Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 05:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Bahaha! That is some pretty slick math there.
I think this is fuzzy math. I'm waiting for the day that a parent tells me that a 62 rounds to a 100 if you round to the hundreds place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 02:47 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
I swear...today was the looooooongest day. Three more days of school left in the school year.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I swear...today was the looooooongest day. Three more days of school left in the school year.
Hang in there. It's almost over.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:52 AM

I just have to vent. I have a parent out for my hide because I "GAVE" their son a D. I explained that his grades average to a D. I explained all the things I do to help my students EARN a higher grade. They are calling me unprofessional because I refused to cancel vacation plans to meet with them face to face and discuss this matter. IMO there is no matter to discuss. I double checked the calculations and the grade is a D that is not even close to consideration for bumping the grade. The only reason I can think of for a face to face meeting when I've already answered all questions via email is they want to badger and bully me into changing the grade and I'd rather go on vacation...

Parents like this make me want to pull my hair out. Why does your little DAHLING deserve a grade bump when I have parents 18 kids who are closer to the next grade up than your child is who aren't complaining to me about how I GAVE their child a poor grade. (I did have one do some creative math that involved several steps of rounding up ). They have pointed out how bad this will look on college applications. Um, yes it will but I DIDN'T earn the grade. HE DID.

Seriously, the semester is over. Your child earned a grade you don't like. I think the person you need to have the face to face with is in your home. And if you think it's unprofessional of me not to cancel my vacation plans to meet on this issue, tough chit.

And people wonder why teachers drink....

Old 06-22-2014, 10:57 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,235,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I just have to vent. I have a parent out for my hide because I "GAVE" their son a D. I explained that his grades average to a D. I explained all the things I do to help my students EARN a higher grade. They are calling me unprofessional because I refused to cancel vacation plans to meet with them face to face and discuss this matter. IMO there is no matter to discuss. I double checked the calculations and the grade is a D that is not even close to consideration for bumping the grade. The only reason I can think of for a face to face meeting when I've already answered all questions via email is they want to badger and bully me into changing the grade and I'd rather go on vacation...

Parents like this make me want to pull my hair out. Why does your little DAHLING deserve a grade bump when I have parents 18 kids who are closer to the next grade up than your child is who aren't complaining to me about how I GAVE their child a poor grade. (I did have one do some creative math that involved several steps of rounding up ). They have pointed out how bad this will look on college applications. Um, yes it will but I DIDN'T earn the grade. HE DID.

Seriously, the semester is over. Your child earned a grade you don't like. I think the person you need to have the face to face with is in your home. And if you think it's unprofessional of me not to cancel my vacation plans to meet on this issue, tough chit.

Your contract is over for the year. If they wanted to address this, they should have done it weeks ago.

This is one of the reasons I don't always answer the phone in the summer. I once had a parent trying to get me to change a grade from the year before so that her son could get a Division I scholarship. It wasn't even a matter of a failing grade. He needed a B instead of a C in my course. I told everyone who would listen that I wasn't about to get in the middle of an NCAA grade-changing scandal. Now I make sure that all my athletes know to register with the NCAA Clearinghouse so that they can be aware of the requirements up front. Of course, they don't do it. I hold the coaches accountable.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Your contract is over for the year. If they wanted to address this, they should have done it weeks ago.

This is one of the reasons I don't always answer the phone in the summer. I once had a parent trying to get me to change a grade from the year before so that her son could get a Division I scholarship. It wasn't even a matter of a failing grade. He needed a B instead of a C in my course. I told everyone who would listen that I wasn't about to get in the middle of an NCAA grade-changing scandal. Now I make sure that all my athletes know to register with the NCAA Clearinghouse so that they can be aware of the requirements up front. Of course, they don't do it. I hold the coaches accountable.

In our school a D is passing so this isn't a question of him failing the class. Even if it was, this is a student who didn't even attempt the extra credits that was offered. Seriously, if you don't care about your grade to take every opportunity to improve it, don't expect me to bump your grade just because you want it bumped.

I have a feeling this grade will get changed just to shut the parents up but I won't be the one asking for the grade change. As far as I'm concerned if you're going to bump this grade, there are 18 others that need to be bumped too to be fair.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:47 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:

So, the parents first noticed now (a week after schools out) that their teen was doing D work in your class? Where were they in March when the six weeks grades went out and in late April when the midterm grades were posted ( or whatever your school does)?

Our local HSs have online grades, with 24 hour access, so that students & parents can check at any time what assignments are missing and what the grades were for each assignment and test. It cuts down on a lot of parental complaints like this one.

They should get an F in parenting.

PS. If it was me I wouldn't answer my phone if the school calls, just in case some jerk of an administrator "suggests" that you postpone your vacation to talk to this parent.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
So, the parents first noticed now (a week after schools out) that their teen was doing D work in your class? Where were they in March when the six weeks grades went out and in late April when the midterm grades were posted ( or whatever your school does)?

Our local HSs have online grades, with 24 hour access, so that students & parents can check at any time what assignments are missing and what the grades were for each assignment and test. It cuts down on a lot of parental complaints like this one.

They should get an F in parenting.

PS. If it was me I wouldn't answer my phone if the school calls, just in case some jerk of an administrator "suggests" that you postpone your vacation to talk to this parent.
Apparently, they thought I would give him a C instead of a D because that looks better on his transcript. They are of the opinion that I give grades as opposed to grades being earned. I've explained how the grade was computed but they tell me that's not the problem. They want a face to face meeting so I can explain why I GAVE him a D. Um, because that's the grade he earned.

Sadly, the district will probably roll over and change the grade just to shut them up. I'm not going to change it. I'd need to change 18 others if I changed his. I have kids as close at 0.3% away from rounding up to the next grade up and didn't change their grades. There has to be a cut off somewhere. This student is smack in the middle of the D range. In fact he's closer to a D- than the C- his parents want me to give him so his transcript isn't ruined by a D.

Seriously, this should have been discussed with your child long before the end of the term.

Hmmm. Maybe I should email two of dd's teachers and ask why they GAVE her D's....Actually, I should email them and thank them. My stubborn little daughter has to learn that no matter how stupid she thinks the work she's given to do is, she has to do it or there are consequences. I wish she'd learned this earlier but I certainly want her to learn it before she heads off to college.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:23 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Apparently, they thought I would give him a C instead of a D because that looks better on his transcript. They are of the opinion that I give grades as opposed to grades being earned. I've explained how the grade was computed but they tell me that's not the problem. They want a face to face meeting so I can explain why I GAVE him a D. Um, because that's the grade he earned.

Sadly, the district will probably roll over and change the grade just to shut them up. I'm not going to change it. I'd need to change 18 others if I changed his. I have kids as close at 0.3% away from rounding up to the next grade up and didn't change their grades. There has to be a cut off somewhere. This student is smack in the middle of the D range. In fact he's closer to a D- than the C- his parents want me to give him so his transcript isn't ruined by a D.

Seriously, this should have been discussed with your child long before the end of the term.

Hmmm. Maybe I should email two of dd's teachers and ask why they GAVE her D's....Actually, I should email them and thank them. My stubborn little daughter has to learn that no matter how stupid she thinks the work she's given to do is, she has to do it or there are consequences. I wish she'd learned this earlier but I certainly want her to learn it before she heads off to college.
Seriously? This is NOT Wayne State Med school we are talking about.

Have you tried to get a gig at WSU? The med school loves Prof that have this iron-like style of grading.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Seriously? This is NOT Wayne State Med school we are talking about.

Have you tried to get a gig at WSU? The med school loves Prof that have this iron-like style of grading.
Where do you draw the line in bumping grades? There has to be a line or we just give everyone an A and grades mean nothing.

I round up if a student is within 0.5% of the next grade but not if they're within 0.6% of the next grade so yes, my student who ended up 0.3% away from the round up point wasn't rounded up because she was actually 0.8% away from the next grade up. She missed the round up point.

As I've pointed out, if I bump this student's grade, I need to bump 13 others but that would put even more kids close to the bump point...should I bump them too?

I give my students every opportunity to earn a higher grade. I give test retakes, I accept corrections on labs and quizzes for recovery of 50% of missed credit and I offer extra credit. And you think there's something wrong with my having a point where I no longer round up????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching