Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 11:38 AM

36,597 posts, read 30,939,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I am 32 years old and grew up in a very rural part of Northeast Tennessee. Racism is real, pervasive, and rampant in places like that. I'm talking Newport, Camp Creek, Del Rio kinds of places.

If you're living in urban or suburban Nashville or Chattanooga or Knoxville, it may be that you don't experience any more racism than in any other part of the country. (I'm white, so it's hard for me to contextualize, as I don't have those lived experiences...)

What I can say is that the population in a state like Tennessee is less educated about what institutional racism looks like, which has been cast into deep relief recently by the events at ETSU as mentioned previously in this thread.
Can you describe the rampant racism you saw in those areas. Discrimination, violence, hate, racial slurs

Old 04-02-2021, 03:02 PM

367 posts, read 586,902 times
People searching out racism will find it everywhere. Tennessee is no more/less racist than any other place in the US.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:17 PM

35,120 posts, read 31,396,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Can you describe the rampant racism you saw in those areas. Discrimination, violence, hate, racial slurs
You see a lot of Confederate flags on cars and on display throughout northeast TN. That will offend some people. That’s one of the most visible things. Most people why fly that flag don’t really “hate” anyone, but it’s an uncomfortable feeling for a lot of folks.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:11 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,532,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You see a lot of Confederate flags on cars and on display throughout northeast TN. That will offend some people. That’s one of the most visible things. Most people why fly that flag don’t really “hate” anyone, but it’s an uncomfortable feeling for a lot of folks.
I disagree. I do not see a lot of Confederate flags on cars and on display in northeast TN. As a native I also can say that I see less than ever before over the years.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:04 PM

902 posts, read 810,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many people feel the same way (feeling uncomfortable) with gay pride flags, bumper stickers and such in their face every day but learn to deal with it.

Should go both ways, but the Cancel Culture of today seems to only want things their way, and cry the loudest when they don’t get it.

We see both sides and accept both, although many not so much.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:35 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,532,372 times
This thread has started to veer off topic which is a really good sign that the OP has been answered. The OP will be visiting TN later this spring; these posts are a good preview and an in person visit is always recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee