Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 05:10 PM

297 posts, read 246,196 times

Advertisements

Which cities in the country:

Have a high demand for well qualified special education teachers/diagnosticians and many openings.

AND ***

Offer a QUALITY teaching environment.
For example LD/EMH/MR class no more than 10 students. Support by a GOOD principal
for SpEd teachers who recognizes the real prerequisites of high quality training in this field and is not just looking for a babysitter.

Do not make you go through an lengthy, bureaucratic and PITA application process?

My quess: VERY few.

Last edited by Steveareeno5; 11-18-2022 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 08:59 PM

50,855 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
Which cities in the country:

Have a high demand for well qualified special education teachers/diagnosticians and many openings.

AND ***

Offer a QUALITY teaching environment.
For example LD/EMH/MR class no more than 10 students. Support by a GOOD principal
for SpEd teachers who recognizes the real prerequisites of high quality training in this field and is not just looking for a babysitter.

Do not make you go through an lengthy, bureaucratic and PITA application process?

My quess: VERY few.
How do you define what I bolded above?

Why are you only dealing with cities?

And what is this all leading to? You don't seem to make a final point.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:14 PM

9,155 posts, read 6,202,297 times
Since you are returning to live in the US because you need medical attention (as stated in previous threads), is this inquiry related to your job inquiries?

Old 11-23-2022, 10:23 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,691,004 times
Getting into a sweet deal like that's not going to be easy, so

"Do not make you go through an lengthy, bureaucratic and PITA application process?"

is almost certain to be FALSE.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Getting into a sweet deal like that's not going to be easy, so

"Do not make you go through an lengthy, bureaucratic and PITA application process?"

is almost certain to be FALSE.
Same with "no more than 10 students." My wife was a paraeducator for 15 years before she got burned out and became the "lunch lady" until she retired. The trend is inclusion, so more often than not, in our district the special ed kids are in the regular classrooms with the rest of the 20-25, and just get some pullout time or a para with them for parts of the day. This District is rated #3 best in the state. For those that cannot be integrated into the classroom, due to behavior issues or severe disabilities, several schools have a Learning Center with 15-18 students.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:06 PM

Default It's not only inclusion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Same with "no more than 10 students." My wife was a paraeducator for 15 years before she got burned out and became the "lunch lady" until she retired. The trend is inclusion, so more often than not, in our district the special ed kids are in the regular classrooms with the rest of the 20-25, and just get some pullout time or a para with them for parts of the day. This District is rated #3 best in the state. For those that cannot be integrated into the classroom, due to behavior issues or severe disabilities, several schools have a Learning Center with 15-18 students.
SpEd has become what it used to be BEFORE 94-142: A dumping ground for undesirable, usually behavior problem kids. Some of these students are NOT mentally ill, they are just rotten kids (sometimes with rotten parents) that will drive most teachers bonkers so they try to get rid of them through SpEd.

94-142 ruined the field. All you have to do is search google to see how much trouble districts are having recruiting and keeping QUALIFIED SpEd teachers. Many states are just lowering the certification standards and letting just about anyone through. They have to do this because they cannot find teachers. Teaching in the public schools with the exception of a few creme de la creme, usually rich districts is a BAD job. That's regardless of 3 months summer vacation. The schools are, in many ways, a reflection of our society at large:
in a word dysfunctional. I welcome any other serious posters who can actually address the question that was asked in the O.P.

I can well understand your wife's move to lunch lady. Even that can be a stressful job. I'd be curious to know which district you speak of that operates that way and is still #3 best in the state. Seriously handicapped students won't get, imo, the proper attention in such a setup.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:25 AM

50,855 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
SpEd has become what it used to be BEFORE 94-142: A dumping ground for undesirable, usually behavior problem kids. Some of these students are NOT mentally ill, they are just rotten kids (sometimes with rotten parents) that will drive most teachers bonkers so they try to get rid of them through SpEd.

94-142 ruined the field. All you have to do is search google to see how much trouble districts are having recruiting and keeping QUALIFIED SpEd teachers. Many states are just lowering the certification standards and letting just about anyone through. They have to do this because they cannot find teachers. Teaching in the public schools with the exception of a few creme de la creme, usually rich districts is a BAD job. That's regardless of 3 months summer vacation. The schools are, in many ways, a reflection of our society at large:
in a word dysfunctional. I welcome any other serious posters who can actually address the question that was asked in the O.P.

I can well understand your wife's move to lunch lady. Even that can be a stressful job. I'd be curious to know which district you speak of that operates that way and is still #3 best in the state. Seriously handicapped students won't get, imo, the proper attention in such a setup.
Sped is not necessarily about being "mentally ill". Most of the sped kids in the school I administered were not mentally ill, although some may have been.

Old 11-27-2022, 03:50 PM

Well they are children, not old enough to get that label yet. Many kids are behavior problems and it disappears later in life. They get less permanent labels like "emotionally disturbed", etc.
Since your replies were so weak I won't elaborate on the reasons why administrators make applicants jump through ridiculous hoops to apply. They are not ALL like that. A good administrator doesn't need to do that to get good applicants.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
What makes you think the hiring process is exclusively decided by the school principal in a public school setting? In a private school, sure, but not in a public school district-even small ones.

Old 12-01-2022, 12:06 AM

Every job I have interviewed for, it was the Principal doing the interview. Maybe in large Districts what you're saying is true. Those are usually districts I don't apply to precisely because they are so tied in knots with their bureaucracy and also because they are usually the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching