Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 08:11 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,623 times

Advertisements

i am going through the same thing in Oregon. I have to take the idiotic ORELA Elementary Subtests I and II despite passing the NTE in Nevada back in 2001. Oregon treats out-of-state teachers like absolute garbage. The idiots who require these tests think teachers are supposed to be "experts in the subject areas," which is ludicrous for elementary ed. The ORELA ES II has a ton of algebra on there, and there is no way I will ever pass it. I haven't taken that nonsense in 25 years. I am nearly 64 now. The state is also idiotic because you can only get a waiver if you teach five years "in the subject area," which means you can literally have 20 years of teaching experience in a variety of subjects in another state, and you'd still have to take the stupid tests.

I have six years in Nevada, three years in sped, 1 year as Title I, and two years teaching second grade plus a master's degree in elementary education. That's not even mentioning the tons of experience tutoring, substituting, and being a teacher assistant, including intervention, which in other states requires you be a certified teacher and not classified. Not good enough.

It infuriates me to no end this racket Pearson and Oregon's TSPC have.

It might be time for teachers to consider suing these licensing boards. "Reciprocity" should mean just that. You are good in one state in a subject area, you should be good in all fifty states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 10:26 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
I've been saying this for years. In the states where there are shortages, they require applicants to pay through the nose for these tests even though the applicants already have graduate degrees in the specific certification fields, passed their original state exams in general and subject areas, work experience, and other credentials, but many states will only accept their own tests and it is usually more than one exam. Many in the states where there are teacher surpluses would be happy to fill the open positions if they didn't have these barriers. Go figure.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 546 times
Has anyone figured out how to get their NTE scores from the 90's.
I am currently trying to get my license in a different state and they are requesting them, I would rather not take the Praxis if I dont have to. Thank you

Old 03-25-2024, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 39 times
Has anyone been able to retrieve their old NTE scores from anywhere? HELP ME PLEASE!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching