college town. I have seen the area become much more diverse over the years but I have never seen or even read of any racial issues. Even in unincorporated Mayland there are Indians, Asians, Blacks and interracial couples and no racial issues.

This is why I am curious as to examples of racism people have experienced in Tennessee.
Gatlinburg is a tourist town so you will have people from all over there. I cant imagine locals who livelyhood depends of tourism money are going to display overt racism. My brother is also a policeman. I have heard lots of stories but never anything related to racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee